What are YOU reading?`

nizai

Likes Dirt
Im readng Deer Hunting With Jesus by Joe Bageant. Im about 20 pages in and its BRILLIANT. A genuine observation of the American working class filled with dry humour and great stories about rednecks.

Im also reading Eric Clapton's autobiography.

And I recently bought a copy of Friedman's 'The World is Flat', which im very much looking forward to reading.

N

Bretty.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just picked up Collin's SAS Survival Guide. Really interesting read.

Anyone know of an Australia specific survival book? Something that illustrates edible/inedible plant life, and camp craft specific to Aussie environments?

TheBug

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone know of an Australia specific survival book? Something that illustrates edible/inedible plant life, and camp craft specific to Aussie environments?
Don't know how old you are Bretty, but 'Bush Tucker Man' was a classic from the late 80's to early 90's and goes over all that stuff you stated.
Can still buy Les' DVD's at ABC shops, maybe even books.
It was really a great show.

ag1

Likes Bikes
Been reading Ice Man the confessions of a mafia contract killer.
Whoa... what a twisted individual, great read though recommend it.

zac

Likes Dirt
Preacher. A comic about a disillusioned minister who, armed only with The Word, an ability to make people do whatever he tells them to do, sets off on a quest to find God and ask Him why He has decided to abandon His creation.

Lots of comics are suitable for kids. This ain't one of them.
OH HELL YES! These are brilliant, the storyline sags a bit in the middle but overall they're incredible. Also Sin City, Watchmen, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 1 and 2, Fables and 100 Bullets...

Other books I've read lately:
Brian Lumley's Necroscope series
The Great and Secret Show and Coldheart Canyon by Clive Barker
Slash and Let it Bleed (Gunners biography)
Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe and Starbuck novels - just getting back into these, just wish he'd finish the Starbuck series already. The Sharpe telemovies are pretty good too...

Bretty.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't know how old you are Bretty, but 'Bush Tucker Man' was a classic from the late 80's to early 90's and goes over all that stuff you stated.
Can still buy Les' DVD's at ABC shops, maybe even books.
It was really a great show.
Yeah I've got quite a few episodes floating around here on tape, but I'm after books, something to read while out and about in the wilderness. Cheers bud.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Been reading Ice Man the confessions of a mafia contract killer.
Whoa... what a twisted individual, great read though recommend it.
Freaky story, I agree. Feeding people alive to rats tends to add a certain shiver-factor to a book of true crime stories. Really macabre reading!

Gang leader for a day - Sudhir Venkatesh
Awesome book, could hardly be more interesting. The essence of the story is an indian guy, raised in a rich part of the USA, goes into one of the larger black slums in Chicago and manages more or less by dumb luck to attach himself to one of the local gang leaders. Over time, this allows him to make some really insightful comments on the society and culture. The best book on sociology field work I have read in aaaages.

Risk - Dan Gardner
An interesting analysis of why we are chronically unable to make realistic assessments of how dangerous things are and the irrational nature of most of our fears. Not too heavy, and has many interesting ideas to boot.

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Raw by Scott Monk

I am re-reading it because we are studying it for school, and I have to say it is still may favourite book to read, even the second time round.

I highly recommend it, as well as any other Scott Monk novels.

Gnar

Squid
A Steven Eriksson series. At the moment the book itself is 'House of Chains'. Anyone into really epic/war/action style fantasy should look into this guy. I used to read alot of Raymond E. Fiest stuff, he is good, but Eriksson is a little faster paced and therefor suits my progressiely shorter attention span.....now I'm bored.

Doggy

Inconceivable!
OH HELL YES! These are brilliant, the storyline sags a bit in the middle but overall they're incredible. Also Sin City, Watchmen, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 1 and 2, Fables and 100 Bullets...

Other books I've read lately:
Brian Lumley's Necroscope series
The Great and Secret Show and Coldheart Canyon by Clive Barker
Slash and Let it Bleed (Gunners biography)
Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe and Starbuck novels - just getting back into these, just wish he'd finish the Starbuck series already. The Sharpe telemovies are pretty good too...
The Sharpe and Starbuck novels are some of my favourite books, love reading them. The Sharpe shows were tops, very well done along with the books

nizai

Likes Dirt
Still reading Eric Claptons Autobiog. But have also started The World Is Flat by 3 time Pulitzer prize winner Thomas L Friedman.

I can thoroughly recommend Deer Hunting with Jesus - Joe Bageant. It will rethink every stereotype you have about the American south and rednecks.

N

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Just re-reading The Crucible trilogy by Sara Douglass.
It's a medieval fantasy that proposes Armageddon happened in the 1300s and we missed it....
Quite interesting in light of the nephilim discussion that popped up in one of the religous threads awhile ago. sheds some new light on the plot that I missed first time around

Jonathan Safran Foer's, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. A wonderfully crafted story. Heart wrenching, funny, confronting and profoundly deep in oh so many ways. The kind of story that makes you want to get up and tell your significant other or family just how much you love and care about them.

Up there as one of the best books I've ever had in my hands. Amazing.

2-fast

Likes Dirt
Vampire Trilogy
By Darren Shan

Pretty good book but can be scary sometimes especially
when you are reading it in bed.

Someone might come out of my Closet!!!

Ahhhhhh

Lol :D