Thredbo - all you need to know

poor relative

Likes Bikes
Very Keen to head down to thredbo this year, but when will it open? I seem to rememer the end of November?? Can anyone shed some light?

jonjon86

Likes Dirt
I'm looking at heading down for a weekend early/mid december with a mate. Were both DH virgins so it should be a big learning curve for us.

Can anyone shead some light on the NRG situation. I was going to have a look at prices & bookings for guides but the site is down.

I cant believe there is only the one run. Does it get crowded and if so, how many runs are possible in a day?

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm looking at heading down for a weekend early/mid december with a mate. Were both DH virgins so it should be a big learning curve for us.

Can anyone shead some light on the NRG situation. I was going to have a look at prices & bookings for guides but the site is down.

I cant believe there is only the one run. Does it get crowded and if so, how many runs are possible in a day?
no it doesnt really get crowded. everytime i hjave been there ive stuggled to see people on my way down the mountain. you can do 10 runs a day easy buy you will feel it that night.
cant shed any light on the nrg situation sorry

zanus

Likes Dirt
no it doesnt really get crowded. everytime i hjave been there ive stuggled to see people on my way down the mountain. you can do 10 runs a day easy buy you will feel it that night.
I got 11
Next day your stuffed
Unless you take Nurofen it will hurt

laura_spark

Likes Dirt

nrg is no more - Phone SE MTB Co on (02) 6457 6234

trouble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fitzy really only 10 runs, mate (^^^previous post) If your a dh vrigin you would look at around 10 runs. But if your new you can easily pump out like 16 and over runs...thats running at like 8minute runs average....you cant do 16 7 minute runs it will kill you haha!!! have fun, I suggest that thredbo is the best first dh course, it has everything and you will learn alot. have fun and good luck

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Sorry, couldn't be bothered reading the whole thread, when does the mountain open for Chairlift DHing?

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With Thredbo MTB re opening this year under new management ( and re opening all the DH old lines as well ) this vid may be of some interest to
riders thinking about the journey ...
man i just watched it keeping an eye out for these old lines:rolleyes:

either way, looking forward to hitting thredez this year- bring it on:D

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
dang it. I have to go this weekend for a family gig, aggggh, I would've made an excuse if I'd known.
Anyone tell me of any other DH near by or some good XC at Thredders?

comb

Likes Dirt
Was planning to go 1st weekend of December but a mate told me the main chairlift doesn't open until December 10 and the chairlift running from Nov 15only takes riders half way up the hill.

I tried calling Thredbo, but the girl I was talking to was retarded and didn't know what the story was.

Does anyone have more information about whether the proper chairlift starts Dec 10, and if it's worth going for the shorter chairlift?

I couldn't see any mention of other chairlifts on their website, if this is the case they should get their shit together.

T-Rex

Template denier
Was planning to go 1st weekend of December but a mate told me the main chairlift doesn't open until December 10 and the chairlift running from Nov 15only takes riders half way up the hill.

I tried calling Thredbo, but the girl I was talking to was retarded and didn't know what the story was.

Does anyone have more information about whether the proper chairlift starts Dec 10, and if it's worth going for the shorter chairlift?
They take the main chair (Kozi Express) down for maintenance at about this time of year and run the Snowgums chair instead. It goes nearly as high as the main chair - whoever told you it only goes half way up the hill has no idea what he's talking about. If you take the Snowgums chair instead of the Kozi Express you only miss out on 45 seconds of fire road decent, on a total track length that takes Sam Hill a bit over 6 minutes. IT's a fun bit of fire road, but it's still just fire road.

IMO it makes little difference which chair they run - I'll be there for the opening weekend race on 15 November, and I'll be going up on the Snowgums chair.

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
oops that would be me...
for some reason i thought it ended mid station. yeah comb dog, its almost to the top. you just miss the fire road.

SLEDGER

Likes Dirt
Our crew from the Central Coast NSW always rides the last weekend of November the 28-29th & the snowgums chair is heaps slower & only a double chair of which loads one rider at one time (watch out for the centre chair bar).

With the quad chair not operating to the top dosen't take a great deal off the experience other then the rock fire road at the top section.

The features are not usually out & newly constructed loose berms are a treat to bed in.

If you ride the track often it is challanging in the early season so come along as riding Thredbo is fun on & off the mountain .

kooty

Likes Bikes
anyone know of some real crappy places to stay? just after the cheapest possible place that can sleep four!

Rent_a_crowd

Likes Dirt
You could try the Youth Hostel in Thredbo Village. Rates start from around $30 per bed per night. That's about the cheapest unless you want to camp at Ngarigo (sp) or the Diggings for nothing but you have to bring your own tent and gear.