WARNING - Pacific Park track dissapointing!

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
... this series has been all about the most powerfull rider, who can pedal the hardest...not the most skilled. it may have some "technical" parts but whats the point if anytime made there can just be lost to pedalling up a hill. These tracks do now truely test the riders. if i wanted to race XC i would go to a XC race not a downhill state race. the tracks need to flow and test riders skill, not just power and fitness...
Tim Eaton
Tim,
I don't see the series as "all about the most powerful rider"
Fair enough for Flynny's race but are you suggesting that this was the case for Stromlo and Coffs as well? For that matter I didn't view Pacific Park track as a "power track" at all, it was more like a finesse track in my view. I saw a fair bit of the practice sessions and it seemed to me that those doing well were thinking a lot about getting the sections before the uphill bits right, so that they could carry good speed up those massive 5m climbs. There were a lot of tricky bits in the track that could catch riders out if not 100% on thier game. If you stuffed up just before the uphill parts you were pretty well screwed and with the track as short as it is you had no chance to make up the time. Having said that, for the top group of you elite guys, I think that is the case on any track you care to mention. If you stuff one little bit you are going to lose ground to the others. Fair enough Brad is a beast with plenty of horse power to put down but he is also a very smooth rider at the same time. I wouldn't say that Rick and Killian have power to burn but they are also very smooth riders, that's why they did well.
Gotta hand it the old guy though, he should be running vets but he is still giving you young-uns a run for your money.

Last edited:

dirtdemon

Likes Dirt
So let me get this straight 1 track out of 4 in the series and also the state titles track wasn't up to standard. Or are "the canberra boys" suggesting that all the tracks weren't up to standard, because if memory serves me right Canberra and Coffs having a fair bit of pedalling, so that could be the case.

Maybe ACT will be having it's own series and the NSW organisers who pour their hearts and souls into doing the best with the limited resources that are available can relax next year and have ACT do it all for them.

Good tracks which are raced on will improve you no matter who you are, but so will average tracks, as it is the act of racing (putting your skills against other competitors, the clock and under pressure) that is the main contributor to race improvement.

The state races should be seen as having a dual role, one of bring new people into the sport and providing race practice for those elite riders and up and coming stars to refine their race skills for the national (hard track) events, so sometimes there might be compromises.

I think NSW organisers are doing a great job with what is available, and yet are still open to constructive criticism on how to improve the solid platform that they have established.

Instead of making threats of improve or I'll leave maybe you could get on the committee and help be part of making the difference.

Also I would like to congratulate "Incontinent" and vote for him as official national starter. He is fabulous with the competitors at the start and makes a boring and nervous wait into an enjoyable time. Thanks Chris and also the other helpers from the weekend.

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
Also I would like to congratulate "Incontinent" and vote for him as official national starter. He is fabulous with the competitors at the start and makes a boring and nervous wait into an enjoyable time. Thanks Chris and also the other helpers from the weekend.
There are a few out there that think I make the start a nightmare for them as well. Gotta admit I do have a lot of fun over the headset with the Castec boys as well.

Jebus

Pro Rider
Tim,
I don't see the series as "all about the most powerful rider"
Fair enough for Flynny's race but are you suggesting that this was the case for Stromlo and Coffs as well? For that matter I didn't view Pacific Park track as a "power track" at all, it was more like a finesse track in my view. I saw a fair bit of the practice sessions and it seemed to me that those doing well were thinking a lot about getting the sections before the uphill bits right, so that they could carry good speed up those massive 5m climbs. There were a lot of tricky bits in the track that could catch riders out if not 100% on thier game. If you stuffed up just before the uphill parts you were pretty well screwed and with the track as short as it is you had no chance to make up the time. Having said that, for the top group of you elite guys, I think that is the case on any track you care to mention. If you stuff one little bit you are going to lose ground to the others. Fair enough Brad is a beast with plenty of horse power to put down but he is also a very smooth rider at the same time. I wouldn't say that Rick and Killian have power to burn but they are also very smooth riders, that's why they did well.
Gotta hand it the old guy though, he should be running vets but he is still giving you young-uns a run for your money.
Im not taking anything away from the winners or brad at all!
Brad is an awesome rider and just keeps getting better and better and so are Killian and Rick. they all have bucket loads of skill and was awesome to see them up there! ok im not having a go at anyone, im just outlining my views of the tracks this year... the track at stromlo at the beginning of the year had more pedalling than riding... (it has been changed now) litghow wasnt a race track in my opionion, coffs was a good track i enjoyed it alot, and pacific park just wasnt a race track either. all i am doing is trying to create an awareness that a good track takes time to plan, build and test...

Look at stromlo and awaba. stromlo has been built, tested and changed and tested again, and im sure everyone will be alot happier with that, it has been in the making for months now, Awaba has been in the making for months now too.

remember also,
glen jacobs designed stromlo for the worlds.
so his plan is comming together nicely, several seasons to whether it in and several events to find true lines. the track is by no means finished in his mind.but by golly!( always wanted to slip that sucker in!!).... by GOLLY!, when it is!!!

awaba.
was meant to be raced a month ago!
but due to inclement weather AND the ever lumbering beast of beaurocacy and searing lines of red tape (after! a prolonged period in the wilderness of submissions and lobbying.) WITH! the express purpose of establishing a perminant mountain bike venue. will. KICK ARSE!!! i have no doubt.(i also seem to remember..(fondly) a certain state(?)champs round.which was a 1min_ish track, in the mud!!! push up again(preytell!!).)

we all know, the tragic circumstances of lithgow. the seemingly siege like efforts of woolongong in trying to procure a "race track" for them selves (for ALL of us!)

AND THEN.
theres WSMTB.

who have and race. six. thats six.downhill tracks( and potentially, in the near future another six or seven on top of that).mostly. on private property.all with various good and bad points (don't they all??)(ALL of 'em crap! im sure your muttering.) making the most out of what they have.the only reason we have this is, due to tenasity and hard work behind the scenes.we have only just managed this tally this year. old tracks go and new tracks come.

as has been pointed out .the tracks with "acceptable" fall. are all on the outer reaches of the gallaxy!!! (YES!! we are the hub of the universe!!!!!) while in the inner hub. all us westies(were all bogans!!) have little or no access to "fall".

so.
never before have we had so much choice. it's by no means perfect. BUT. we are workin on it!!! the whole process is in flux. we. ALL OF US are workin on it. this year made in roads into the organisation of events. with the inclusion of a couple of tracks which are keepers, and a couple of tracks which will be.... remembered.

short of that. we could all take up knitting. all you old ladies are invited!

see you there sundays.