Tubeless setup

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Def got the technique going and my DT rims and AC rims are easy. Schwalbes onto Roval rims is a half hour swear fest involving three tyre levers. They are damn nice tyres and rims though.

I actually caved and bought one of those tyre plug kits a while back cause there ain’t no way those tyres are coming off on the side of the trail !
Have you tried lubing the bead? Armor all is amazing for this.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Have you tried lubing the bead? Armor all is amazing for this.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I sometime wipe a bit of the sealant around the rim. Will try a bit of silicon spray next time. My cars haven’t seen armorall in years !

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Agreed. The hardest part it getting the bloody tyre on sometimes. Schwalbe.
Schwalbe is nightmare. Hours of swearing when I tried to mount 2.8 and 3.0 onto syntace rim with 30mm id. Someone recommended to add extra layers of tape. Since the tubeless tapes are so pricey, I used the gorillas from bunnings instead. The tyre sit and stay inflated! Yay!

Few months later when I needed to change the tyre, the bugger won't even come off! The bead is super glued to the rim, it won't even pop out. Took it to bike shop and the guy said the tyre need to be cut. I reckon the glue on the gorilla tape somehow reacted with the sealant and causes the tyre to be glued to the rim as if it was glued with super glue. Bloody nightmare.

No more extra tape layers from now. If the tyre doesn't inflate, I just chuck a tube on it, inflate it until the bead pop, pop out one side, take tube out, pop it back in, then inflate. I've tried this on many stubborn tyres including the Schwalbe and Panaracer. Always works.

moorey

call me Mia
Wire bead FTW
Sometimes they’re the worst. Had to fit a new maxxis DH tyre for Felix at Bright. Usually a floor pump will do it. Took it to 3 shops before finding one that had a big enough burst of air to inflate it.
The servo ‘flat tyre’ function did nothing.
This one was a right bugger for some reason.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I dunno what all the moaning about Schwalbe is all about. I had a brand new pair of Hans Dampf installed, sealed and inflated in half an hour recently. Never had a problem with the Nobby Nics I used previously, either.

I've found Peaty's sealant to be the best so far, specifically if you have a tyre that's a bit weepy. I have a Minion SS that was weeping real bad. Replaced the Sealant with Peaty's, and it's been bone dry since.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
For those that might be curious, I've been trying Muc-offs sealant for the last few months and can't recommend it unfortunately.
Mix is very thick which works against it in quickly sealing punctures, also seems to dry quickly.... back to Stan's Race Sealant I go.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
there is nothing wrong with any rim or tyre . It's the combinations of smaller rim with slightly smaller tyre or large w large , that's the problem .

moorey

call me Mia
About to try this one, anyone used it? I normally use bear outdoor masking tape, but this is a better width. I’m hoping 36mm wide will pull down nicely to accommodate 30 mm internals.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
About to try this one, anyone used it? I normally use bear outdoor masking tape, but this is a better width. I’m hoping 36mm wide will pull down nicely to accommodate 30 mm internals. View attachment 358020
Yep, I use this on most of my rims. It seals well but don't pull it too hard while installing it or it stretches and can leak. If it's the one I'm thinking of when you look a it really closely it looks like it has little ribs running across the tape, if you pull it too tight they start to turn white and create little channels that can effect sealing.

But with that caution in mind and wrapping the rim with two layers, for me it barely looses any pressure over several weeks for me. I like it.

EDIT: Come to think of it (and your favourite components), the only rim I had it fail on was a Hope rim with a deep center well, I think it tried to expand down into the center well and tore. That was with trimmed-down tape and on a Hope Tech XC rim at higher pressures though.

moorey

call me Mia
Cool. Hoping it’s more adhesive than the bear. I have been having a few issues with it on anodised/matt finished rims occasionally.

beeb

Cool. Hoping it’s more adhesive than the bear. I have been having a few issues with it on anodised/matt finished rims occasionally.
Just edited the previous post - but you were too quick - please refer above for info regarding deep-well rims.

I've found it worked fine with Spank Oozy rims, DT Swiss XM481's and Nextie carbon rims. Will use again.

moorey

call me Mia
Trying out a tape that I bought a month ago and posted a pic with of. Early results look very promising. It’s another outdoor tape, Less plasticy, and more adhesive than the Bear outdoor masking tape I’ve been using for years, and a lot easier to manage, and less messy and gorilla tape.
The bear tape is only 25mm, and while I’ve had a great run with it, occasional anodized rims didn’t want to stick to it.

This is the perfect blend of stretch and strength based on first impressions. Only comes in a 35 mm width, so I ran a blade around a few times to get it to my desired 30mm.

Will update with a long term test. It’s dearer than the Bear outdoor tape, but I needed less. On a par with Gorilla, but much easier to apply and remove.

beeb

Haha, I have a roll that looks exactly the same.

I found it can eventually become brittle and crack on some rims, but that was after around a year or so on the Spank rims.

No dramas so far with the Carbon nexties, but the matte-finish carbon seals to the tape really well.

moorey

call me Mia
I’ll keep an eye on it. The Bear, being narrower, also tended to catch a tyre bead more and roll off a bit more during fitting and removal.