Totally Over Magpies

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
i hope the magpies are not protected.
I'm pretty sure they are here, in NZ they usually get the same treatment as possums.

Thankfully those PITA noisy miners haven't been introduced, those fuckers would decimate the locals, bastards would probably even go a moa if they ever happened to cross paths.

Last edited:

mark22

Likes Dirt
We have a big family of noisy miners in the park across the road. They will gang up on anything - magpies, ibises, parrots, dogs, cats. Our cat gets harassed by a bunch of them if he dares to sit in the front yard.

There is a smallish grey/black magpie looking bird that goes me on the first climb of my local ride. If you don't keep eye contact then he goes for your ears. He gives me about 4 dives over a 40m distance. A bird of courage.
Probably a Pied Bucher bird ( they have lovely call) and seem to like chewing ears.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I've gotten used to waving one arm above my head as I ride past the known maggies that swoop me. Haven't been hit once when I spot them first and get the arm up, they keep their distance from the swinging arm.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I've gotten used to waving one arm above my head as I ride past the known maggies that swoop me. Haven't been hit once when I spot them first and get the arm up, they keep their distance from the swinging arm.
Fair enough, I wouldn’t want to be seen near you either.

“Who? That guy? I thought he was your mate!”

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I've been using the googly eyes on the back of the helmet. It seems to have kept the maggies away.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We have a big family of noisy miners in the park across the road. They will gang up on anything - magpies, ibises, parrots, dogs, cats. Our cat gets harassed by a bunch of them if he dares to sit in the front yard.
We have a lot of wattlebirds around us and they are even more aggressive than the noisy miners.. They have basically driven out most other birds and even hassle the Carrawongs. And to add insult to injury their call is fking disgusting and annoying at 4am...
Noisy miners visit occasionally usually having a brawl with another bird, but the wattlebirds just swoop in and smash them..

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
We have a lot of wattlebirds around us and they are even more aggressive than the noisy miners.. They have basically driven out most other birds and even hassle the Carrawongs. And to add insult to injury their call is fking disgusting and annoying at 4am...
Noisy miners visit occasionally usually having a brawl with another bird, but the wattlebirds just swoop in and smash them..
Native birds are bit nuts. It is tough neighbourhood I guess. Glad we don't have wattlebirds hanging around.
The Ibis seems to be the coolest customer and doesn't care about anything except lunch.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

I'd be returning to the site with a shotgun
that seems like a case for killing a problem magpie. I try to talk to all the local ones near home, and they aren't an issue, however That behaviour in injuring the man cannot be allowed to normalize.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
That would be a solid meal!!
I watched a chook eat a huge huntsman years ago, she looked like she was slurping up spaghetti noodles.
The Magpie will need a nap after that treat.

The mini copilot and I witnessed a couple of walkers get swooped by a maggie yesterday. Lucky it was a half-hearted warning swoop and lucky it didn't go for us.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Got proper swooped by a magpie with the little guy on the bike today. We don't normally ride this area but decided to take a short cut. It followed us for about 50m and went for my helmet 4-5 times.
Thank fuck for front mounted bike seats, as I was able to cover my son. He was pretty upset at having his head squashed into the weeride crash pad and hearing his Mum swearing profusely at a bird though.

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Got proper swooped by a magpie with the little guy on the bike today. We don't normally ride this area but decided to take a short cut. It followed us for about 50m and went for my helmet 4-5 times.
Thank fuck for front mounted bike seats, as I was able to cover my son. He was pretty upset at having his head squashed into the weeride crash pad and hearing his Mum sweating profusely at a bird though.
I also sweat profusely when riding, bird or not.