VIC ********* Warburton MTB Trails Update *********** PLEASE READ **********

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Honestly, if people want input into how the trail is changed and shaped, attend build days and give said input!
If ya don't like the new changes and aren't willing to do any work, boo-hoo? :behindsofa:
There's no way I'm ever gonna jump the one we were finishing up on Saturday, but I'm still putting in. Why? Because these trails need to come back, in whichever form they return in!

Trails change and evolve all the time, they just need the HANDS to help get it done.
If everyone runs their fingers red raw complaining about it online instead of getting some dirt under their nails, nothing will ever change.

There's also B-lines around pretty much everything, it's not like riders are forced into new features which may be outside of their abilities, or bike's capabilities.
The main DH trail (Pinhead) is supposed to be a step up from the newer flow-style trail (Warpij), and is attracting features to make it so.

Nothing is final, anyway. Once the trail is completed, sign posted, and signed off with DELWP and whatever other parties are involved (if any), anything that doesn't work can always be changed later.
Well said Ezkaton, you've pretty much nailed it. It's not a project I'm personally going to support anymore, but it's great to see the trail moving forward in some incarnation and hopefully people like you will sustain enough enthusiasm and commitment to see results.

WIWO

Likes Bikes
Did some more work on the jump we were building Saturday, the lip has been flattened off and the jump lengthened a bit, the one prior to it will also needs the same treatment it's too steep, I'll happily jump both , having said that I get some people won't , they do have b lines around them but it's not finished and the lines around could do with some polishing, it just needs a greater show of hands up there, it will get done, the track needs more volunteers

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Well said Ezkaton, you've pretty much nailed it. It's not a project I'm personally going to support anymore, but it's great to see the trail moving forward in some incarnation and hopefully people like you will sustain enough enthusiasm and commitment to see results.
I'm keen to continue work on the trail, for sure. It's been my fav place to ride around Melb (Narbethong a close second) since I first rode there a couple years back.
Once it's done and more people are riding it, I'm hoping more people start putting their hands up to get some more work done.

The word just isn't getting out at the moment.

Did some more work on the jump we were building Saturday, the lip has been flattened off and the jump lengthened a bit, the one prior to it will also needs the same treatment it's too steep, I'll happily jump both , having said that I get some people won't , they do have b lines around them but it's not finished and the lines around could do with some polishing, it just needs a greater show of hands up there, it will get done, the track needs more volunteers
Is that Will?

I haven't seen the jump before the one we were working on on Saturday... didn't quite rake that far back.
Hopefully Mat can get together another couple build days just to tweak some things here and there!

WIWO

Likes Bikes
Yeah mate it's will, I saw where you raked to there's another jump further up and the lip and steepness is off, I can't this weekend But next weekend and over Easter I'll do more days up there, I'll speak to Matt see what he reckons, I also walked and raked most of the other trail on Sunday, cleaned it up, but with that wind and RAin it will be dirty again, once it's rideable I'm all for also cutting in some more defined b lines around any bigger obstacles, makes the trail better
And safer all round

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Nice, I can't do anything this weekend either.

Riding Saturday as I haven't put rubber on dirt since I was in Derby over a month ago now, and Sunday I've got shit on. Next weekend is a possibility!
Easter weekend I'm *HOPING* I can make it to Thredbo, but need to assess finances... if I can't get up there I'm keen to do some more digging for sure.

WIWO

Likes Bikes
All good mate you can only do what you can do, over Easter I reckon I'll be up there a couple of days for sure

dunndog

Eats Squid
I have a stack of rdo's between Easter and Anzac day.. might not be conducive with anyone else but if a weekday dig or 2 could be tee'd up over that period I'd be in for sure.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Mat supposedly had a meeting with DELWP on Thursday... just chucked him a message to see what happened.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Mat supposedly had a meeting with DELWP on Thursday... just chucked him a message to see what happened.
I know you've been quite involved with the process, and i haven't, so i'm certainly not criticising. It' is however very frustrating that still apart from the physical work you guys have done on the trails there is nothing happening with what was once (albeit illegal) one of the premier sites in Vic. Look what's happened in Tassie in the time since Warby was shut down. Derby built, and Maydena, /st Helens, Mersey all funded and approved. Is it just a case of bureaucracy gone mad here or what?

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I know you've been quite involved with the process, and i haven't, so i'm certainly not criticising. It' is however very frustrating that still apart from the physical work you guys have done on the trails there is nothing happening with what was once (albeit illegal) one of the premier sites in Vic. Look what's happened in Tassie in the time since Warby was shut down. Derby built, and Maydena, /st Helens, Mersey all funded and approved. Is it just a case of bureaucracy gone mad here or what?
To my knowledge, it's really just the govt. parties holding things up... they move so incredibly slowly.
YRMTB has been pretty dead on the topic for some time now too, which doesn't seem to be helpful... considering they were the core MTB group trying to get things moving with the whole legalisation and maintenance day organisation thing.

Still waiting on a response regarding the DELWP meeting, I'll update when I know more.
Apparently Crusher track (now Hey Hey My My) has had more work done to it since I was there last.

It's not one of the DH trails obviously, but I guess it shows there's still work happening in the area, behind the scenes and outside 'official' trail build days.

fphmtb

Likes Bikes
Anyone know what's going on when the two all mountain/downhill tracks at Warby.
Went for a walk up there today, and the tracks looked run down.
Some of the lip were crumbling and there was so much shit on the track, it didn't even look rideable.
Anyone ridden up there lately or know what's going on?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Anyone know what's going on when the two all mountain/downhill tracks at Warby.
Went for a walk up there today, and the tracks looked run down.
Some of the lip were crumbling and there was so much shit on the track, it didn't even look rideable.
Anyone ridden up there lately or know what's going on?
There's precisely nothing going on. MV never got sign off from the relevant authorities (probably something to do with his building of a 10m+ gap jump) and the project seems to have been abandoned after several build days late last year, where we got the tracks finished and looking totally awesome.

I think if you want to ride there, just head up and give it a good raking, fix the jumps etc and go for it. I'll probably be doing that with the jumps track (Warpij) at some stage. No point waiting for anything to happen, if those tracks were going to be legalised it would have happened by now. The whole thing has been a bit of an epic fail.

Just a heads up though, if anyone is going to be riding there, please don't use the first part of Mt Bride Rd, enter on Edwardstown Rd instead, which is the same distance to the bottom car park. Pissing off the land owner at the bottom of Mt Bride road is what got the tracks shut down in the first place, if people ride there quietly and respectfully there's no reason the tracks (sans Lala - that is gone for good) can't be back in circulation. In terms of whether or not it's actually legal to ride there, it's a total grey area. I was stopped by a ranger last time I was up there and after initially telling me that it was no go, he then called someone else, who told him it was OK. So don't know what the hell is going on there, I'll take it as the ball having been dropped to the point where nobody cares anymore and we may as well just ride... The only thing that will put it back on the no go radar is complaints from the landowner, which will force PV back into action, enforcing trail closures.

Last edited:

latheboy

Likes Dirt
This sucks balls, I along with many others put in a lot of work to build some awesome trails just to have nothing happen.
I don't think the big gaps had anything to do with this, I went to the meeting the other month and to me it seems like everyone (PV and local club) have other things they care about more.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
This sucks balls, I along with many others put in a lot of work to build some awesome trails just to have nothing happen.
I don't think the big gaps had anything to do with this, I went to the meeting the other month and to me it seems like everyone (PV and local club) have other things they care about more.
But nobody is telling us we can't ride the trails we worked on right? I don't think all that work will be a waste if we can just get up there and rake/trim everything. The trails and the jumps should all be the same as we left them, it's not like anyone's been riding them. There was only the one big gap and you're right that it probably didn't have anything to do with it. I'm just gutted that whoever made it removed the two really cool gaps that used to be there and could be hit by riders without superhuman jumping skills. They could always be rebuilt I guess.

Can you go into more detail about what happened at the meeting?

latheboy

Likes Dirt
I can't go into detail about the meeting, mostly because I've had too many beers between then and now so don't remember.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Anyone been out in the past couple of weeks? I'd like to shoot someone a private message or a text with a quick question if possible?

Thanks guys

raziel

Cannon Fodder
I finally made it up to Hey Hey My My on the weekend and the trail is pretty damn good. Killer hike up however, does anyone know if you can shuttle the 4X4 track?