NSW Trail Maintenance - Royal National Park

barron

Likes Dirt
Signed up to Plan Of Management Review last week and submitted some comments encouraging an increase in MTB access across the RNP. Has anyone else been involved? What ere your comments? What ideas do you have for MTB in the area?

Are there any build days on the horizon?

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Are there any build days on the horizon?
Volunteer Trail maintenance days are the third Saturday of each month. Someone usually posts the details in this thread a couple of days out so keep an eye out here.

Nice work on the Comments too, big help.

willsy01

Eats Squid
I'm thinking the weather will come into play. Rain (not showers, rain) is forecast all day today and scattered showers tomorrow morning :(

Check this thread when you wake up, i'm sure someone will post.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got this email on Tuesday...

Dear all

As you are most likely aware this Saturday is the 3rd Saturday of the month so Royal Area staff welcome you to assist with some trail rehabilitation works – as part of the on-going sustainable use of the network of MTB trails in the north end of Royal National Park.

We will meet in the Royal Area carpark at 9am and work through to 12–12.30. You are free to arrive later or leave earlier if that suits you – but please let the Royal Area know so we can organise tools, tasks, and materials to provide enough work for us all.

Tasks for Saturday include;

• Open track diversion
• Rock armour widening of trails
• Install Temporary signage to advise trail users of diversion
• Rake leaf litter out of drains
• Trim vegetation on other MTB trails (if time permits)

Please come dressed in appropriate attire – sensible work shoes, long sleeves, long sleeved shirt, hat, gloves, sunblock and water to drink. We can provide some tea/coffee/biscuits but otherwise you are self-contained.

If its raining we will still go out – seeing where the rain runs off the tracks is of value to us too.

Please RSVP by email or phone 9542 0632 by 7am Saturday if you get the chance – thankyou.

Regards

Leigh Nolan
Ranger - Royal National Park
National Parks & Wildlife Service
Office of Environment & Heritage
Department of Premier & Cabinet
Ph: 9542 0633 or 0439 858 232
Email: leigh.nolan@environment.nsw.gov.au

barron

Likes Dirt
Sorry guys, I'm keen to help out and get involved, but have a close mates bucks party all day.
As for my first build day, I expect late december will be a big question mark for all involved, so it may have to wait till next year.

I live in the RNP and always keen for a ride if people are looking for riding buddies.
Cheers

abevern

Likes Dirt
Thanks, I will be there. Where is the Royal Area carpark meeting place?
Enter park at Farnell Ave. take the first left after the toll booths into the carpark. There's an office building there amongst the trees on the rhs.

I'll be there unless its belting down.

Weather update from Bom:
. Cloudy. Patchy drizzle at first, easing to isolated showers in the morning and clearing by afternoon .

abevern

Likes Dirt
Nov 2012 - Build Report

What an awesome day! Perfect weather and 9 volunteers! I can't remember the last time 9 people turned up for maintenance.
The diversion is officially open:
DSCN2672.JPG
Just like the sign says - as a result of unmaintainable fall line trail routing, we were able to design and build a diversion around the worst section. The diversion makes a priority of managing water run-off and rider traffic from the outset. Hopefully, this will lead to reduced maintenance, reduced erosion and increased enjoyment for a majority of the trail users.

The diversion consists of two parts which together form a (very) rough "S" shape. The upper section is very short, and serves to reduce speed (via a choke point and a slight rise) and then turns about 180 degrees before crossing the existing trail into the lower section.
Entry to the upper section from uphill side. (OLD trail red. NEW trail green)
DSCN2662.jpg
Because you're turning down a hill, we added a berm. Note also the drainage before and after.
DSCN2663.JPG
At the bottom of the lower section, we decided to enter 2-3m higher than originally planned, as this was the route that people had been taking subsequent to the hazard reduction burn. This meant that we had to deal with turning across a pine log. A large piece of sandstone formed the basis for a ramp.
DSCN2666.JPG
From a riding perspective, the new section is definitely easier. This is appropriate given the proportion of beginning to intermediate riders we saw on the trails. We have tried to ensure the new section is fun, while staying within the constraints of working in a national park. I expect there will be some resistance to the closure of the original line in a couple of months time, but I hope most will agree that overall the diversion is a win for all parties.
The new trail - awaiting your tyre tracks:
DSCN2665.JPG
Thanks to everyone who leant a hand in making this possible!

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Next one needs to be corralling rocks for the features previously built in IMO (rock bridge as an example) ... FYI, talk of heli drops for Menai ... maybe if we can convince people to pool resources and chip in they can do both locations ???

*edit ... was a good day ... I actually enjoyed digging for a change :)

Last edited:

markb84

Likes Dirt
It was a fun and productive day, I wish I could have stayed a bit longer.

Rode it last night after a fair amount of rain had landed and the drains have done their job pretty well. There's definetely still a bit more work to be done to get the line to ride correctly but it's pretty good, definately more interesting zig-zagging across a section for 20 seconds than flying through for 3 seconds!

Can't wait for the next build day

willsy01

Eats Squid
Just FYI, someone had removed all those logs again......so I put them all back. That was yesterday so I wouldn't be surprised if they're already gone again.

It might be worth putting a sign up saying that they've been put there for a reason. I guess the other option is some BFRs.

markb84

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I went there yesterday and they were gone again, I put them back again but someone certainly seems determined to have that section open, I suggest next build day we go with a fridge rock, 4-5 man lift jobbie along with 2-3 corralling rocks, maybe they'll finally give up and use the much better bermed line around the tree....

abevern

Likes Dirt
Failing that, a tiger pit.......
Agreed, though I have previously searched eBay for a tiger with no luck. Fridge sized rocks we can probably manage. :)

I too had considered a sign appealing to reason. Leigh mentioned that any signage would need to conform to departmental standards. (see pic from last build report as an example)

Last edited: