Thredbo - all you need to know

swatto90

Likes Dirt
Me and my brother are heading up there this Sunday, and we're trying to work out how we should dress. Should we bring gear according to the forecast here - http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/thredbo.shtml

It says that it's going to be a top of 8.
Somthing I have learnt about thredo. Perfect riding temp there is anywhere from 10 to 18 degrees. Anything hotter is to hot. Anything colder you notice it. However I would throw on a thermal under normal riding gear and leave it at that.

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
So just back from the opening weekend. Mixed bag of weather. Saturday was pretty diabolical with horrendously wet conditions that got really slippery in the afternoon. Biggest queue all weekend was for the bike wash.

https://instagram.com/p/Bbn3MeOAb6E/

Sunday was a completely different story with glorious sunshine and hero dirt.

I was pretty sad to see the series of linked berms on the flow trail under the chairlift had been removed and replaced with 2 off camber grassy corners that were diabolical in the wet. Seems a shame to remove one flowy section of trail to replace it with something that removes all feeling of flow achieved by that point

I did overhear a conversation in the cafe that this is not the end plan, just a temporary solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking forward to the Cannonball weekend!
Shame about those berms, hope they do something better for the race

Last edited:

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So has anyone heard anything about new trails at Thredbo? I spoke with staff there a while back and they had planning permission to put in 5 new trails over the next 5 years (as of 2 years ago) but heard nothing since. Anyone heard anything. They fucking need some new stuff there...

And there is a very tantalizing line on their mtb page "With new trails opening and revamped existing....." Propaganda?????

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So has anyone heard anything about new trails at Thredbo? I spoke with staff there a while back and they had planning permission to put in 5 new trails over the next 5 years (as of 2 years ago) but heard nothing since. Anyone heard anything. They fucking need some new stuff there...

And there is a very tantalizing line on their mtb page "With new trails opening and revamped existing....." Propaganda?????
They are moving to the central coast.

climberman

Likes Dirt

They have a new link (2018) from the top of Gunbarrel to the lower section of the Flow. Also some re-routing of the All-Mountain to take it more out of the ski runs and into the trees, especially in the lower part (heaps better IMO)

BT180

Max Pfaff
They have a new link (2018) from the top of Gunbarrel to the lower section of the Flow. Also some re-routing of the All-Mountain to take it more out of the ski runs and into the trees, especially in the lower part (heaps better IMO)
That Gunbarrel to Flow link is great. So much fun and a good way to spice things up. Hoping they/re not including that in their 'new stuff'.

climberman

Likes Dirt
That Gunbarrel to Flow link is great. So much fun and a good way to spice things up. Hoping they/re not including that in their 'new stuff'.
Well it's new this decade!

I understand they have approval to build another track they hope to have done by Christmas, weather permitting.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I got in touch with a mate that is part of the Thredbo MTB crew although more recently on a part time basis. He reckons they are still working on the "5 new trails over 5 years" albeit at snails pace. He reckons there is a possibility they'll start on a new top to bottom beginner run this season. Who knows if this will be finished this season but at least it's something. I'm guessing a lot of the delay is NPWS who are super restrictive in Kosci nat park.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am heading down on the 10th November. Will any of the xc stuff or Valley trail be open by then?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I am heading down on the 10th November. Will any of the xc stuff or Valley trail be open by then?
Nah man, you're out of luck. Thredbo receives so much epic snow fall that it is barely melted out by Christmas. You'd be better off taking the skis.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Nah man, you're out of luck. Thredbo receives so much epic snow fall that it is barely melted out by Christmas. You'd be better off taking the skis.
We are heading back to Derby for trip #3 this Chrissy, was potentially thinking it would be Thredbo 2020... surely its clear by then ?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
We are heading back to Derby for trip #3 this Chrissy, was potentially thinking it would be Thredbo 2020... surely its clear by then ?
All piss taking about how woeful the Australian ski fields are and how pitiful their snow accumulation is, I've been to the area over Christmas once almost 20 years ago and it snowed on Christmas day. This confirms that it snows there every Christmas and is in fact the birth place of the song lyrics "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas..."

Also a few years ago the bike season opening day fell victim to a snow storm.

I doubt there'll be any problems, global warming has been hard at work.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
We were hot/warm in Hobart, it was just nice. Got to the Central Highlands, it was snowing. My boys jumped out of the car and threw snowballs.

Tassie is unpredictable, as where anywhere else is.

The best was, they said, DAD you came from a cold Country, how do you keep your hands from getting so cold when you throw snow ?

Dad hits them with the ultimate - Dont grab snow DICKHEADs !

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lower TVT is open now. I'd expect by 10 Nov all of the TVT would be open.
does it extend all the way to jindabyne now? was there over easter and it went past the Crackenback resort about 10km down to the hatchery but you had to backtrack as there was no exit below Crackenback

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
does it extend all the way to jindabyne now? was there over easter and it went past the Crackenback resort about 10km down to the hatchery but you had to backtrack as there was no exit below Crackenback
It was slated for completion this summer, but I'm not sure how fast they can move with this. Doesn't sound like it will be to me.

In fact, disappointingly the site now says this:

"An option to continue downstream along the Thredbo River, within Kosciuszko National Park, to the Thredbo Picnic Area on the Kosciuszko Road is also being investigated"

I feel sure that that was more concrete last season?

They also seem to have added an extra bit from Dead Horse Gap down to Thredbo village.

You can sign up for email updates here, which are regular and quite informative.

Last edited:

climberman

Likes Dirt
yes, all the way to Hatchery and then to Jindabyne

It was slated for completion this summer, but I'm not sure how fast they can move with this. Doesn't sound like it will be to me.

In fact, disappointingly the site now says this:

"An option to continue downstream along the Thredbo River, within Kosciuszko National Park, to the Thredbo Picnic Area on the Kosciuszko Road is also being investigated"

I feel sure that that was more concrete last season?

They also seem to have added an extra bit from Dead Horse Gap down to Thredbo village.

You can sign up for email updates here, which are regular and quite informative.
Not sure on timing for the DHG section, will try to find out, I think next year.