What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
The RB community could chip in for an early Chrissy present for @Jpez ?

I should get a gallbladder. Mine got taken out about 14 years ago, after getting nice and infected. Do not recommend.

How's the recovery going @Jpez ?

Jpez

Down on the left!
The RB community could chip in for an early Chrissy present for @Jpez ?

I should get a gallbladder. Mine got taken out about 14 years ago, after getting nice and infected. Do not recommend.

How's the recovery going @Jpez ?
Don’t…. Make…. Laugh…. Please.
C7765308-7911-4CB6-A7CE-5490F7456F53.png
Not to bad.thanks for askin.
Boredom’s the worst thing. Only got a few minutes in me to do anything before I have recharge again. I’ll get there.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Ahh nice, then yep I saw you. And yeah, everything up around the Boulie was pretty good obviously but I went out the freeway trails to Eaglemont and looped back around via the gravel behind Ivanhoe golf course etc and it was like the Somme in there still haha. Should have stayed closer to home!
Yeah I'd assume anything east of Eaglemont is a total mess. I had a walk a section near the river close to Studley Park - no traction at all. Stuff higher up is fine though.

PJO

in me vL comy
Nice out today balmy 24C, met a few locals on the trails. Nearly ran over both of these guys.

Bluey was sunning in the middle of the track and looked like a stick until I was a few metres away. Managed to stop in time, picked it up, got a tick out of its armpit and made 'em get off the trail.
IMG_20221021_140040_copy_875x1168.jpg

Spike was a bit more obvious so had plenty of time to stop, didn't like me much though was trying very hard to bury itself in the dirt.
IMG_20221021_141328_copy_850x1133.jpg

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, for whatever reason I didn’t get around to blabbing it here before but my shiny new good bike died a sudden death recently. Warranty sorted but new triangle coming from os has meant an annoying wait. Anyway, looks like it’ll land next week.
In preparation today I gave what’s left a thorough clean.
Regreased bearings
Serviced seatpost
Organised frameskin for new triangle
New Forekaster on the rear
Fork and shock being serviced currently.

Should feel like nbd all over again

ausdb

Being who he is
What I did last week but didn't get a chance to post.
I really should start a PYR as I've slowly been collecting parts for a build for my son to ride. I've already got frame and forks from @moorey hidden in the shed and some brakes.
Picked up a set of wheels, bars and pedals. Looks like it's going to be 11sp as there's already a cassette on the rear.
DSC_1533-picsay.jpg

Then I get a message from one of his school mates dads, asking if my son would like his old bike. I ask why he's not giving it to his own son who's the same age and he says he's not really into bikes and thinks my young guy would appreciate it more. My sons says yes he'll have the bike. So after picking up the wheels I then collect this the next day, pure vintage kona goodness or badness depending how you look at it!
_20221008_083223.JPG

Faaarkk too many bikes...

ausdb

Being who he is
Changed pedals on the daughters bike, should probably be in the LTIH thread but why the hell can't people put fucking pedals in without cross threading them? My pedal taps have paid for themselves as just about every kids bike I touch has cross threaded pedals.
DSC_1558-picsay.jpg

I then spent a bit of time with the old kona, it's got some pretty good components on it for its age, but I'm a little lost working out what model these brakes are?
DSC_1557-picsay.jpg
DSC_1560-picsay.jpg

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Changed pedals on the daughters bike, should probably be in the LTIH thread but why the hell can't people put fucking pedals in without cross threading them? My pedal taps have paid for themselves as just about every kids bike I touch has cross threaded pedals.
I was going to mention this in a thread talking about home mechanics, nothing worse than when you quote on a job and most of the bolts are cross threaded and in spots where you can't easily get a tap or Helicoil in.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Faaarkk too many bikes...
You take that back!

View attachment 393714
Because people think "it's just a kids bike, how hard can it be?" But they've never touched a bike before and righty tighty, RIGHTY TIGHTY, why it not righty tighty?
(I know, it's only one pedal that is lefty tighty.) The slight taper on cranks must confuse people and they can't line the threads up so just use brute force

I then spent a bit of time with the old kona, it's got some pretty good components on it for its age, but I'm a little lost working out what model these brakes are?
View attachment 393717
View attachment 393718
Possibly just old deore brakes. Got a model number stamped on the lever or caliper? The hoses are probably BH59.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Wet stuff falling from the sky here in rAdelaide.

Highlander maintenance day.

Serviced the fork.
Chain hot wax, didnt last as long this time as I got caught out with mud a few times.
Serviced the rear hub, repacked bearings.
Scrubbed the cassette.
Checked, cleaned and relubed my AliExpress 60t ratchets as they have just hit 1000km, good so far.
Idler regreased.
Derailleur clean.
New gear cable, probably should have done outer too.
New BB and headset serviced a couple of days ago.

Might be a Zwifty day here.

20221023_111928.jpg

Flow-Rider

Burner
Wet stuff falling from the sky here in rAdelaide.

Highlander maintenance day.

Serviced the fork.
Chain hot wax, didnt last as long this time as I got caught out with mud a few times.
Serviced the rear hub, repacked bearings.
Scrubbed the cassette.
Checked, cleaned and relubed my AliExpress 60t ratchets as they have just hit 1000km, good so far.
Idler regreased.
Derailleur clean.
New gear cable, probably should have done outer too.
New BB and headset serviced a couple of days ago.

Might be a Zwifty day here.

View attachment 393723
How many kms are you getting out of the waxed chains?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
How many kms are you getting out of the waxed chains?
Last batch when it was dry, the one on my gravel bike was around ~700km when I rewaxed without a prompt (squealing)

On my Deviate, Spur and Cotic, I dont really keeping a tally as I usually do them all at once but it must only be ~200km with mud on the trails, I remember thinking my drivetrain was crunchy. I don't ride in the rain, this was just on trails that had puddles... or rivers :oops:

One run from Mt Lofty down on a trail called Ewoks, I was riding down an actual river for about 1km.

Seems water and mud can severely accelerate the waxing frequency. Still learning this hot wax stuff.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Some road bike time due to all the wet about the place. Nice to get but, between trains, trams, traffic and pedestrians it's just not really a fun time
Any bike paths near you Mike? As far as roadie wankering it, we are pretty lucky here, with hundreds of km of bituminised rail trails. Having no interaction with concrete labourers etc makes the experience much better.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any bike paths near you Mike? As far as roadie wankering it, we are pretty lucky here, with hundreds of km of bituminised rail trails. Having no interaction with concrete labourers etc makes the experience much better.
I've got Yarra and Merri trails (plus city circuit) pretty close by, but between runners, dog-walkers and current flood conditions the roads were a better option