Victoria - Motorcyle Licensing

|Matt|

Banned
Does anyone in Victoria know the procedure of obtaining a motorcycle license, the fees involved and what the test is?

I have been riding motorbikes for a number of years and am more than capable and confident on one on and off the road so I feel that getting my license may not be such a bad idea.

Knowing that I have a decent amount of experience riding, and that I have a drivers license for a car, would I be able to simply do the test without doing any sort of reading up or getting any lessons? Are the rules and such transferable from car to motorbike, or will I need to get lessons from a motorcycle instructor?

How is the test conducted? Does the instructor ride on the back of the bike, or is it just a written test?

Cheers!

Last edited:

|Matt|

Banned
Cheers. I had a look on the VicRoads site which was far less than helpful, I'll check that one out when it loads (capped).

BigC

Likes Bikes
Does anyone in Victoria know the procedure of obtaining a motorcycle license, the fees involved and what the test is?

I have been riding motorbikes for a number of years and am more than capable and confident on one on and off the road so I feel that getting my license may not be such a bad idea.

Knowing that I have a decent amount of experience riding, and that I have a drivers license for a car, would I be able to simply do the test without doing any sort of reading up or getting any lessons? Are the rules and such transferable from car to motorbike, or will I need to get lessons from a motorcycle instructor?
How is the test conducted? Does the instructor ride on the back of the bike, or is it just a written test?

Im in the same situation. I call a mob called stay upright and they said it was $220 to go for your Ls and $240 for your Ps both have half day tests

skivi

Likes Dirt
i did mine through HART (Honda Australia Rider Training)

i did a Saturday - Sunday course for complete novices, the instructors were amazing, the course was perfect and extremely well rounded everything from purchasing a bike to bump starting was included. i never recommend anyone else. they do one day courses too for guys with experience.

colourclassic

Likes Dirt
I did mine at Armstrong Driver Education. I did the full day one, which includes some training and then testing. Would have to be the easiest test I have ever done. Just need to do low speed cornering, emergency stops and some slow riding.

If you have some experience on a bike already, I'm sure you'll pass.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
I think sawtel had a thread a little while ago ?

yup!

not really knowing what you know, but its all out there on the net.. but heres a quick run down.

LEARNERS
you get your "learners" now, this is possible to be done as just a test, the learners test involves a practical riding test, which is riding between two lines, around a corner and maybe a stop, cant really remember, but its pretty damn easy! and there is a written/multi choice question test, its not so much road rules, its more hazard prevention, from memory, questions like, "here is a car, its in the left lane, you are riding right next to them, should you be here?"

all VERY easy, but pretty confusing.. you pretty much wont fail.

you may have noticed i said it was a "test" only, technicaly this is true (ask vic roads), but try to find someone, or a company that will let you just do the test, ... you cant i tried! they all want you to do atleast the days course, which varies place to place, but roughly 170-200 for a weekday, and 250-280 for a weekend.
i did mine at stay upright.

once you have got that, you must keep that for 3 months, then you can go and do your full liscence. which is technicaly your P's.

FULL LISCENCE
this is a full prac test, and easy as piss, you literaly cant fail, unless you have never riden a bike before, and even then it would be hard, unless you dropped the bike 4 times going around 2 corners and stopping a couple times!!

it involves a "light box" which has a stop light, and an indicator either side, you ride at it, at about 20kms/h, a light flashes and you do that as well as you can (swerve left, right, stop).. there is markings on the road, and depending on your speed it says how wide/quick you should have swerved/stopped, and what you did, minus one from the other and thats your points. impossible to fail.

The other is ride around a corner as fast as you can within the lines.. you get points for how long it takes, with a max of 8 points (a stack). your allowed to get 40 points for the test!

once again, according to vic roads its only a "test", but in real life, no one will let you just do the test.

i did mine at HART.. would have done it at stay upright, but i almost got done by the stupid rule of, once your learners expire, you have to re do your learners, and that is 13-14 months, and they dont send you a warning its a fuckin stupid system!!! i didnt want, or need my P's/fulls, but i only had 5 days left before i lost my learners! and hart was the only place that had a spot left..

in regards to your fulls, it gets a bit weird when your on your car P's,...

i know your on red P's, so ill explain best i can.
you get your learners, after 3 months,.
do your fulls, you then have to ride with a red p plate if you are on your red P liscence (if your on full liscence no plate), for 12 months.
then you can ride what ever bike you want, but if your on your car p's, its still called your moto P's and have to display a plate (even through your not restricted)..

as you can tell, im really fuckin bored!

|Matt|

Banned
Ah okay awesome, thanks a bomb for all that. Do you remember at all how much it is? I'd like to get it without my old folks knowing, so if its too much I probably won't get it for now. Only reason I say I don't want my old folks knowing is they'll be like 'ohhh no you're not getting a road license while you live under this roof' and such. They would say 'you're not getting a motorbike', but I kinda already have one.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Ah okay awesome, thanks a bomb for all that. Do you remember at all how much it is? I'd like to get it without my old folks knowing, so if its too much I probably won't get it for now. Only reason I say I don't want my old folks knowing is they'll be like 'ohhh no you're not getting a road license while you live under this roof' and such. They would say 'you're not getting a motorbike', but I kinda already have one.
learners is like 180-240 ish.. that includes course, test and all vic roads liscnces fee's
P's is a little bit more. about 500 dollars whole process including liscence fee's.