Totally Over Magpies

Jpez

Down on the left!
I’m wondering if his dad put him up to it as he was filming from a long ways away.
“cmon son you’ll be fine!”
kid will need therapy for years over that.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had an encounter with a ferocious fker a few weeks back like the one in the vid.. After about 5 swoops I stopped and had a crack back, bit of yelling and throwing sticks at it until I had sent it back 100m or so from where it came.. I Hadn’t riden past the same spot for weeks and when I went past a few days ago he went to have a swoop and then bailed. Swooped everyone else.. I think I might use that as my new tactic when I don’t have any food for him... Stand up to the bastards..

Jpez

Down on the left!
I had an encounter with a ferocious fker a few weeks back like the one in the vid.. After about 5 swoops I stopped and had a crack back, bit of yelling and throwing sticks at it until I had sent it back 100m or so from where it came.. I Hadn’t riden past the same spot for weeks and when I went past a few days ago he went to have a swoop and then bailed. Swooped everyone else.. I think I might use that as my new tactic when I don’t have any food for him... Stand up to the bastards..
You’re a braver man than I.
Last winged attacker I had I was too terrified to do anything but wimper like that kid and keep riding as fast as I could.
I reckon the one I had would have claimed an eyeball if I’d tried that

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Generally speaking - this is the worst thing you can do. Makes them more aggressive. Might give you a wide berth, but will hammer everyone else even more.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I reckon they should relocate the really agro birds, not much worse than getting smacked in the head when you're trying to concentrate on riding through heavy traffic, anywhere else and it would have been deemed a health hazard.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Generally speaking - this is the worst thing you can do. Makes them more aggressive. Might give you a wide berth, but will hammer everyone else even more.
Fair call, i just used to feed the aggro ones a bit of meat if I needed to go past their nests often.. Seemed to work once or twice i tried it.. I was going on the theory magpies have long memories and don’t forget a face.. The ones near our house that we have occasionally fed never swoop. But do go randoms passing by..
Atm I have Carawongs nesting in my backyard, it such a beautiful thing to watch the local maggies getting the shit swooped out of them if they dare step foot in the yard..

beeb

Fair call, i just used to feed the aggro ones a bit of meat if I needed to go past their nests often.. Seemed to work once or twice i tried it.. I was going on the theory magpies have long memories and don’t forget a face.. The ones near our house that we have occasionally fed never swoop. But do go randoms passing by..
Atm I have Carawongs nesting in my backyard, it such a beautiful thing to watch the local maggies getting the shit swooped out of them if they dare step foot in the yard..
You may be doing this already, but I believe the trick is to feed them enough to recognise you outside of swooping season...

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
You may be doing this already, but I believe the trick is to feed them enough to recognise you outside of swooping season...
Karma for magpies. Currawongs are awesome. we have had a pair nest in the area for the past couple of years. They have zero tolerance for magpies.
The arsehole noisy miners (little flying cunts) try to bully and swoop the currawongs, which shits me off.

beeb

Yep the noisy miners are a right pain in the arse. I've only ever seen one Currawong locally, but there's Maggies aplenty. I'm barely home enough to tame them, so just put up with seasonal head bopping!

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Yep the noisy miners are a right pain in the arse. I've only ever seen one Currawong locally, but there's Maggies aplenty. I'm barely home enough to tame them, so just put up with seasonal head bopping!
hat and sunnies to protect the eyes

beeb

hat and sunnies to protect the eyes
True, though fortunately the ones nearest me only give the leg flick/bounce on top of your head, and aren't so keen on the trying to rip your ears off or eyes out luckily!

gippyz

Likes Dirt
i hope the magpies are not protected. Someone better start culling them as they're everywhere and are more aggro these days! By Loftus oval, on the cycleway to work just to name a couple.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
i hope the magpies are not protected. Someone better start culling them as they're everywhere and are more aggro these days! By Loftus oval, on the cycleway to work just to name a couple.
Lets just cull everything we dont like...

Calvin27

Eats Squid
are more aggro these days!
It's positive reinforcement. You ride off in fear and magpie thinks it works well.

I've got two magpies on my local loops. Both aggressive and both happen to perch at the top of the hill to fuck you up after a climb. One I am going to feed and the other I am going to take no shit from. See which works better.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
We have a big family of noisy miners in the park across the road. They will gang up on anything - magpies, ibises, parrots, dogs, cats. Our cat gets harassed by a bunch of them if he dares to sit in the front yard.

There is a smallish grey/black magpie looking bird that goes me on the first climb of my local ride. If you don't keep eye contact then he goes for your ears. He gives me about 4 dives over a 40m distance. A bird of courage.