Wasn't planning on going 1x but...

gc49

Likes Bikes
you can use the current 10 speed rings with 11 speed at a later date. same inner width for the chain (using one myself)

Love my 1x11. Running sram x1 and it hasn't missed a beat. I'm getting better at climbing because of it aswell compared to the 2x10 set up I used to have.

slowmick

38-39"
You going downhilling Mick? Awesome.
G'day John, was hoping to get a downhill bike to do more of the heavy lifting and maybe my enduro would last a little longer.

After pouring over the forum tonight i guess i'll start with a 32T narrow wide with the chain guide adjusted for one chain ring and matched to the standard 11/36 cassette.

Will see how this pans out.

If i miss the old two speed box feeling of the front derailleur or the top end speed I guess i will try and sell the frame and build something else.

The Rune seems to be a popular bike and it can take up to a 3x on the front. I'll have everything except a set of GXP cranks (though there might be an old set in the garage somewhere).

The man at the bike shop was trying to be as helpful as possible saying a i can try a bunch of chain ring sizes but was a bit taken back when i said i would sell it if 1 x 10 didn't work for me.

thanks for all you help guys. have a good weekend.

dunndog

Eats Squid
FWIW, I had my first ride on my new carbon sight today, coming from a 2011 remedy 8. Granted the whole new bike bit, but it was also the first time I've ever ridden a sram 1x11 setup and I gotta say, contrary to what I thought would be the case, I found it so much better than the old 2x10. Never wanting for anything. There are several factors contributing to this huge leap in climbing ability, but you can add me to the converted.

slowmick

38-39"
Good to know DD. there are a lot of converts on here - I guess i just need to suck it up and try it. will be next week when the last few bits arrive. waiting, waiting.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Ratio calculater

Have you checked out Sheldon Brown's gear calculator
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

It looks pretty old schools but is handy for choosing a chainring size. I ended un with 32t chainring and a 11-36 cassette with 42t expander on it a got a really useable range close enough to what it had before.

Mine shifts fine except for the big jump where I had to remove a go to get the 42 on. If you go for the one-up cog you get an extra 16t thrown in to make the jump a bit smoother. Sounds like a good option