What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Do you actually think it’s that worth the $100 premium? - asking for a friend :) - I have always been happy with XT level shifter but maybe I’m missing something ?
I use to always run x0 shifters when SRAM was affordable. I now run Saint because Shimano is affordable. Neither are xtr, but both are a lot crisper than the lesser levels. I imaginE xtr would be bliss, even if only in my mind.

moorey

call me Mia
Gave the old girl some fresh rubber.

First ever time straying from Schwalbe, and coming from twin Magic Mary... Hope I'm not disappointed!

Also pulled a hefty dent out of my rim.
Serviced the fork a few weekends back and had the shock done by NSD.

Now I can't ride it 'cause Stage 4 Rona. :(

View attachment 365752
You won’t look back after those tyres. ;)

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I thought I'd finally get around to putting some brakes back on the old 29er xc singlespeed after giving those brakes to daughter's build.

Well fk me, turns out one of the xt calipers I got sent from some dodgy trader turned out to have a cracked piston!

Luckily I had another caliper with a cracked piston I was able to whip the good piston out of and get this bad boy back up and running. I've never stuffed around with calipers before, turns out they're good and simple.

I'll take the whole thing as a positive:
1- mmm hard and heavy has excellent garage tunes. I think I need a dab radio for work now
2- I can pull apart a caliper and get it back together, who knew!
3- I don't have a caliper with a broken piston to try and think of a use for now
4- the dodgy bastard I got this off will now have to know I've put his calipers on a 29er. Xc bike. With one hipster ass gear...

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Gave the old girl some fresh rubber.

First ever time straying from Schwalbe, and coming from twin Magic Mary... Hope I'm not disappointed!

Also pulled a hefty dent out of my rim.
Serviced the fork a few weekends back and had the shock done by NSD.

Now I can't ride it 'cause Stage 4 Rona. :(

View attachment 365752
Great tyres. Definitely less drag than twin MMs, and close to the same grip.

Have you got a custom tune in that Monarch? If you ever get jack of it, a Vivid is a very nice upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Scotty T

Walks the walk
All day messing with various bikes, putting bike parts in boxes, trying to figure out the best option for making an e-bike for wife. Then a dropper pops up, perfect for wife's bike except no internal routing on bike. To drill or not? It's her birthday. I'm stoked she wants an e-bike.

moorey

call me Mia
I thought I'd finally get around to putting some brakes back on the old 29er xc singlespeed after giving those brakes to daughter's build.

Well fk me, turns out one of the xt calipers I got sent from some dodgy trader turned out to have a cracked piston!

Luckily I had another caliper with a cracked piston I was able to whip the good piston out of and get this bad boy back up and running. I've never stuffed around with calipers before, turns out they're good and simple.

I'll take the whole thing as a positive:
1- mmm hard and heavy has excellent garage tunes. I think I need a dab radio for work now
2- I can pull apart a caliper and get it back together, who knew!
3- I don't have a caliper with a broken piston to try and think of a use for now
4- the dodgy bastard I got this off will now have to know I've put his calipers on a 29er. Xc bike. With one hipster ass gear...

Was that one I sent you? :oops:

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Indeed, what kind of dodgy ass trader doesnt open up the calipers and check the back of his pistons to make sure they're intact before sending them?!

It's seriously all good though, I just wanted to make you squirm for a minute

M8000?..I heard this was a pretty common thing..
you can get aftermarket pistons on Ebay, not ceramic though, as they tend to crack ;)

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Great tyres. Definitely less drag than twin MMs, and close to the same grip.

Have you got a custom tune in that Monarch? If you ever get jack of it, a Vivid is a very nice upgrade.
I've been on Magic Mary since ~2014/2015, so I hope it's not too different in terms of grip. Not that it will matter much, I guess. Either way it's gonna feel like I'm a newbie by the time I get to ride again...

Less drag will be nice, and I did notice a slight change in weight just holding the wheels too.

No custom shock tune on the Monarch. Didn't really see a point because I don't particularly like the shock, haha. I'd rather just find a nice coil again. I really miss the CCDB Coil CS I had on the Spitfire before I got the Evolink.

I'd love an EXT Storia, but $$$.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Took me nearly a week after getting home from work, to get motivated for a ride. This swing I've been riding my N+1 Dartmoor Primal like it's my only bike, since I realised I'd only ridden it about 3 times since getting it finished. So three days in a row, 12km at my local.
Tweaked the tyre pressures with my new gauge, only reads up to 60psi so has a better scale for making small adjustments.
Rebound was on the slow side so took a few clicks off and added 10psi to the fork.
Wasn't liking the feel of the Saint pedals so fitted a new pair of OneUp composites, which I really like. There's heaps of flat pedals I haven't tried yet but these are so good, why bother. Plastic pedals are so much better to hit rocks with :oops: and they seem to handle it just fine.

Storm coming today so I'll give the riding a miss, legs are hurting a bit and need some recovery time. The LH BB cup is a bit loose in the frame so I'll have to tighten that up.

The Primal feels good on the small jumps and drops I hit, I'm still working on breaking the habit of pulling on the bars. Did stack it yesty coming out of the sharp left turn that is part of the landing from a small ladder drop. Have made it plenty of times including the previous two days but clipped the end of the handle bar on a blackboy (PC name = grass tree) and flopped to the ground. Instinctive commando roll ( I think I got that from surfing) and not even a graze. Three witnesses, that wasn't cool (not that I GAF really) I think the bloke standing right on the edge of the landing zone put me off a bit, I called out on the approach to make sure he was aware, thought I had the corner nailed but ran a touch wide. It's all narrow single track so there's not much to play with line wise. I do like that section a lot, there are two small drops close together on a down hill section which ends with a switchback into a pinch climb.

I built the Primal around the take-off fork from my Fuel EX, which is 130mm and the Primal's specs call for 140 - 160mm so I should fix that. I could do a swap with the Trace 36mm from the Fuel for testing purposes. Would be really easy as the steerer lengths are the same.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
how the f do you get the f'ers open...? do you need to put in a clamp? feel like im going to round off the torx head before it budges

In other news, I took advantage of the wettest weeked ever to install the XT M8120s I got early in the week. No chance to bed them in properly, but a quick roll on the street they felt really nice.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
how the f do you get the f'ers open...? do you need to put in a clamp? feel like im going to round off the torx head before it budges

In other news, I took advantage of the wettest weeked ever to install the XT M8120s I got early in the week. No chance to bed them in properly, but a quick roll on the street they felt really nice.
I'm just a machine

Put one mount in a vice with the torx head facing up, lefty loosey with extreme prejudice I didn't find them that bad, I've had worse on rotor bolts before, even the reservoir Cap has been tighter on some calipers.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
M8000?..I heard this was a pretty common thing..
you can get aftermarket pistons on Ebay, not ceramic though, as they tend to crack ;)
Whaddayaknow, you can too!

Yet another thing to add to the parts bin and probably never need

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I'm just a machine

Put one mount in a vice with the torx head facing up, lefty loosey with extreme prejudice
I didn't find them that bad, I've had worse on rotor bolts before, even the reservoir Cap has been tighter on some calipers.

OK, it was just me not giving a concerted effort then! No vice unfortunately, so will have to just hang on tight :)