Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
SCOTUS has agreed to hear arguments starting in April regarding presidential immunity. That delays Chutkin's trial.
Absolute ****s. Not overly surprised given Clarence Thomas's wife was involved in January 6. Guessing he really doesn't want that Mark Meadows testimony to be made public.

Still f***ing bullshit though. Given the obstruction and jamming up various Trump allies are doing to both the Georgia and documents cases as well the only one likely to go to trial before the election is the hush money one, which is the only case unlikely to kill his electability or send him to jail.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I wonder if they realise this will set a precedent that will apply to Democrat presidents too?
The chances of the system remaining intact and a democrat getting anywhere near the presidency ever again when Trump wins again are pretty low. Outside of a war and/or revolution.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The chances of the system remaining intact and a democrat getting anywhere near the presidency ever again when Trump wins again are pretty low. Outside of a war and/or revolution.
I have deep concerns around what he may do to the bureaucracy and the ability of other nations to partner and share with the US.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I have deep concerns around what he may do to the bureaucracy and the ability of other nations to partner and share with the US.
I have no doubt the US will be completely unworkable as a partner for anyone. Expect maybe Russia.

The whole government will be broken, and corporates will be the decision makers I think.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
To be honest that ruling should have been expected. While the way a state conducts its elections is done on a state by state basis (which is how the constitution is written for elections) the 14th amendment is a whole of union provision and not written for each individual state to exercise it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It is interesting that the Supreme Court chose not to make any comment on whether Trump incited the insurrection but only used the technical bases of the Constitution to strike out what Colorado had done.
With regards to Thomas and the others the Senate should start an inquiry into the performance and operation of the Court which they are entitled to do. The judges on the court would have to sit in front of a senate committee and answer questions. Wouldn't go anywhere but would be a useful tool long term.

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
It is interesting that the Supreme Court chose not to make any comment on whether Trump incited the insurrection but only used the technical bases of the Constitution to strike out what Colorado had done.
With regards to Thomas and the others the Senate should start an inquiry into the performance and operation of the Court which they are entitled to do. The judges on the court would have to sit in front of a senate committee and answer questions. Wouldn't go anywhere but would be a useful tool long term.
The supreme court are only there to answer specific questions relating to law, not fact and so a reading between the lines assessment is that he has indeed been found to be an insurrectionist.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
not exactly sophistry (but could be syphilis?)

“There’s nobody that’s better, smarter or a better leader than Viktor Orbán. He’s fantastic"

Trump added that the European autocrat is “a noncontroversial figure because he said, ‘This is the way it’s going to be,’ and that’s the end of it, right? He’s the boss and … he’s a great leader, fantastic leader. In Europe and around the world, they respect him.”

isn't Orban an arsehole?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
not exactly sophistry (but could be syphilis?)

“There’s nobody that’s better, smarter or a better leader than Viktor Orbán. He’s fantastic"

Trump added that the European autocrat is “a noncontroversial figure because he said, ‘This is the way it’s going to be,’ and that’s the end of it, right? He’s the boss and … he’s a great leader, fantastic leader. In Europe and around the world, they respect him.”

isn't Orban an arsehole?
Probably not. Would have to improve an awful lot in all humanitarian areas to get to arsehole.