Wasn't planning on going 1x but...

slowmick

38-39"
I need your help guys I am stumped.

Put my enduro in for her annual service. During strip down problems were noted. Details sent to specialized, frame dead but will provide a new one under warranty. Problem no 26” frame. Ok agree to go 27.5 and get bike shop to order new fox forks (4+ week wait). I ordered my own wheels. Now all the bits are in the one spot and the bike shop has found that the 2x10 drive train won’t work with the 650b enduro.

I like having a 2 x drive train. It lets me scramble up hills and really crank it out on the downhill.

I’m not sure what to do. Can go narrow wide on the front and go 1 x 10 with std cassette and std non type 2 rear derailleur (don’t ask). No idea what size chain ring to run. No idea if I need or want an extension cog for the back and play with the cassette. No idea if I want to wait for Shimano 11 speed cassette.

I know there are lots of threads on 1x drive trains and I should search but my brain is dead. sorry guys.

The bike has been in the shop for 7 weeks waiting for various things. I just wanted to pick up my bike this week and go for a ride. It’s all getting too fucking hard and expensive. New bikes are supposed to be fun. time for a drink.

poita

Likes Dirt
I'd be pretty pissed off if a different frame was provided under warranty and the manufacturer didn't cover the cost that I then incurred to change wheel size.... Is that the case or are they covering the cost? Warranty seems a bit pointless otherwise....

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Hang on, we're the 27.5 forks and wheels comped, and we're they comprible to the originals?

Seems a bit of stretch to expect you to pay for new parts that you've lost the use of through no fault of your own. If they can't swap like for like, I'd be expecting a new bike, not just a frame.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Hang on, we're the 27.5 forks and wheels comped, and we're they comprible to the originals?

Seems a bit of stretch to expect you to pay for new parts that you've lost the use of through no fault of your own. If they can't swap like for like, I'd be expecting a new bike, not just a frame.
Yeah! Too right Knuckles, they need a knuckle sandwich.:nono:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Yeah! Too right Knuckles, they need a knuckle sandwich.:nono:

Fuck em. Goods weren't of acceptable quality, press for a replacement of all parts required. The bike as a whole must function. In Vic we have Victorian civil arbitration tribunal who, for a $55 fee will hear your complaint about how your bike has failed as far as Australian Consumer Law is concerned. other states must have similar?

First step is is get in writing from the retailer the warranty claim status of the frame, spin a line of how you're really busy with work, have lost track of this and might have to head OS at short notice. This sets the president that the fault has been acknowledged as a valid claim in writing. Then you expand the claim, as you are entitled to. Retailer and or distributor/importer must honour their written warranty AND general " consumer guarantees"

Ive been on on the issuing end of a few " as a gesters of good faith..." Emails recently to customers. ( thou business to business)

a few players in the bike world are making fat margins and being big chunts on warranties.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.

Giant recently did this for a riding mate, 26 trance broke, they provided a complete 27.5 as 26 was no longer avaliable. As the cost of wheels and forks was an unreasonable it was a completely new bike, Giants warrantys have always been tops, obviously following out consumer laws, but with zero hassles to the consumer.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Giant recently did this for a riding mate, 26 trance broke, they provided a complete 27.5 as 26 was no longer avaliable. As the cost of wheels and forks was an unreasonable it was a completely new bike, Giants warrantys have always been tops.
It's not so much the warranty itself, as all should cover a new bike if the original cannot be repaired or replaced to original spec. The issue is how willing certain parties are to honour the terms, and how far they'll push.

Should be hand over a failed unit, take recipt of a fully functional unit. Up to the warranter how they go about it, but the end result shouldn't be negotiable.

It's bad enough they're making him move 6-fiddy-bee yo, but actually making you pay for the downgrade? Fuck that.

slowmick

38-39"
Home from work now and had dinner.

Didn't intend this to be a bash specialized thread. Guess i should provide a bit more background. it's not a clean cut bike purchase.

I bought a 2007 Enduro pro carbon in 2008. After enjoying it for close to 5 years it developed cracks in the seat mast and shock mounts. Specialized were kind enough to replace the frame under warranty. As they didn't have any old frames (after the Avanti-Specialized Aus divorce i guess) they gave me a 2013 s-works frame. To build this frame up i pretty much bought a full bike worth of parts through the LBS and had them build up the bike. Enough of the "standards" changed that almost none of the parts from the 2007 fit on the 2013. I was pretty stoked with this outcome - it was for all intents and purposes a new s-works bike for a price between the comp and the expert.

Two years down the track and the 2013 frame has given up the ghost. I had the red and black s-works frame. I had the option to get a new front triangle (26 & 650b are the same) or a complete 2015 650b frame. i thought it would be good to have a frame all the same colour (new frame is white). Figured i would suck it up and buy a fork and wheels then try and sell my 26" fork and wheels i'd had enough of the roval wheels breaking spokes and didn't see the point in buying more 26" wheels. Drink that kool aid i thought - riders had been paying $1200 to upgrade to 650b and they were offering it for free. In hindsight maybe it wasn't the wisest choice.

The guys i ride with told me i should have grabbed the frame, sold it to pay for an aluminium 26" bike to suit my husky build and less than elegant riding style. Would have most likely required new wheels as the read is 142+ and not that compatible with other frame manufacturers though.

As far as i know the bike is now built up in the shop with the new frame, fork and wheels plus most of the bits from my old bike. just need to tell them how to finish it.

Back to the drive line. specialized sent out a derailleur mount and a matching derailleur (different mount type) but the bike shop couldn't make the 2x10 work and when they pressed specialized it seems it is not possible on the 650b model. will do some more research tonight to see if it s possible. Just wanted some thoughts from the gang before i go and see the bike shop tomorrow night.

Hope that clears up. maybe i am a sucker. i am getting a very large supply of left over bits though.

slowmick

38-39"
From 2015 FSR OWNER’S MANUAL..

Epic WC and Enduro 650b models are not compatible with front derailleur systems

I'm not sure i'm ready for that much Kool Aid :Cry:

Flow-Rider

Burner
It doesn't look like the new 650b frames have the mounting bosses for the front RD from what I see in pictures. Going to a big ring rear most likely is the easiest way out.

slowmick

38-39"
It doesn't look like the new 650b frames have the mounting bosses for the front RD from what I see in pictures. Going to a big ring rear most likely is the easiest way out.
Flow-rider Would you go with a standard cassette with something like a One-Up extender cog? or maybe the praxxis works 11-40 cassette?

As i only have a type derailleur I guess I will need to find a new single ring chain guide bash guard to keep it all in line.

I was looking at the SRAM 1x11 stuff that comes standard on the 650b enduro - replacement cassettes seem to be really expensive (close to $260) compared the the $70 ones 11-36 10 speed ones i had been using. Do 11 speed cassettes last well or are they as fragile as the X0 10 speed ones?

the Shimano M8000 11 speed cassette is a more reasonable price but that would require a new rear derailleur and shifter to match.

If i get a 10 speed narrow wide chain ring and run it with my current 11-36 ten speed would I need a new one if i wanted to go to shimano 11 speed at a later date?

Sorry if I annoyed anyone with my specialized bashing comment - i am too much of a wuss to fight about the warranty. tis the reason i hate buying stuff (and why i will probably buy a giant downhill bike).

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Hey dude, I've got an slx 10x shifter/clutched Rd/chain/cassette that you can borrow to test the waters if you want? It's not show quality anymore, but it's functional. I was going to upgrade a mate to 2x10 with it but he doesn't know yet so he can wait ;-)

Flow-Rider

Burner
I know there's a huge variety of front derailleurs, but what the fuck is a front rear derailleur?
Flow-rider Would you go with a standard cassette with something like a One-Up extender cog? or maybe the praxxis works 11-40 cassette?

As i only have a type derailleur I guess I will need to find a new single ring chain guide bash guard to keep it all in line.

I was looking at the SRAM 1x11 stuff that comes standard on the 650b enduro - replacement cassettes seem to be really expensive (close to $260) compared the the $70 ones 11-36 10 speed ones i had been using. Do 11 speed cassettes last well or are they as fragile as the X0 10 speed ones?

the Shimano M8000 11 speed cassette is a more reasonable price but that would require a new rear derailleur and shifter to match.

If i get a 10 speed narrow wide chain ring and run it with my current 11-36 ten speed would I need a new one if i wanted to go to shimano 11 speed at a later date?

Sorry if I annoyed anyone with my specialized bashing comment - i am too much of a wuss to fight about the warranty. tis the reason i hate buying stuff (and why i will probably buy a giant downhill bike).
I can't help you with a 1X10 or 11, I'm still old school with a 2x10. If you do a lot of steep hill climbing, you would need something bigger than a 36 on the rear. Heaps of guys are running 1X10 on here check their posts out.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Johnny Sprockets has some 10 sp cassettes, 11-40, sub $200.
Sux when something like this happens and catches you out, I do it all the time. It's not until the day after you make a supposedly informed decision that that one little small yet huge detail rears its head and gives you a royal rogering. however, don't knock it till you've tried it. A 1x setup may be better than you think...