Watchmen

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
with the exception of the ending (which I'm not really sure on) it's incredibly faithful to the original book.
Well, faithful to parts of the book, anyway. There's a hell of a lot they had to leave out, of course.

And I'm with you about the ending. I understand why they had to change it the way they did, I'm just not sure about the way it came off. Then again, I didn't like the original ending when I first read the book, so what do I know?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Well, faithful to parts of the book, anyway. There's a hell of a lot they had to leave out, of course.

And I'm with you about the ending. I understand why they had to change it the way they did, I'm just not sure about the way it came off. Then again, I didn't like the original ending when I first read the book, so what do I know?
Yeah there are quite a few omissions but I think the whole New Frontiersman storyline and the Tales of the Blackfreighter are going to be packaged together in the directors cut. Certainly everything that made it into the movie (apart from the end) looks and feels damn near identical to the panels in the novel.

The only other reservation I had was the fact that no reference was made to how all this futuristic tech came to about in the mid-1980's. If you've read the novel you know that it all can be attributed to doc manhatten but for somebody who is watching it for the first time it could cause a bit of confusion or disbelief.

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Just got home from watching it. Couple questions:

How does Rorshach's mask change?
How do they have these people have increased strength/ speed and what not?

I really enjoyed the film, but these things were playing on my mind most of the time.

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
Gluey- from my recent Wikipedia endeavors, Rorscharch used to work in a tailor's shop. Some lady wanted a dress made from fabric that changed colors (something about liquids between layers of fabric I think). She didn't like it, but he thought it was amazing, so he took a bit home.

Hope that helps.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Of course, it could never be as good as the cartoon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

God please no.... Please please please tell me they didn't make a cartoon version of the Watchmen for TV...:eek::(:mad:

*edit* Ok... just watched it (albeit without sound). Crisis over.

People, if you have questions about what happens in the film, read the book.
If you don't understand the plot, read the book.
If you didn't like the film, read the book.

If you haven't seen the film yet, read the book.

Bottom line:
Read the book

Last edited:

Kuragari

Likes Bikes
How do they have these people have increased strength/ speed and what not?
They were just meant to be human strength, however a 'comic universe' sort of human strength similar, I guess, to Sin City. The only one who had powers was Dr. Manhattan.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I saw it on the imax last night, thought it was pretty rubbish actually.

The guy with the changing mask (rawshack is it?) has some pretty good scenes and f@#ks some dudes up which is always good to see.. but thats about it for me.

Was pretty long and boring besides that. And my god does the blue glowing guy go on with some crap! Cry me a river and get some bloody clothes on! haha .. actually i give him credit for doing the chick while doing his work at the same time.. ill give him that!

Last edited:

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just saw it at IMAX, it was an extreemly AWESOME movie (but it was a bit too loud).
yeh was too loud which is a shame because they have amazing sound at the imax.. i expected better colour coming from the imax too, seemed sorta dull and dark in places.. still very clear pic though.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Care to elaborate? Or am I missing the internet sarcasm?
no serious, i felt they tried to just fit abit of everything, filling the story line and movie with crap that wasnt needed, the last 40mins each scene felt like an ending only to end up going to another. Graphics were over done and all round was disappointed...

frostbite

Likes Dirt
"Crap that wasn't needed"? Try reading the book.

Hell, try reading a book.
Big difference between a book and a movie though. You can put as much detail as you like into a book and skip around with the plot far more than with a movie.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
"Crap that wasn't needed"? Try reading the book.

Hell, try reading a book.
Spike, there's no point even worrying about it. We knew if they brought a literary (and yes everyone, that word is warranted) work like Watchmen to the big screen, all the people who wouldn't get it, don't understand it, expect a film with the depth of Spiderman, seeing it because they're with friends who pulled them along, etc... They'll be watching it.

As much as I wanted to see a movie of Watchmen, I kinda agree with with Alan Moore and think maybe it should never have been made... partially because of most people don't deserve to see the film.

Ozchuck

Likes Dirt
I dunno, I thought it was really entertaining...
I dont think it deserves all this "omg they killed it" and "people dont deserve it" business.

People go to the movies to be entertained, not to think about a films meaning and how it applies to our day-to-day life.

Theres a book there for all the people to get exposed to, and I think I'll go get a copy ASAP.