Totally Over Magpies

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Haha great photo! Time to dig out some cable ties, my commute has an active magpie alley to run the gauntlet on!

Gotta admire their enthusiasm :)

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll take a magpie swoop over a plover any day.
I reckon, those things make a magpie look like a budgie.

Love watching birds, we have loads of various types of birds of prey at work, luckily all our maggies are tame as from the golfers feeding them.

If anyone from Vic rides the Red Hill trails be aware of he magpie on Authurs Seat RD if your heading from the school to the water tank, its the worst I have ever come across.

patto_15

Wheel size expert
This is a shot my mum got the other day, i don't think i could get that close to the bastards..

10636381_853857697957845_5321599385008347659_o.jpg

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
Awesome photos!

I've not seen them with their wings stretched out like that.

Cool bird love their warbling song.

stirk

Burner
Has anyone been swooped by a magpie on the trails?

I've only seen them close to people, housing and easy food like poodles.

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll take a magpie swoop over a plover any day.
Can't say I share the same thought. Been swooped by both plenty of times, plover has never ever actually hit me, magpie every time without doubt hits me, most of the time on the cheek, and it scares the shit outta ya.

stirk

Burner
I recently bought a slug gun. I have also started getting up very early!
Good for you, you have a slug gun and get up early.

But if you are implying you are going to start shooting magpies with your gun then I hope one of em swoops you good and takes out your sight eye.

moorey

call me Mia
Good for you, you have a slug gun and get up early.

But if you are implying you are going to start shooting magpies with your gun then I hope one of em swoops you good and takes out your sight eye.
I'll go one better...If I find out its anything other than trolling, I'll be happy to send someone in a uniform around to your place to have a chat about that :whistle:

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
it's been years since I was last divebombed by a magpie.

does helmet colour make a difference? I read somewhere ( http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/ ??)

That maggies attack light/white helmets more than dark colours. could all be BS. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

will2 could do some good by selling his slug gun, buying a Marlin lever action .45-70, then going bush and hunting feral pigs.
Exterminate those fuckers. leave the magpies alone.

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
it's been years since I was last divebombed by a magpie.

does helmet colour make a difference? I read somewhere ( http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/ ??)

That maggies attack light/white helmets more than dark colours. could all be BS. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

will2 could do some good by selling his slug gun, buying a Marlin lever action .45-70, then going bush and hunting feral pigs.
Exterminate those fuckers. leave the magpies alone.
You either have one of the nasty fuckers nearby or you don't.

I haven't been dive bombed anywhere except for one spot, and I'd happily have will2 shoot the fucker in defense of all other magpies. Dive bomber lunatic magpies are rare and as fucked in the head as any pedophile and about as aberrant.

The family of magpies near my place are great birds, as are the ones at my MILs - the one I'm thinking about that is violent, insane and dangerous. It should be prevented from breeding and passing on its aberrant behaviour to its young

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
fair enough, Pharmaboy. I suppose there are going to be some magpies that spent a lot of time down the shallow end of the gene pool.

do local council animal control officers ever deal with such things, or do they unhelpfully say to just stay away from that area?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
fair enough, Pharmaboy. I suppose there are going to be some magpies that spent a lot of time down the shallow end of the gene pool.

do local council animal control officers ever deal with such things, or do they unhelpfully say to just stay away from that area?
Most councils seem to do something but it needs some hospitalisations plus complaints ( well that's what I've read on the interwebs anyway)

I've tried different helmets - no joy. Got off and walked, no attack. Rode 200m around the little fucker, and the Hope hubs gave me up and he came after me - I'd wring it's neck in a heartbeat!

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dive bombing is not something they really have a say over. It's instinct. You'd have a better chance of turning Collingwood supporters into non-cretinous fashionistas than stopping magpies being magpies by shooting out the gene pool.

My local family have new babies. The mother is rabid in her constant feeding and supervision of the nest and the male has to comply or she'll kick him out. He's a new male after brutally killing the last guy early this year. I saw him follow a couple of cyclists the other day, but he didn't swoop them.