What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

ausdb

Being who he is
Shimano M485, a non-series model roughly Alivio level. Pretty basic.
@The Duckmeister perfect, the numbers have come off the other side. I think I'll post more stuff about it in the vintage thread. The guy said it was his first FS bike and pride and joy at the time and you can see the upgrades he did over time from what was a low spec bike to begin with.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Last batch when it was dry, the one on my gravel bike was around ~700km when I rewaxed without a prompt (squealing)

On my Deviate, Spur and Cotic, I dont really keeping a tally as I usually do them all at once but it must only be ~200km with mud on the trails, I remember thinking my drivetrain was crunchy. I don't ride in the rain, this was just on trails that had puddles... or rivers :oops:

One run from Mt Lofty down on a trail called Ewoks, I was riding down an actual river for about 1km.

Seems water and mud can severely accelerate the waxing frequency. Still learning this hot wax stuff.
I'm not sure if it's where I'm riding most of the time these days but I haven't been able to make a YBN squeal, just get that dry chain buzz after a while.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I'm not sure if it's where I'm riding most of the time these days but I haven't been able to make a YBN squeal, just get that dry chain buzz after a while.
The one on my Deviate was actually starting to make a dull squeak so that's why it got a birthday today, I have got caught riding what should have been dry trails but came across lots of puddles and trapped water on it about 3 times over the last 6 weeks so reckon that's the cause, it also felt very dry with a buzz on the idler.

I run these YBN SLA on all my bikes now and they are usually very good. I only waxed it and a chain off one of the boys bikes, all others still are feeling good as they have been used dry.

Trying to get the bike 100% ready for Tassie in 3 weeks. Wanting to get everything serviced and well tested so I don't get any surprises.

Race policy thinking, never change, service or adjust stuff on a bike untested the day before an event or trip :cool:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Just some little stuff.

Got a rear brake mount adaptor for Project Phoenix in readiness for the imminent arrival of calipers. Found three F160/R140 mounts in my box of shit, but no R160s. I know the bike is meant to be a race-ready XC weapon, but riding around Red Hill I don't want to completely under-brake the bike, so it's getting 160 on the back like the others. :p

Also got a shorter (but at 80mm still long by modern trends) stem for #2 to better suit its new, wider handlebar. When the bike got pressed back into action it still had its old 600mm bar on, and first ride back after being on 680mm on ex-#1 for a fair while I was a bit "how the fuck did I ride that before?!". I put on a 710mm bar, but kept its old 100mm stem for the time being, and not too surprisingly the handling has been a bit bleurgh - not how a 26" race-oriented bike should feel. It's also a bit of a test bed for setup, because Project Phoenix/New #1 will ultimately end up with the same cockpit, and I want to get it right before committing $Lots on the bits!

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I seem to have made a name for myself at my son's school as "the crazy bike lady". I found a bike on hard rubbish a while ago, fixed it up and offered it around at school but there were no takers (or nobody was asked by the staff member I asked for assistance in the quest). We now have traction for a bike library program headed by a friend of mine and the vice principal. To say I'm stoked is an understatement.

Got out for a little fresh air this morning and found another kids bike on hard rubbish. While I was looking at it, the kids who lived there came out so we had a chat and I checked if it was ok to grab. They said go for it. So I took it home, then cracked on with giving it a service in the arvo. My toddler was trying to help by bringing me slater bugs and calling them all Christian.

So now I have two bikes for the school bike library, though this latest one still needs 2 new tyres and a tube.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I seem to have made a name for myself at my son's school as "the crazy bike lady". I found a bike on hard rubbish a while ago, fixed it up and offered it around at school but there were no takers (or nobody was asked by the staff member I asked for assistance in the quest). We now have traction for a bike library program headed by a friend of mine and the vice principal. To say I'm stoked is an understatement.

Got out for a little fresh air this morning and found another kids bike on hard rubbish. While I was looking at it, the kids who lived there came out so we had a chat and I checked if it was ok to grab. They said go for it. So I took it home, then cracked on with giving it a service in the arvo. My toddler was trying to help by bringing me slater bugs and calling them all Christian.

So now I have two bikes for the school bike library, though this latest one still needs 2 new tyres and a tube.
I came from what you’d call an extremely ‘underprivileged’ background. Things like a bike for Xmas was a loooooong way down the list of what could be afforded or even considered. Not sure how it came about but one day when I was about 6/7 a black BMX appeared in the lounge room through some program or other. That day changed my life. That bike which was cobbled together from bits much like your bikes you put together gave me freedom to explore, freedom to escape for a short time from a shitty home life, adventure, confidence and a lifelong love of bicycles I’ve now passed onto my own kid. That was one of the best days of my life getting that old beat up BMX. loved it to death. I remember trading something for some old yellow ‘tuff’ front wheel. So I had a hideous yellow plastic wheel on front and spokes on rear. Looked horrible but to me it was beyond awesome.
Anyways what you are doing for kids in need is amazing. I doff my my hat to you lady.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I came from what you’d call an extremely ‘underprivileged’ background. Things like a bike for Xmas was a loooooong way down the list of what could be afforded or even considered. Not sure how it came about but one day when I was about 6/7 a black BMX appeared in the lounge room through some program or other. That day changed my life. That bike which was cobbled together from bits much like your bikes you put together gave me freedom to explore, freedom to escape for a short time from a shitty home life, adventure, confidence and a lifelong love of bicycles I’ve now passed onto my own kid. That was one of the best days of my life getting that old beat up BMX. loved it to death. I remember trading something for some old yellow ‘tuff’ front wheel. So I had a hideous yellow plastic wheel on front and spokes on rear. Looked horrible but to me it was beyond awesome.
Anyways what you are doing for kids in need is amazing. I doff my my hat to you lady.
Thanks for sharing @Jpez , this is exactly where these bikes need to go. I know there are plenty of kids at my son's school who don't have much and a bike might just make the difference in attendance/attitude/independence.
I think I had the same bike from about 8 years of age until 14, when Mum and Dad got my sister and I "new" second hand bikes from Bicycle Recycle in Moorabbin. I mean, to be fair, I think I stopped growing at 10 so it's not such a big deal really, hahahahaha!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
The one on my Deviate was actually starting to make a dull squeak so that's why it got a birthday today, I have got caught riding what should have been dry trails but came across lots of puddles and trapped water on it about 3 times over the last 6 weeks so reckon that's the cause, it also felt very dry with a buzz on the idler.

I run these YBN SLA on all my bikes now and they are usually very good. I only waxed it and a chain off one of the boys bikes, all others still are feeling good as they have been used dry.

Trying to get the bike 100% ready for Tassie in 3 weeks. Wanting to get everything serviced and well tested so I don't get any surprises.

Race policy thinking, never change, service or adjust stuff on a bike untested the day before an event or trip :cool:
I agree it's the water. I really only get away with wax because its normally dry as a dead dingo around here.

I thought the three of you would have been in Melrose this weekend? Ex-VC says people were asking.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I agree it's the water. I really only get away with wax because its normally dry as a dead dingo around here.

I thought the three of you would have been in Melrose this weekend? Ex-VC says people were asking.
Definitely the water !

I'm just back from Ireland last Sunday and had work this weekend, reckon last night was the first night I got a proper nights sleep.

Been a shift work for 30yrs and flip from day to nights, nights to days off without batting an eyelid, fly me back across 12 time zones and I'm fucked for a week.

Got 2 nightshifts and a training day to do next week, will head up Thursday afternoon or Friday morning :cool:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Definitely the water !

I'm just back from Ireland last Sunday and had work this weekend, reckon last night was the first night I got a proper nights sleep.

Been a shift work for 30yrs and flip from day to nights, nights to days off without batting an eyelid, fly me back across 12 time zones and I'm fucked for a week.

Got 2 nightshifts and a training day to do next week, will head up Thursday afternoon or Friday morning :cool:
Fair call.

Ex-VC had a slightly better Melrose experience, only mildly stacking on Dualing Banjos on Saturday, breaking his bottle cage.

Had a better day at Willowie today, but managed to lose his bottle halfway through. Someone picked it up and brought it to the finish for him, but it's missing the bite valve.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I now have 1 working rear brake over both bikes!

Gave the hardtail a bit of a mash up rear brake this evening. Shimano XT M785 lever, Uberbike hose, SLX 4 pot m7120 caliper, Ztto semi metallic pads (4 sets for $7!) and formula 203mm rotor!

I jammed the ispec 2 dropper lever mount into the ispec b lever as well!

It seemed to bed in quick, not a peep out of it on a street test about 5 times up and down the road, and good power.

orca-image-1461737212.jpeg