What are you listening to NOW?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I utterly disagree about Nirvana. They deserve their place in history for the right reasons.

And back on track, this is classic:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Nah. Nirvana mostly sucked. In that era there was a lot of much better music.
I agree on both points but Nirvana did have some seriously gigantic influence on people in that 1990's vintage. I was a teenager at the time and heavily into music and the image that went with making sure the people around you knew what you listened to and you're assumption that that made you cool or grunge or carefree or whatever. The Nirvana fanboys were very much the emo of that era and tried so hard to be so casual and it fucking drove me nuts. Every kid started hanging out in the music sections of the school buildings at lunchtime and plucked strings on guitars and had absolutely not one fucking clue what they were doing but they all thought they looked like Kurt Cobain with their roughed up hair and untucked shirt. Far out, the image was so crazy!
I very vividly remember the day that Kurt Cobain was announced as dead. Far out, it was pretty damn big news in my part of the world and at my age it was a really influential thing. I like to think I was always a bit more of a forward thinker than people my age and was astounded at the things that happened that week. We had teachers keeping some kids in classrooms at lunch on what seemed like suicide watch and we had other kids seeing Doctors for their pain, it was crazy! We even had a girl in a history class put her hand up and ask if she could express herself and talk about the life of Kurt Cobain. Fuck me, the teacher said nope, sit down and learn about Islamabad but nah, she cried, stomped her feet and stood up with tears all over her and started reciting a Nirvana song and pointed to the ceiling screaming"We love you Kurt!". The end result of that was astounding; most people in that room acted like they were interested in whatever the fuck had just happened while some giggled and a couple of others (me included) just sat there with our jaws on the desk wondering why this grunge era was motivating kids to act like this. It was a really crazy thing to see!
I left school and met new people and broadened my music interest and watched this Nirvana style of image breed some new styles of music from people who had their own way of defining grunge and yep, it made Nirvana; albeit a pioneer of sorts look totally lame in my eyes. Mind you, it was all too emotional that sort of music and heavy metal was always my preference.
Years later, I had a chance encounter with a girl who was in that classroom and I hadn't seen for a long time. She was beautiful, turned out to be a really gorgeous woman. She'd grown up a bit and was comfortable talking to people and she bought up the day that that girl yelled the Cobain stuff and she awkwardly said she watched me the whole time as she knew from other people that I was a bit more mature than others. She said the teacher was also watching me and there was some weird triangle thing going on while everyone else acted like tools about it. I wasn't sure what she was getting at and I just shrugged it off and changed the subject until she said that that girl ended up cutting her wrists and writing stories about hanging herself etc and was in care somewhere and had truly lost her marbles...............that got my attention. It's a combination of feelings in that sense but the influence that group (Cobain especially) had on young people was amazing.
Totally off topic and not related, I didn't see that girl for another year or two and bumped into her in Sydney when the town was going crazy during the Olympic closing ceremony and she looked a little weathered but still hot as. She hit me up for some company "back at her place" but I was making my way to the train to get home after I saw that amazing fighter jet sequence extinguishing the Olympic torch as I'd had a fucking whopper of a crash the day before and could barely stand up. I told her that stuff and she said she'd help fix it but I pussed out and bailed. I found out another few years later that she turned out to be the girl from school that (in a Borat voice) "Had the sex" with everyone and she had some wild STD going on.
What is the moral of this long winded yarn? Ride bikes and wear condoms. ;)

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
My partner saw Nirvana play in St Kilda back in the day and she claims it was an epically good gig. I would have liked to have been there.

I was never cool enough to rock the whole emo thing, I just liked the music and also wondered why people were losing their minds about some muso they never met blowing his brains out...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I agree on both points but Nirvana did have some seriously gigantic influence on people in that 1990's vintage...

Really bug snip on that one.

What is the moral of this long winded yarn? Ride bikes and wear condoms. ;)
I didn't say they weren't influential, that is for certain both culturally and musically. I even liked one of their albums!

And yeah, wear those condoms kids! And wank twice before making a decision about a girl.

My partner saw Nirvana play in St Kilda back in the day and she claims it was an epically good gig. I would have liked to have been there.

I was never cool enough to rock the whole emo thing, I just liked the music and also wondered why people were losing their minds about some muso they never met blowing his brains out...
Well demonstrated by your confusion over musical style and fashion trends.

I've seen lots of good shows. Lots of icons from the era in question and plenty of nobody's. It was a great time to be alive!

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
It was about 15 years for me... When hip hop was beginning to be played I tapped out. But it was slightly less (ok, a lot less...) shit than the commercial radio, and Radio National (my usual radio fare due to regular interesting stuff) had Easter religious crap on.
I didn't mind the hiphop stuff, I stopped listening when all the garbage wubwub diarrhea music started to get played a lot

Jpez

Down on the left!
I didn't mind the hiphop stuff, I stopped listening when all the garbage wubwub diarrhea music started to get played a lot
I mainly listen to the independent stations like RRR and PBS but over time they’ve lost most of their punk/ronck’n’roll, shows that I listened to the most. When there was no shows on that I cared for I’d turn it over to JJJ as that was most palatable.
Especially working on building sites where MMM was on all the time JJJ would get the least whinging from the bogan contingent of tradies.
I even used to like the skip hop stuff they started playing. JJJ lost it for me when they started playing songs with voice modulation. What a fucking pox on music that shit is.
Even JJ which was designed to appeases us old cunts that whinged about the current crop of music being played on jjj has slowly become too similar to JJJ.

As for Nirvana. I remember when a mate called me up and said you gotta hear this album Bleach from some band called Nirvana the day it was realeased at Au go go records the day it was realeased and we sat there listening to that over and over and over. It was brilliant. The following albums not so much.
I saw Nirvana at the Palace and it was pretty mind blowing. I won’t forget that show.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I suspect you're not the sort of person that gets under my skin. Unless you're an immature vindictive stupid little arsehole who likes to make up stories and spread gossip and generally cause trouble as a salve for own massive insecurity issues?
Nailed it.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I pretty much missed the whole nirvana thing, for that I am grateful
Never understood the whole nirvana thing, then again, never understood the whole smack addiction thing either.

I was listening to howling wolf, muddy Waters and Robert Johnson while all my mates were avoiding showers and mumbling along to unintelligible lryics drowned out by effects pedals.

stirk

Burner
I had a similar experience to Doze in that I sat back and watched the grunge explosion happen while the underground fringe cringed.

It was amusing to watch 'normal' people get a sense of belonging from it as the music became mainstream while the true underground moved on very quickly.

Same thing happened in the electronic acid techno scene.

The massive sub-genre explosion happened soon after.

mtb1611

Seymour
I was at this concert:

I was at the second night. Cosmic Psychos opened, going to see them tomorrow night at the Bald Faced Stag in Leichardt.

Saw Nirvana at the very first BDO in Sydney, Straya Day '92 and it was amazing. The Hordern was jammed way beyond capacity and we were sandwiched against the stage, literally 6 feet from Kurt. Was a fantastic show. The same can't be said for the Selinas gig though. Kurt came out in a lab coat and was clearly off his dial. Many of the lyrics were unintelligible, banter bewteen songs was mostly non-existant and jibberish at best. At the end of the set he knelt in front of his Marshall and headbutted the amp constantly with a wall of feedback as a soundtrack. Grohl trashed his kit, Novoselic thanked the crowd, the lights came on, roadies set about packing up, people started leaving......and Kurt remained in his knees headbutting the amp!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I was at the second night. Cosmic Psychos opened, going to see them tomorrow night at the Bald Faced Stag in Leichardt.

Saw Nirvana at the very first BDO in Sydney, Straya Day '92 and it was amazing. The Hordern was jammed way beyond capacity and we were sandwiched against the stage, literally 6 feet from Kurt. Was a fantastic show. The same can't be said for the Selinas gig though. Kurt came out in a lab coat and was clearly off his dial. Many of the lyrics were unintelligible, banter bewteen songs was mostly non-existant and jibberish at best. At the end of the set he knelt in front of his Marshall and headbutted the amp constantly with a wall of feedback as a soundtrack. Grohl trashed his kit, Novoselic thanked the crowd, the lights came on, roadies set about packing up, people started leaving......and Kurt remained in his knees headbutting the amp!
The saying says that all the best music is made by drug users but one has to wonder if the decisions that arsehat made were of much worth.................

Regarding Nirvana, you know what shitted me off the most of the whole thing? The unplugged set, thats what. It still gets played to death and everyone claims to love it and love Nirvana blah blah blah but you ask them "Hey cool! Whats your favorite album?" and they say its the one with that song about the girl on it. Bandwagon much? That unplugged set was fucking lame Nanna boring shit!