What are you listening to NOW?

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There just seems to be so many bands around lately who really really wish they were My Bloody Valentine.....and it's working for me

[video=youtube;C2IDsiEumP0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2IDsiEumP0[/video]

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I'm also enjoying the return of shoegaze. I got to see My Bloody Valentine live at the Prince about when the Glider EP came out. They were amazing in front of a small crowd.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I wanted a little high school nostalgia, so it's the soundtrack for the crow. Most tunes are still good with the cure being a highlight. I don't remember it being a particularly good film and don't think I could be bothered to find out.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Deep Purple's freshly-escaped new (yes, even after 50 years they're still doing new stuff) album, inFinite.
I saw these guys in concert a fee years back, they still rocked plenty hard. What's the album like? Are they still creative musically or is it formula hard rock (you know pushing out what works for their brand like AC/DC and the stones do)?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
It's good. They've never really been "formula"; casual listeners who would only have ever heard "Smoke On The Water" and expect everything to sound like that would be in for a rude shock. The album has its punchy, balls-out rock moments you'd expect, but also explores more airy, atmospheric pieces with almost David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)-esque soaring guitar outros. Their aim over all the years has always been to keep pushing new boundaries, and they're still doing that, and doing it well.

Whether or not they'll keep going is up in the air, 'cos they're all getting on a bit, and the album title, plus that of the upcoming tours, "The Long Goodbye" are playfully intended to get everyone guessing while recognising that they can't go forever. Guitarist Steve Morse has given the strongest hints: suffering increasingly severe arthritis in his right hand, he's finding it more difficult to play, and wanted to make this a record to be proud of as a final statement while he still could. Plus he's also said he wants to be the last gutarist in DP - he wasn't the first, but wants to be the last.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It's good. They've never really been "formula"; casual listeners who would only have ever heard "Smoke On The Water" and expect everything to sound like that would be in for a rude shock. The album has its punchy, balls-out rock moments you'd expect, but also explores more airy, atmospheric pieces with almost David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)-esque soaring guitar outros. Their aim over all the years has always been to keep pushing new boundaries, and they're still doing that, and doing it well.

Whether or not they'll keep going is up in the air, 'cos they're all getting on a bit, and the album title, plus that of the upcoming tours, "The Long Goodbye" are playfully intended to get everyone guessing while recognising that they can't go forever. Guitarist Steve Morse has given the strongest hints: suffering increasingly severe arthritis in his right hand, he's finding it more difficult to play, and wanted to make this a record to be proud of as a final statement while he still could. Plus he's also said he wants to be the last gutarist in DP - he wasn't the first, but wants to be the last.
Good to hear. When I saw them they had a much younger (than the rest of the group) guitarist who had a very different style that didn't quite seem to fit with the rest of the unit.

Interestingly they were touring with Status Quo, talking about formula. Those guys did a great job of entertaining on stage.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I wanted a little high school nostalgia, so it's the soundtrack for the crow. Most tunes are still good with the cure being a highlight. I don't remember it being a particularly good film and don't think I could be bothered to find out.
Someone uses the insult "ass-hair". Novel.

That's literally the only thing I can remember about that movie. So yeah you can probably save yourself a couple of hours by not watching it.

Back on topic: felt like I should surrender my metalhead licence by only discovering Feed Her to The Sharks a couple of months ago. Still cranking the shit out of them though.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

Good to hear. When I saw them they had a much younger (than the rest of the group) guitarist who had a very different style that didn't quite seem to fit with the rest of the unit.

Interestingly they were touring with Status Quo, talking about formula. Those guys did a great job of entertaining on stage.
Yeah, that's Steve Morse; about a decade younger than the elder statesmen of the band, he joined late in '94. The band deliberately made a point at the time of recruiting someone who wasn't a Ritchie Blackmore clone, and I must admit I'm not blown away by their earlier stuff with him in the band; I just don't like the wheezy American hair-metal guitar tone he had at the time. As time has gone on, through use of different amps, some knob-twiddling on said amps and just not trying to pack a bazillion notes into every second, he's moved to a more traditional British hard rock sound that much better fits the classic Purple sound.

Last edited:

mtb1611

Seymour
Saw these guys last night at the Hordern in Sydney......ordinary set list considering their catalogue but was a great show:

[video=youtube;7KinzaGkArw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KinzaGkArw[/video]

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I havent listened to this properly in years, fuck its a good album. Such a shame they went overly commercial later on....

I saw this album played in a pub on Smith St Collingwood with about 200 people tops. A memorable gig.

[video=youtube;3NZlwe4bwEE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NZlwe4bwEE[/video]