AM Waltly Ti Hardtail V2

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Waltly Titanium custom hardtail MTB "Mullet"

Curvy tucked in chainstays and seat-stays for added ankle clearance:

Integrated headset bearing seats means no chance of squeaky headset cups - and a nice smooth headtube!

Weld details on the dropped top tube and seat tube brace:

Highly recommend this style of dropper post cable port, much easier to insert/remove the cable outer than the welded tube:

Mix'n'match brake parts to try:

Frame - Waltly Custom Titanium Hardtail Frame
Front shock/fork - Fox 36, 140mm travel, 44mm offset, Grip 2 damper.
Handlebars - Spank Oozy Trail 780 Vibracore (cut to 760mm)
Stem - Deity Copperhead 50mm
Headset - Cane Creek 'Hellbender' 70 series
Grips - Deity Deathgrips
Saddle - Ergon SME3
Seatpost - Vecnum Nivo 212mm
Front brake - Hope Tech E4 with Formula Cura 203mm rotor
Rear brake - Hope Tech E4 with Formula Cura 180mm rotor
Cranks - Shimano XT M8100 with 34t chainring
Chainguide - One-Up (to be installed)
Chain - Shimano XTR 12sp
Pedals - Blackspire Sub 420
Rear shifter - Shimano XT SL-M8100 12sp (bar clamp type)
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT RD-M8100 12sp
Cassette - Shimano XTR M9100 12sp
Front hub - Project 321 Boost
Rear hub - Project 321 Boost (Microspline, 216POE, Quiet pawls)
Front rim - 29" Nextie Premium Trail 40mm (36mm internal)
Rear rim - 27.5" Nextie Premium Enduro 36mm (29mm internal)
Spokes - DT Swiss Comp
Tyres - Maxxis DHF 3C 2.5" Exo (Front), Minion Aggressor 2.5" Exo (Rear)
Tubes - Nope, Stans Tubeless Sealants
Total weight - T.B.A
Extras - Hopps Carbon fork adjuster dials, black adjuster screws on Hope brake levers, Hope seat clamp, WolfTooth Dropper Remote with Hope brake lever mount kit, Marsh Guard mudguard and "moustache", and hand moulded Sugru chainstay protection (to be installed).

Following on from my first custom built Waltly (Waltly Ti Hardtail V1), I wasn't 100% happy with the geo and frame stiffness for aggressive riding. It was good for cruisy cross country riding, but a little vague on steeper/faster descents. So a bit of retail therapy dreaming trying to distract myself from the first round of COVID lock-down led to me going all-in and placing another order. I asked for a thicker walled downtube and bigger diameter top tube to bump up the frame stiffness, tweaked the geo to allow me to run a 27.5" rear wheel, and lowered the top-tube considerably from my V1 design. My aim was to allow a bit more freedom of movement around the bike, and while I haven't taken it for a ride yet it's already easier to climb on and off the bike so I'll call that a win until I can get it out onto the trails properly!

beeb

Nice build. That thing looks amazing. Can see similarities to a paradox. Out of curiosity do you know what the frame weighed?
Forgot to weight it sorry Scotty! Felt about the same as the previous frame, which was pretty much 2kg on the dot. It felt significantly lighter than my alloy hardtail frame which was 2.5kg from memory.

Funny about the Paradox, I had seen them when they were released, then forgot all about them. I ordered this and all of a sudden half of RB has a Paradox PYR up! Haha, I could see the similarities then!

beeb

So clean and elegant and sexy OMG !

I'm curious as to the price of such a thing
Cheers. :)

Frame was $830USD, plus $230USD in (COVID inflated) freight, and $48USD in PayPal fees.

I got a decent discount as a return customer though as they matched the price of my previous (simpler) frame. Generally speaking, it seems to start from a baseline of around $800USD for a MTB frame with bottle cage mount and dropper cable port, then the more curves and tubes you add the pricier it gets. In my opinion the frame price is very reasonable for the amount of work they'd have to do to build it as Titanium is not an easy metal to work with at all.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers. :)

Frame was $830USD, plus $230USD in (COVID inflated) freight, and $48USD in PayPal fees.

I got a decent discount as a return customer though as they matched the price of my previous (simpler) frame. Generally speaking, it seems to start from a baseline of around $800USD for a MTB frame with bottle cage mount and dropper cable port, then the more curves and tubes you add the pricier it gets. In my opinion the frame price is very reasonable for the amount of work they'd have to do to build it as Titanium is not an easy metal to work with at all.
Did you choose the down tube cross section or do they sort that out for you ? I would be OK setting out the geometry but the complex shape of the downtube would be out of my depth

beeb

Did you choose the down tube cross section or do they sort that out for you ? I would be OK setting out the geometry but the complex shape of the downtube would be out of my depth
Nah, just pick a profile from the options in their estimate form .pdf on their website. There's probably more options if you ask what's available, but the standard list is pretty broad.

beeb

Thanks for all the love folks. I'm hoping to get it on the trails somewhere during the coming weeks so I can at least give a bit of first impression review.

With all the rain over the weekend (and not really knowing any of the Eastern suburbs trails) all I did today was a quick spin around the local park. I rode it across a patchwork of rocks similar to a (Cressy) rockgarden to try and get an impression of the frame qualities. No surprises that it's stiffer than my previous design. Doesn't seem to have that harsh buzz that bad hardtails have though which is good, but I'm still interested to see how much feedback it gives when riding at trail speeds. That's undecided for now, but for the flat-out positives - I love the smaller rear wheel and lower top tube, front-end geo feels amazing and it's way snappier on the pedals.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for all the love folks. I'm hoping to get it on the trails somewhere during the coming weeks so I can at least give a bit of first impression review.
I'm very innarested...in your overall impressions of the bike and what you think of the mullet set up. I have to stop looking at the pics though, the Mrs will soon be asking why I'm still looking at that shiny bike...

I've really liked Ti ever since I got to build a customers dream road bike in about '92, a Litespeed with Dura-Ace group set, and Mavic rims (I built those too)

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt

With all the rain over the weekend (and not really knowing any of the Eastern suburbs trails) all I did today was a quick spin around the local park. I rode it across a patchwork of rocks similar to a (Cressy) rockgarden to try and get an impression of the frame qualities. No surprises that it's stiffer than my previous design. Doesn't seem to have that harsh buzz that bad hardtails have though which is good, but I'm still interested to see how much feedback it gives when riding at trail speeds. That's undecided for now, but for the flat-out positives - I love the smaller rear wheel and lower top tube, front-end geo feels amazing and it's way snappier on the pedals.
If you are out in the East and looking to go for a spin let me know, I'm in Doncaster. Also, I hate you. I was really happy with my Paradox and then you had to put up pictures of this thing. So envious.

beeb

If you are out in the East and looking to go for a spin let me know, I'm in Doncaster. Also, I hate you. I was really happy with my Paradox and then you had to put up pictures of this thing. So envious.
I'm in the Western 'burbs, but now can't venture out to the Youies like I normally would due to the lockdown - but if I head out your side of town (and if you don't mind a relaxed pace on the climbs!), that sounds good. :)

And don't worry - the Paradox are a thing of beauty too!