Too Beaucoup!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Is the paint meant to have a murled mottled cloudy sort of finish or is just the camera playing tricks on me?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Is the paint meant to have a murled mottled cloudy sort of finish or is just the camera playing tricks on me?
The paint jobs actually very good. What you're seeing is the 3m helicopter tape and my crappy application technique.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Updated with final build pictures and notes. Will start discussing my test rides next.

Oddjob

Linkage Designs analysis http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2015/11/pole-evo-link-150mm-2016.html

What I find surprising is how similar the anti-squat and brake jack (anti-rise) are between the Pole and the SAM. http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2013/10/focus-sam-650b-2014.html The main difference appears to be in the pedal kickback (the SAM kills it) and the leverage ratio, which suggests that the Pole would work well with a linear shock like the Vivid air or a coil, whereas the SAM is too regressive and really needs a progressive air shock.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Linkage Designs analysis http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2015/11/pole-evo-link-150mm-2016.html

What I find surprising is how similar the anti-squat and brake jack (anti-rise) are between the Pole and the SAM. http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2013/10/focus-sam-650b-2014.html The main difference appears to be in the pedal kickback (the SAM kills it) and the leverage ratio, which suggests that the Pole would work well with a linear shock like the Vivid air or a coil, whereas the SAM is too regressive and really needs a progressive air shock.
Not particularly insightful, but did chuckle when I saw what bike it was on:
https://enduro-mtb.com/en/air-versus-coil-shock/

Oddjob

Not particularly insightful, but did chuckle when I saw what bike it was on:
https://enduro-mtb.com/en/air-versus-coil-shock/
I love the sticker. I probably won't be getting one for my bike though.

I've got a Monarch plus, Vivid air and Dhx I want to try on the Pole. I suspect I will end up using the Vivid most of the time and save the dhx for bike park work.

Oddjob

Went for the first daytime test ride this morning and crushed my best time on the SAM by a consistent 8%. Downhill, up dale the Pole was quicker. I wasn't pushing on the downhills but the difference in confidence was incredible. I'm expecting to get a few weight category KOMs when I'm more familiar with the bike and start pushing harder.

I saw some gun riders on the trail this morning as well, and comparing Strava times afterwards shows that I'm much closer in time then I have any right to be.

I've been tweaking the drive train and it is now more or less silent. The P321 hub is also starting to get the angry bees a little but still remarkably silent.

I haven't been 100% happy with the Oneup dropper up until this point but it's starting to improve. The install was a total pain in the ass due to the cable end not being captured well. The grub screw setup on the Brand X is much much better. The actuation has been a bit sticky as well but this is starting to get better. The return to top also seems a bit soft, despite me giving it the full 300psi. I will give it a few more rides to see if it improves. If it doesn't I might try something else.

Oddjob

When you calculate differences, do you use the original time as the divider or the new time?
For example, if your previous PB was 01:30.00, and your new PB is 01:15.00 (so 15sec faster) is the calculation:
(15/90)*100 = 16%​
or
(15/75)*100 = 20%​

Is it a frame of reference question? Should it always be calculated on the previous time to show the difference in relation to that?
Or is it percentage result difference between the two times?
(1 - (75/90))*100

Ignore me, it just clicked.
You'e 16% faster than your previous time, and your previous PB is 20% slower than your current time.
Look I know I can't count without a spreadsheet but give me some credit. I use the original time.

Don't even get me started on some of the arguments we have in the office.

"No that's wrong, that's the algorithmic average, you should be using CAGR for multi-year growth averages unless the first difference is stationary."

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
The actuation has been a bit sticky as well but this is starting to get better. The return to top also seems a bit soft, despite me giving it the full 300psi. I will give it a few more rides to see if it improves. If it doesn't I might try something else.
Mine was a bit sticky initially as well, but I found it was the clamp force. I backed mine off and now it's nice and smooth and the post hasn't moved at all from its starting point.

Oddjob

So I went for a sneaky midday ride on the Pole and I'm definitely running too much lsc in the fork. I'm only using 75% travel with the ramp control all the way off. Still improving times though. Probably need to upgrade rubber and take braver lines to improve descent times much more.

Dropper actuation is getting a lot better but the return to full length is still very soft. I'm going to give it a few more weeks before re-assessing.

Got two weeks of leave, so looking forward to mucho quality time with my big Pole.

Oddjob

How is LSC stopping you from using all your travel?

Is that manly damn you rode?
The lsc is basically acting as a really strong platform and soaking up a lot of energy from hits before it blows off to the hsc circuit. Great for supporting the front end under hard brakes but it's just losing too much sensitivity and delaying the hsc. I'm going to wind off some lsc and see what happens. If that doesn't work, back to Simon and adjust the shim stack and blow off circuit.

Yep that's the dam. It's not exactly a bike park but there are a few fast rough sections and some drops, so I should be using up 90% of travel not 75%.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
That pole needs steeper terrain than the dam loop my dude, it’s a big burly enduro bike designed for big trails. Think of that extra travel as backup for when the balls outmatch the skillz.

Work on yourself over the bike to be a true shredder *shakas aggressively my dude*