Titanium Hardtail

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
had a friend & his partner both buy Ti hard tails -he rides hard-ish she doesn't, both developed cracks at the weld joints…Ti is great cos its light but steel is easier to repair, easier to weld & builders have much more experience with it
This. BiL just cracked his Lynskey roadie. Chainstay tube has split from the hole that Lynskey put in it to take Di2 cable out to derailleur. Gripsport says they can fix it but that titanium creates a risk if re-welding when there's a risk of weld contamination (such as there will be on a bike). Basically, if it ain't perfectly clean it ain't perfect.

Not something I'd ever considered but now that it has been pointed out...steel is still real.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
This. BiL just cracked his Lynskey roadie. Chainstay tube has split from the hole that Lynskey put in it to take Di2 cable out to derailleur. Gripsport says they can fix it but that titanium creates a risk if re-welding when there's a risk of weld contamination (such as there will be on a bike). Basically, if it ain't perfectly clean it ain't perfect.

Not something I'd ever considered but now that it has been pointed out...steel is still real.
Seeing this makes me super glad I didn't get the Di2 model. Unnecessary holes must be a big no no in Ti tubing. Sounds like they create stress focus points.

I've had my Lynskey Sportive disc for 4 years and its had a very hard life. I'm fat but strong, power meter says I peak at 1.1kw on the commute. Sydney roads aren't the best either. It just shrugs it off and keeps on trucking.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Interesting, I haven't heard of these before. Would you mind letting me know the price? Happy to receive PM if you don't want to post it publicly.

I have been thinking about a custom Ti hardtail for a while. I would love a Baum from Melbourne, but I'm not sure I could afford one without taking out a mortgage on my kidney.

I'm also looking for:
29er
XC geometry but happy with slackish head angle <70°
Threaded bottom bracket
Internal cable routing
Not sure about spacing, not keen to commit to Boost and limit compatibility with my current DT 240 wheels

Most of the Ti frames I have been looking at have been custom hand made extravagant stuff. Keen to follow this thread for some more reasonably priced options.
I have a Lynskey Pro 29 you're welcome to check out if you like.

Doesn't have internal routing, but does do geared and ss with the clever drop outs.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just heard back from Hetty, they do fully custom work. I'd love a titanium frame, but cost might end up being prohibitive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Their list price is $2k, not sure if increases if you modify it a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, no Kona's in the country and probably ~$3k
That is ridiculously expensive for what is in essence a mass production frame.
I realise that it's limited and all but that price is crazy.
Kona are a bit on the pricey side. Boutique prices for big production numbers.
Not a bad business model if it works. Bikes seem to be pretty good however. Not ridden one, mate loves his Honzo though.
GT also did the Xizang Ti. Looks nice. And expensive.
And super light.