VIC ********* Warburton MTB Trails Update *********** PLEASE READ **********

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Only 5 of us out there today until around 1pm, reworking the end section of the main DH trail where the two trails merge into one.

Definitely need more hands on deck, but we got a good amount of work done anyway. :)

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Only 5 of us out there today until around 1pm, reworking the end section of the main DH trail where the two trails merge into one.

Definitely need more hands on deck, but we got a good amount of work done anyway. :)
Did you fix that bit where the trail starts to go uphill?

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
The only uphill bit I saw was after one of the final drops (with the snaking B line to the left), it has a reasonably steep sweeping left which used to straighten out then curve right to where the trails meet... which was quite fast, and wouldn't be too pretty if riders were to collide.

It was routed up and to the left just after straightening out to pull off some speed, before snaking back down a little slower.

I'm not too sure what we're getting up to tomorrow, but I'm not all that bothered... I like the work, and am happy to 'give back'. :)

Will report on work done tomorrow for those who don't or can't attend.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
The only uphill bit I saw was after one of the final drops (with the snaking B line to the left), it has a reasonably steep sweeping left which used to straighten out then curve right to where the trails meet... which was quite fast, and wouldn't be too pretty if riders were to collide.

It was routed up and to the left just after straightening out to pull off some speed, before snaking back down a little slower.

I'm not too sure what we're getting up to tomorrow, but I'm not all that bothered... I like the work, and am happy to 'give back'. :)

Will report on work done tomorrow for those who don't or can't attend.
If you could keep us posted that would be great. I was out of town last weekend and same this weekend, but happy to head out there during weekdays (I'll liaise with Matt) and do some hard yakka.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Today we worked on trying to finish the landing for a new, massive jump... presumably the one that has been brought up here before (it's toward the top end of the trail).
There's a decent sized case pad for it, which will also double as a roll-over.

Looking at it, there's a few ways to tackle it:
- Ride around the whole thing
- Ride around the take-off, cut in and roll over the landing
- Treat the take-off as a decent sized drop then roll over the landing
- Take your giant balls to the skies and jump the entire thing

If we had more hands we'd have finished it and gotten started on another new one, but there were only 4 of us out there today including Mat.

fphmtb

Likes Bikes
Like building some massive gap jumps and uphill sections to the trail? I don't think satisfying bureaucracy is what this is about, I think it's about someone wanting to keep adding new things to the trail rather than sign off on what's already been built (with the approval of said bureaucracy).

Surely it would be better to fast-track the opening of Pinhead (all it needed pre-meddling was another raking and another scrub cut) and go build/try new stuff on another (new) track?

Anyway, that's just my thoughts, what do other Warby riders and people who have helped on the build days think?
I agree
What was the point of building those two massive gap jumps and getting rid of the other two?
It has really reduced the flow of the trail, for the sake of two massive jumps (much bigger than anything on turbulence), that only a select few can ride, especially when most ride the trail on 6 inch trail bikes.
Has anyone tested the first one coming out of the corner yet?

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I agree
What was the point of building those two massive gap jumps and getting rid of the other two?
It has really reduced the flow of the trail, for the sake of two massive jumps (much bigger than anything on turbulence), that only a select few can ride, especially when most ride the trail on 6 inch trail bikes.
Have you attended any build days?

Why is Turbulence your benchmark, btw?

fphmtb

Likes Bikes
Have you attended any build days?

Why is Turbulence your benchmark, btw?
No reason Turbulence is my benchmark, just saying they are some of the downhill mtb biggest jumps in the state, and from the riders who regularly ride around Warby don't serve a purpose when there was two perfectly fine jumps, that flowed really well?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I agree
Totally agree, the original jumps were doable on a trail bike, but the new one is just fricken dangerous unless you're a good jumper on a DH bike (or Sam Hill et al). As I've mentioned before, I just don't get why everything else on the trail is being dumbed down (including uphill sections of trail), but the medium sized jumps are being replaced by massive stuff. What used to be a great trail is now turning into something really shit, which is why I'm no longer participating in the build days etc. We had something reasonably good ready to go for summer, but it never happened and now things are moving in a different direction as we move towards winter, when Warby is mostly unrideable and will get overgrown again.

Logic

Likes Dirt
Totally agree, the original jumps were doable on a trail bike, but the new one is just fricken dangerous unless you're a good jumper on a DH bike (or Sam Hill et al). As I've mentioned before, I just don't get why everything else on the trail is being dumbed down (including uphill sections of trail), but the medium sized jumps are being replaced by massive stuff. What used to be a great trail is now turning into something really shit, which is why I'm no longer participating in the build days etc. We had something reasonably good ready to go for summer, but it never happened and now things are moving in a different direction as we move towards winter, when Warby is mostly unrideable and will get overgrown again.
So sad to hear, wish i could of participated in some of the build days but since it's an hour and a half away from me and i have no way of getting there i couldnt help out. What's the state of tracks such as LaLa falls? Is that completely destroyed?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
So sad to hear, wish i could of participated in some of the build days but since it's an hour and a half away from me and i have no way of getting there i couldnt help out. What's the state of tracks such as LaLa falls? Is that completely destroyed?
Lala is completely gone, they've cut down trees to cover the entire track start to finish. All because of one person making a lot of noise. He should personally apologise to the forrest.

Logic

Likes Dirt
Lala is completely gone, they've cut down trees to cover the entire track start to finish. All because of one person making a lot of noise. He should personally apologise to the forrest.
Aw damn never got a chance to ride it:(

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
If you could keep us posted that would be great. I was out of town last weekend and same this weekend, but happy to head out there during weekdays (I'll liaise with Matt) and do some hard yakka.

Seems to be some contradiction between those two statements, don't you think?

fphmtb

Likes Bikes
The ramp on the first one coming out of the corner is very steep, a real huck and hope.
Has anyone tested it yet?

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Honestly, if people want input into how the trail is changed and shaped, attend build days and give said input!
If ya don't like the new changes and aren't willing to do any work, boo-hoo? :behindsofa:
There's no way I'm ever gonna jump the one we were finishing up on Saturday, but I'm still putting in. Why? Because these trails need to come back, in whichever form they return in!

Trails change and evolve all the time, they just need the HANDS to help get it done.
If everyone runs their fingers red raw complaining about it online instead of getting some dirt under their nails, nothing will ever change.

There's also B-lines around pretty much everything, it's not like riders are forced into new features which may be outside of their abilities, or bike's capabilities.
The main DH trail (Pinhead) is supposed to be a step up from the newer flow-style trail (Warpij), and is attracting features to make it so.

Nothing is final, anyway. Once the trail is completed, sign posted, and signed off with DELWP and whatever other parties are involved (if any), anything that doesn't work can always be changed later.