What bike should I buy?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'm thinking about getting into riding mountain bikes, which is the best bike for me? I want to to jumps and mad skids.

So I'm back looking for a hard tail to cover commuting and trail riding - half of my commute is riding trails, some of which are a bit gnarled and rocky. I ride hard and without much sympathy for the bike.

I'd ideally like a 29er (Moorey's tears are like wine to me) along the lines of a Trek Stache but it doesn't seem to be sold in Australia anymore. The Roscoe is the only HT trail bike they have but they only have the 8, the wheel base/stays are significantly longer than the stache and it's 27.5. I'd also like a Honzo AL/DL, which Groupe Sprotif don't import (I have emailed them asking if it's possible).

Santa Cruz Chameleon would be an easy choice but it's right at the top of the price point scale. Transition TranAm would be in consideration but not looking for steel, given that this will be my #1 commuter and I'm going for weight savings here.

Given the low number of 29" AL/HTs on the market I will also have to consider 27.5+

I like slack HA, I like shorter wheel base, so that means shorter stays. I like plus size tyres as I'm a 90kg+ hack plow that requires all the forgiveness a bike can afford. I also like sloping top tubes so I can drop the post as far as possible on descents and when cornering.

Now, bowl me over with advice and cheap offers on expensive bikes!!!!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Trans am not made anymore, anythin supersports have is old stock. They do have carbon hardtail models though. Exxy however.

Don’t let steel hold you back, have you seen @slider_phil’s solaris?? 10.8kg, god damn. Not plus tyre though.

Stanton sherpa? 2.4” with 29”, 3.0” 27.5.
Looks great. Steel. Different dropouts for different size hubs. 435mm chainstay
Lotsa colour choice. A personal favourite, never ridden one but they look amazing

New giant XTC? I know it’s not slack but it’s one of the cheapest light bikes out (and sliding dropouts for ss goodness).

Cromag rootdown? Exxy but cromag are rad and it’s not my money

Edit: Actaully never mind the above buy this.
https://www.commencal-store.com.au/Mobile/meta-ht-am-race-29-2019-c2x26304462
$1500-$2900

Last edited:

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
There was a Stache for sale in either Sydney or Blue Mountains recently, would you consider second hand?

EDIT: It was in Newcastle, happy to facilitate an inspection if you like.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Have you considered a tricycle? I've seen your videos and really think it would suit your...style.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
@pink poodle I've done videos?

@Ultra Lord Very much like the look of the Com Meta. That is pretty close to the top of the list at this stage.

@Daniel Hale Happy to entertain the Norco. Pics and spec list would be welcome.

@oliosky How do you like the octane? You have a pics you can show with it built up?

@cokeonspecialtwodollars not a big fan of carbon (scared I'll break it...) and that's starting to hit the top of my price range and if I'm going to spend that much I'm buying new. Thanks for searching it out and posting it up though.

Ultra Lord

that commie is amazing value for the money, 4 pot brakes, lyric, dropper, its like a new better norco sasquatch, that doesn’t look horrible!

Only thing is the formula hubs, I’ve never had anythin to do with them but some people on here have had trouble with them.
Somethin to keep an eye on I suppose, they always cut costs somewhere.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I noted the hubs too. Problem with them is that they're not something easy and straight forward to replace.

Never trashed a hub before, just rims, frames, cranks, brakes, pedals, derailleurs, seats, spokes, etc.

Ultra Lord

Yeah, I’d just grab another complete wheel off crc or something,
I noted the hubs too. Problem with them is that they're not something easy and straight forward to replace.

Never trashed a hub before, just rims, frames, cranks, brakes, pedals, derailleurs, seats, spokes, etc.
https://www.99bikes.com.au/norco-torrent-1-ht-chrome-black-bronze-27-5-2018

This is also pretty great for the coin, but not 29”, and novatec hubs. Hit and miss depending on the model of hub, some models are great and go forever and some conk out early. No idea which is which sadly (the giant branded ones on my reign were novatecs and I blew through two of em in 6 months before I bit the bullet and got hopes. Had novatecs on a kona cowan that lasted three years no worries *shrugs*)

I reckon at this price point it’s a case of run it until it breaks and then replace with better. You get some great parts on both bikes though that don’t need worrying about. $400 for a rear wheel is better than $1200 for a set of forks imo

Buyin new bikes is hard haha! If you can stick to your budget props to you mate, I always blow it out and get yelled at

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Build one. I just bought one of these frames - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/octane-one-prone-29-frame-2018/rp-prod155477

29, slack, sloping, short stays, Al, stealth dropper routing.
I have one of them (it's actually in my profile pic come to think of it), was a fun MTB but have since commuterised it. Only negatives I can think of were it's a little tight on tyre clearance (29x2.3 - 2.4" would be the absolute max while still leaving some clearance) and even for a hardtail the back-end of the bike is very stiff. Mate has a 27.5+ Merida Big Trail 600 and it is so much more compliant and not just because of the tyre volume. Still rate the Prone overall and it loves flowy singletrack. BB is pretty low if trying to ride tech though!

Ultra Lord

Funniest part is, I’m buying a bike because the wife got a raise :D
Jesus ain’t you livin the dream!

Mrs Ultra just got a pay rise at a new job, that’s 1/3 the commute of the old job so savin more money there too, and all I got out of it was a pub feed that I had to pay for.

Whats the secret?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
There is an actual answer to that question. Make sure the partner is aware of the dangers of riding on older bikes.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/con...e-life-for-bicycle-parts-20161118-gss41s.html

I shit you not, my wife insists I not ride my 15 year old Cannondale 1FG after she read that article....., which may, or may not have been strategically left in her email inbox.
Johnny, for the safety and peace of mind of all Rotorburners, can we please make this a sticky on the front page of the forum?