Watchmen

Z100

Likes Bikes
People go to the movies to be entertained, not to think about a films meaning
Very narrow minded view that is! What about something like Fight Club or Requim for a Dream? I could go on with countless films that both entertain and make you think.

I loved the film, found it entertaining and thought provoking. Small note, I think you get more out of Watchmen if you not only read the graphic novel, but have some knowledge about the Cold war, Cuban missile crisis, doomsday clock etc.

carpo_jnr

Likes Dirt
meh, I thought it was good, I haven't read the book but had a mate there to explain anything to me...
I just loved bout anything with Rorschach (get your damn spelling right people)... Nutter of a guy

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Yeah, the guy who played Rorschach did an excellent job. I didn't love the growly Batman voice (Rorschach speaks in a dull, flat monotone, dammit!), but it certainly didn't ruin the movie for me, and everything else about his performance was spot-on.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Oh, a bit of trivia for you guys - Rorschach is loosely based on a Charlton Comics character called The Question, who was created by Steve Ditko, co-creator of Spider-Man.

fairy1

Banned
Wow what a steaming pile of poop, I watched it yesterday, If I had their powers I would be able to get my three hours back.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Wow what a steaming pile of poop, I watched it yesterday, If I had their powers I would be able to get my three hours back.
Y'see, now, if you actually read some books in your spare time, Watchmen might have been one of them, and you wouldn't have wasted your money.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Most of them don't have any powers.

If you were Rorschach, you could beat up the Earth until it decides to spin backwards and reverse the flow of time like in the first Superman movie, I guess.

floody

Wheel size expert
Considering you used the phrase 'their' in regard to superpowers in Watchmen, I think its safe to say your enjoyment level is roughly on a par with your level of understanding.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is it worth watching if i have no idea what its about? like, is the movie actually good if you didn't even know the comic existed?

toodles

Wheel size expert
Just got home from watching the Watchmen (hur hur hur).

Spare me your psuedo-intellectual "oh you didn't love it - you're an illiterate idiot" bullshit, but I think there was room to improve on several aspects of it.

Overall, I did likethe the movie, but the running time made the slower aspects drag out a fair bit. I loved the soundtrack, special effects and casting. Just some sections needed to be abbreviated.

Still hella cool.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
some sections needed to be abbreviated.
It's interesting that you say that, considering they cut vast amounts of the back story and supporting characters that were in the book.

Of course, if they were to film the book as a whole, it would have to be a twelve-part TV series or something. As long as it wasn't shown on Fox - they'd show all the episodes out of order, and probably stop showing it altogether around Chapter 9 or so.

toodles

Wheel size expert
It's interesting that you say that, considering they cut vast amounts of the back story and supporting characters that were in the book.

Of course, if they were to film the book as a whole, it would have to be a twelve-part TV series or something. As long as it wasn't shown on Fox - they'd show all the episodes out of order, and probably stop showing it altogether around Chapter 9 or so.
Interesting you say that, sometimes a mini-series is the only way to do things justice. I know no-one likes the stop-start nature of a mini-series, but that's what DVD box sets are for.

Kuragari

Likes Bikes
Where were the sugar cubes?! That's what I want to know!!
I want to know why Laurie wasn't smoking. Was it to be politically correct or what... She wasn't supposed to be just randomly pushing buttons in Archie. :p

I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if it was in 12 parts. It would have been one loooooooong and slow experience otherwise, only in the sense that pretty much the first 11 chapters were back story to set up the end game and we sort of only reached the 'present' in the 12th chapter.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I want to know why Laurie wasn't smoking. Was it to be politically correct or what...
I hate hate hate that phrase, but yeah, that's something I noticed too.

I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if it was in 12 parts. It would have been one loooooooong and slow experience otherwise, only in the sense that pretty much the first 11 chapters were back story to set up the end game and we sort of only reached the 'present' in the 12th chapter.
Yeah, but that's assuming the whole point of the story was to get to the 'end game'.