What are YOU reading?`

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Hemingway in Paris: A Moveable Feast.

Ernest Hemingway's personal recount of his time in Paris during the '20s as a young, poor writer. Written in true Hemingway style, it contains wonderful descriptions of the people and places of 1920s Paris - including people like Gertrude Stein and James Joyce and so on.

I'm about half way through it and loving it - it's exactly the type of book I enjoy most.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Hemingway in Paris: A Moveable Feast.

Ernest Hemingway's personal recount of his time in Paris during the '20s as a young, poor writer. Written in true Hemingway style, it contains wonderful descriptions of the people and places of 1920s Paris - including people like Gertrude Stein and James Joyce and so on.

I'm about half way through it and loving it - it's exactly the type of book I enjoy most.
Can't say Hemmingway is one of my favourite authors, although "The old man and the sea" was a great book. "For whom the bell tolls" is not my thing either.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Title:The White Tiger
Author: Aravind Adiga
ISBN:978-84354-7222-8

I'm @ page 81 and have been since transported back to India from the moment I started reading this on the plane. I'm usually very sceptical of books bearing 'Winner of blah blah blah 19%^ and rave reviews from newspapers, but in this instance I think it is pretty spot on. Kind of bleak and haunting, but amazing at the same time.

Last edited:
Tom Robbins - Jitterbug Perfume

Highly recommended!

I rarely read fiction - always find it difficult to 'lose myself' in a story. But this book is something else. His descriptions, the imagery, and even the storyline can be totally insane and bizarre, but still always seems to make perfect sense, even when you don't understand it.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bart D. Ehrman - "Gospel Of Judas Iscariot"

A book on the recently found gospel of Judas that goes pretty much against what all Christian readings of what Judas' role was like. Also puts the texts of the bible into a realistic historical backdrop and their relative lack of worth as historical documents.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Foxtrot Oscar- Charlie Owen.

1970's era British police novel- rough as guts and funny as hell. Great book if you're looking for escapism entertainment.

floody

Wheel size expert
Just read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies; Jane Austen, Seth Grahame-Smith. Pretty well done if a little too overboard on the martial arts component. The Zombies themselves actually fitted in too neatly.

Reading Hey Nietzsche! Leave Them Kids Alone by Craig Schuftan of The Culture Club fame. Great so far.

Still mired in The Mind of God and The Life of Times of Grigorii Rasputin but they're both boring me shitless and not competing well for my time.

Itching to get hold of some issues of Rob Zombie's Spookshow International, but was slightly disappointed when I found it was not illustrated, Astrocreep 2000 and La Sexorcisto style, by Mr. Zombie, but by professional illustrators.

Last edited:

Binaural

Eats Squid
The Spiders of Allah - James Hider
Billed as a book about the experiences of an unbeliever in the middle east, it has thus far been nothing more than an enjoyable and interesting collection of the author's experiences as a journalist in postwar Iraq, and is none the worse for it.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Title: Iggy Pop; Open up and Bleed
Author: Paul Trynka
ISBN: 978-0-7515-3810-4

After reading Dave Grohls wankfest biography, I swore never to read another muso biography. I broke my promise, and I stupidly parted with $27.99 for a firelighter that doesn't burn. Iggy may have been creative, but imho he was a zero who Trynka attempts to re-invent as a hero. Typical/predictable story of creative cough 'genius' cough meets smack meets girls meets smack meets girls meets their own ego/id struggle meets parasitic hangers on meets booze meets more smack and falls asleep at the wheel. Dissapointing.
I still like some of his music though.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Title: Iggy Pop; Open up and Bleed
Author: Paul Trynka
ISBN: 978-0-7515-3810-4

After reading Dave Grohls wankfest biography, I swore never to read another muso biography. I broke my promise, and I stupidly parted with $27.99 for a firelighter that doesn't burn. Iggy may have been creative, but imho he was a zero who Trynka attempts to re-invent as a hero. Typical/predictable story of creative cough 'genius' cough meets smack meets girls meets smack meets girls meets their own ego/id struggle meets parasitic hangers on meets booze meets more smack and falls asleep at the wheel. Dissapointing.
I still like some of his music though.
Does he mention the bit in his life when he whores himself out to an insurance company to make cringeworthy adverts?

wanker.

same goes for Lydon, and I'll throw in a mention to Ringo Starr too. Whilst he's not exactly a punk icon, he did throw a massive tanty a few months ago demanding that fans stop sending him fanmail as he was sick and tired of it and would essentially like to retire from the public eye.

Yeah? Still collecting those Beatles cheques you scouse prick? What about that Aviva (another insurance/financial industry type thing) advert you're whoring yourself out on?

Sanctimonious wanker. Peace and Love, my arse, I'm sending him a big envelope full of 'fan mail' courtesy of my dog's sphincter!

:cool:

conor.1

Genetic Throwback
ok, i need some help with this. my dad is looking for this book.it is titled 'He created them by mistake-The Persians, the Jews and the flies. author is Wali Baghdad.

i have searched the local and state library in QLD. Just wondering if anybody has heard/read it and knows where to get one.

Cheers, Conor

floody

Wheel size expert
I suspect finding a book written by Saddam Hussein's uncle, allegedly a million seller through the crude expedient of corruptly forcing 20,000 schools in Iraq to purchase 50 copies each, published in 1974 will be somewhat difficult.

Little T

Likes Dirt
Finished it a while ago but it was: The Book Thief, Markus Zusak. The book is narrated by death so it gives a different perspective about all the events that occur within the novel.

I'm currently writing a narrative for a gap within the book. Having to try and replicate Markus' writing style is a bit hard at the moment due to it being very descriptive with colours, etc.

nizai

Likes Dirt
Ive been reading The World Is Flat by Thomas Friedman and he is increasingly coming across as a douchebag the further I get into the book.

It's a somewhat revisionist history of the effect of the globalization of media and communication in the recent era since the Berlin Wall fell and Netscape invented a web browser.

It's informative and well written, but geez it lacks serious punch. Most of the assumptions are broadly driven from anecdotal conversations he has had with people running "outsourced" and "offshored" companies in India and China.

The problem is, having read Naomi Klein's No Logo im perfectly aware of the downside caused by these forces and Friedman does so much to gloss over it he damn near champions the idea of a western economy which produces nothing and exports every worker it can - proclaiming that it will all work out in the end when workers learn to retool.

Im not nearly as jaded and vicious as Klein is toward the Globalization movement, but Friedman's sheer lack of detail in his arguments make him look like a two bit New York Times columnist - oh wait.

Suffice to say this ones going to the used book store and not on my shelf.

N

addmin

Likes Dirt
for ex1 English I'm reading Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad and White Fang by Jack London

Just for fun I am reading "The evil deeds of the ratbag profession" by Brett Dawson, the guy has a serious grudge against the legal profession

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
The Magus by John Fowles

An interesting, emotional, heavily psychological fictional novel given to me by a really close friend who knew it'd strike a nerve. It did, and i'm really glad I read it.

Definitely one of my favourites of all time now, and i'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's into literature that'll make them think and/or re-evaluate themselves.

That told you fuck all about the book...but it's good! :)