NSW Trail Maintenance - Royal National Park

JBR

Likes Dirt
Thanks cronar ( and others ) for helping keep the trails "proper".

Bmar - I think you're onto something with the strava segment. I've been struggling to work out why anyone would want straighter trails.
I for one enjoyed that section of trail more before the diversion was put in.

markb84

Likes Dirt
I for one enjoyed that section of trail more before the diversion was put in.
Me too, you could really fly down there before. The new section is coming together gradually and starting to flow a bit better now, still a couple of bits that aren't working though, one corner in particular is really annoying me. The recent rain has shown up that it still needs some more work on the drainage too as there's water pooling in a couple of areas.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It looks like another clash with the Menai build day on the 16th March. Is there any chance of moving the RNP build day this month to avoid the clash or should I start cloning myself so I can attend both?

abevern

Likes Dirt
It looks like another clash with the Menai build day on the 16th March. Is there any chance of moving the RNP build day this month to avoid the clash or should I start cloning myself so I can attend both?
Bummer on the clash. I'm out for a few weeks anyway due to an injury. I can talk to the rangers to see if it's possible to shift, but I wouldn't like to do that and then have no one turn up.
So can anyone make Sat 23rd if it can be changed? Unfortunately I can't.

markb84

Likes Dirt
I can't confirm the 23rd at the moment, hope i'd be able to but won't know until next week.

There are some areas that are struggling at the moment after all the rainfall. Though I did notice yesterday that some good soul has sorted out the drains on the south side descent to the creek, still some areas that need attention though, key parts on that main section of trail are:

- The rock garden on the south side. Needs some major work, I would suggest we need to source some nice flat rocks from the stockpile and rebuild most of it in order to appear less intimidating for inexperienced riders as lots of people appear to be riding around still. After the rock garden is fixed up some proper corralling features need to be installed to aid in the regen of the now very rutted track to the side of it.

- Before the log jump/obstacle on the north side water is pooling and mud is forming, a little armouring here should easily resolve that.

- Still a little tweaking required on teh diversion but those berms are riding nicely now, the dip across the old trail after the berms though is struggling when wet, a well placed large flat rock will fix that

- At the creek it's a complete mess, muddy ruts everywhere. Mostly at the base of the south side descent. This is continuing to get worse and people are diverting off the main trail to avoid the mud and creating new paths, which are also getting muddy. A couple of new drains before the log feature, some armouring and closing of diversions will be needed.

Given the traffic currently going through there all the issues with drainage have been made worse, especially as people continue to ride badly affected sections through standing water.

JBR

Likes Dirt
We dont want to make a habit of this

Dont want to make a habit of these clashes, however we are dictated largely by council and their requirements. Should be back "on track" next month.

Kind Regards

Justin

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bummer on the clash. I'm out for a few weeks anyway due to an injury. I can talk to the rangers to see if it's possible to shift, but I wouldn't like to do that and then have no one turn up.
So can anyone make Sat 23rd if it can be changed? Unfortunately I can't.
At this stage I can make the 23rd.

- At the creek it's a complete mess, muddy ruts everywhere. Mostly at the base of the south side descent. This is continuing to get worse and people are diverting off the main trail to avoid the mud and creating new paths, which are also getting muddy. A couple of new drains before the log feature, some armouring and closing of diversions will be needed.

Given the traffic currently going through there all the issues with drainage have been made worse, especially as people continue to ride badly affected sections through standing water.
This section probably needs a rethink as people are going around the main line both in the wet and the dry. I am not sure of what the solution is.

abevern

Likes Dirt
This section probably needs a rethink as people are going around the main line both in the wet and the dry. I am not sure of what the solution is.
I agree that the big log is a problem. I think the solution involves a dedicated b line, or removing it entirely. It's clear that no amount of ramping will make it rideable for a majority of riders. Sadly.

JBR

Likes Dirt
I agree that the big log is a problem. I think the solution involves a dedicated b line, or removing it entirely. It's clear that no amount of ramping will make it rideable for a majority of riders. Sadly.
Its either that or the fact that people are inherently lazy and will take the easiest path available. Make it a no option but to go over it scenario and you will be amazed what happens.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its either that or the fact that people are inherently lazy and will take the easiest path available. Make it a no option but to go over it scenario and you will be amazed what happens.
I agree but the ground is so soft there that it is too easy to make alternative lines. A lot of material would beed needed to force people onto the line and I think they would just punch around what ever was put in.

I had a good look at it today and I think the issue is that the line coming over the log points you straight into the creek and you can not see the line (or its condition) until you have committed to riding over it. Going around the log it gives you a better approach to set up for the creek crossing.

I think a straight line approaching the creek crossing would work better for most riders.

As a climbing line it works pretty well in the other direction and since it is a 2 way track it is always going to be hard to build it to ride well in both directions.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think this is really sad, but indicative of the value placed on the trails in the RNP by NPWS and mtbers...

Hi all

As a result of the Menai working day clashing with our NPWS working day tomorrow, we have decided to cancel the works day for tomorrow.

The next Mountain Bike works day is scheduled for Saturday 20th April.

THanks

Andres Bianchi
Ranger
Royal Area
Metro South West Region
Parks and Wildlife Group
Office of Environment and Heritage
Department of Premier and Cabinet (N.S.W)

ph: (02) 9542 0635
fax: (02) 9542 1420
mobile: 0418 601 745
email: andres.bianchi@environment.nsw.gov.au
PO Box 144 Sutherland NSW 1499

Mr_Max

Squid
Blair Witch

Hey guys, went for my first ride in 6 months today after a hand injury and was so stoked at the work done on the blair witch single's. One thing though.... doe the NPWS not allow berms? Its nearly impossible to keep any speed in there.
Also the area around the swamp/lake/body of water is heaps of fun now.

keep up the awesome work fairies

Mike95

Likes Dirt
Gotta duck your head in thru blair witch in spots. During night rides in there i've knocked my helmet mount light numerous on the low hanging trees.
Fun section though, I find you can hold good speed thru the middle, but need to be careful on the last few corners at each end for on coming traffic.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
doe the NPWS not allow berms?
I have no idea, but a small one was put on the new track diversion.

Berms and a few rolling mounds to play on would be cool, especially amongst the flatter sections and might keep people on a preferred line.

Mr_Max

Squid
I have no idea, but a small one was put on the new track diversion.

Berms and a few rolling mounds to play on would be cool, especially amongst the flatter sections and might keep people on a preferred line.

Yeah I think I know the one you mean... was nice to keep a bit of speed... I really like that diversion.

I few rollers would be pretty good too.

Berms are also very good at stopping ruts.... When people can keep speed up through a corner they wont jam on the anchors thus eroding the trail.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is anyone planning on attending this to try and lobby for mtbing?
I doubt the RNP would consider MTB on the costal track. I think the best efforts would be spent improving and expanding the existing MTB trail network to link up to Audley.