VIC ********* Warburton MTB Trails Update *********** PLEASE READ **********

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Such a shame :eek:hwell: hopefully it gets up and running soon! Having never ridden there before, I have heard such great things about it! (According to my cousin it had some of the best downhill tracks in vic). I certainly cannot wait to ride them!
With the Lala Falls track gone, that claim is reduced a bit... but the existing trails are still great nonetheless!

Can't wait for some more build days. I might hit up Mat and see about getting a crew together to do some work.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
but the existing trails are still great nonetheless!.
Unfortunately getting less great by the month. I don't really understand why they've been 'dumbed down' so much, it took more work to do that and now there is a combination of big/hard jumps and smooth/easy/boring trail (with some climbs...) in between the features. I get it for Warpij, which is designed as a jumps track, but for Pinhead it used to be more of a rough DH track, with less focus on jumps.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I haven't had a full walk down (or up) Pinhead/Top Track since before works started after the initial vandalism so I've not seen the whole thing since changes were made... but, climbs?! Dayum son!

Honestly I'm just keen to get out riding there again. Trails can always be altered and improved on future build days. I just wish we could get them in a finished, rideable state, and signposted so they can be signed off and officially opened!

It's been way too long!

dunndog

Eats Squid
I haven't had a full walk down (or up) Pinhead/Top Track since before works started after the initial vandalism so I've not seen the whole thing since changes were made... but, climbs?! Dayum son!

Honestly I'm just keen to get out riding there again. Trails can always be altered and improved on future build days. I just wish we could get them in a finished, rideable state, and signposted so they can be signed off and officially opened!

It's been way too long!
I wish none of this ever happened and we were back at 5 years ago...

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I wish none of this ever happened and we were back at 5 years ago...
We had the trail ready to ride just before Christmas and if someone stopped f#$king with it we could be riding it now, irrespective of signage etc... Wheels down it would have saved having to rake and scrub cut the entire thing all over again...

Can someone who knows Matt V reasonably well ask him what's going on? I'm sure he would know who is behind this rogue trail building.

dunndog

Eats Squid
We had the trail ready to ride just before Christmas and if someone stopped f#$king with it we could be riding it now, irrespective of signage etc... Wheels down it would have saved having to rake and scrub cut the entire thing all over again...

Can someone who knows Matt V reasonably well ask him what's going on? I'm sure he would know who is behind this rogue trail building.
good on you for getting into it and getting it happening mate, I'm certainly not knocking efforts made.. but it doesn't bring back lala, and it stopped other things.. that land is prime for great trails but under legislation I'll be very surprised if they live up to potential..

dunndog

Eats Squid
Fark.. away this weekend, and becoming a Godparent on the 25th!! Wonder if I could swing the baptism from Facetime on the trails??!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Holy Christ, I posted that from my phone... looking now on my PC and it's MASSIVE. :jaw:

I plan to try and make it on both days and stay for as long as possible.
Neeeeeeeeeed this up and running again!

I'm so bored with our other local options.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I sort of don't get what Matt is saying in his FB post. The tracks were already finished, they don't need any more work. The thing that's holding everything up is that Matt, or some rogue trail builders are building new stuff that's not necessary or helping in any way to get the trails finished. Personally I'd want more assurances that there's a clear plan (as there supposedly was last time) before wasting any more time out there. I know that's a bit negative, but I'm really disappointed that all of our previous efforts were pretty much wasted.

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I sort of don't get what Matt is saying in his FB post. The tracks were already finished, they don't need any more work. The thing that's holding everything up is that Matt, or some rogue trail builders are building new stuff that's not necessary or helping in any way to get the trails finished. Personally I'd want more assurances that there's a clear plan (as there supposedly was last time) before wasting any more time out there. I know that's a bit negative, but I'm really disappointed that all of our previous efforts were pretty much wasted.
It's not that easy. What you perceive is not necessarily reality. The trails will be legal but that means some hurdles need to be negociated in order to satisfy the beuraucracy.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
some hurdles need to be negociated in order to satisfy the beuraucracy.
Like building some massive gap jumps and uphill sections to the trail? I don't think satisfying bureaucracy is what this is about, I think it's about someone wanting to keep adding new things to the trail rather than sign off on what's already been built (with the approval of said bureaucracy).

Surely it would be better to fast-track the opening of Pinhead (all it needed pre-meddling was another raking and another scrub cut) and go build/try new stuff on another (new) track?

Anyway, that's just my thoughts, what do other Warby riders and people who have helped on the build days think?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Like building some massive gap jumps and uphill sections to the trail? I don't think satisfying bureaucracy is what this is about, I think it's about someone wanting to keep adding new things to the trail rather than sign off on what's already been built (with the approval of said bureaucracy).

Surely it would be better to fast-track the opening of Pinhead (all it needed pre-meddling was another raking and another scrub cut) and go build/try new stuff on another (new) track?

Anyway, that's just my thoughts, what do other Warby riders and people who have helped on the build days think?
Exactly, just your thoughts. You actually have no idea what IMBA and DELWP need in order for the trails to become officially sanctioned.

The DELWP in particular, are not an organisation known for speedy actions. Instead of continuously yapping on about what should have been done and when, why don't you contact Doug and or Matt to offer your services proactively? I'm sure they would appreciate the help.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Exactly, just your thoughts. You actually have no idea what IMBA and DELWP need in order for the trails to become officially sanctioned.

The DELWP in particular, are not an organisation known for speedy actions. Instead of continuously yapping on about what should have been done and when, why don't you contact Doug and or Matt to offer your services proactively? I'm sure they would appreciate the help.
I've been attempting to contact Matt, but no luck as yet. It's his project really, so without his endorsement, there's really not much I can do apart from highlighting the issues in the hope that someone who knows him better than I do mentions it to him. He's not a RB guy, I'm not a FB guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Can't hurt to come out and have a chat to Mat on Saturday if you've time to spare. :)
Would be nice if a DELWP guy was present so he could provide some insight into the inner workings of our slack ass govt. agencies as well... they've never been present at any build day I've attended though.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Heard back from Matt, this is what he wrote:

Hi ----, simply haven't had the numbers to maintenance days and now we are waiting for sign materials from dwelp. Reorganizing some of the jumps that were vandalized while waiting for signs. Dewlp responsible officer for us has been busy its very frustrating. All the tracks are growing over, its basically a fuckload of work to keep high level tracks at a top riding condition. My enthusiasm is low but I'm committed to seeing all those trails complete. Cheers
and my response:

Thanks for the update, let me know what I can do to help, even it means liaising with DEWLP etc. I hadn’t heard about any of the build days, but if you let me know I’ll advertise them on Rotorburn and do my best to come along.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
For the praise the trails got from many local riders, you'd think there'd be decent numbers coming to build days to see their beloved trails return.

People tend to just go if they're free, rather than making it a priority... A real shame! But at the same time, I guess with YRMTB being a pretty low-key MTB Club, they just don't have the rider base or advertising to reach the numbers we need.

Hopefully more people from around here can make it over the next two weekends.