What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
He speaks wise words indeed @The Reverend

Bought a Spitty last Sunday, rode it today. O!M!F!G! And I thought the Rune was as good as it gets.... She still has a solid place mind you but the Spitty will be my go to bike most of the time, I can feel it in my bones.
Have to admit, I was a little jealous of the Spitty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haha. I'm impressed it lasted the day without falling to bits. I think that's more on the properties of carbon rather than the brand.

But, I am getting sick of replacing broken carbon wheels. In this instance it would've been broken regardless of the material. It was a huge hit.

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
Seems DHL are keen around these parts, delivered today!

Nice old Pike 454, these will do nicely.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haha. I'm impressed it lasted the day without falling to bits. I think that's more on the properties of carbon rather than the brand.

But, I am getting sick of replacing broken carbon wheels. In this instance it would've been broken regardless of the material. It was a huge hit.
Were you running any kind of insert, like Cushcore? From the sounds of it, only not being there would have saved it. And yes, as much as I like carbon fibre bikes and bits. I'm a little over checking them for cracks. All things break eventually though so nothing is 100% unbreakable.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rear has cushcore but I didn't do the front because "I've never wrecked a front wheel". That'll teach me .

But yes, everything breaks. I'm not the heaviest rider (72kg) but somehow I've managed to crack/break 3 rims in 3 years now, two this year alone

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Had a nice couple of laps out at Forrest today (Yaugher trailhead) with The Boy. Took the 29er out there to see how it would go. I'd only ever ridden the Sight out there before. I don't know what I was thinking with that; the 29er is much better on the climbs, and still with enough travel (120 f/r) to handle what I needed it to handle.
forrest29.jpg

Z

Zaf

Raced at Harcourt this morning, smashed my front wheel over a blind A-line on the first lap. Didn't stop because it was holding air. Proceeded to full gas it for the remaining 5 laps (setting a Strava time 35/1000 riders), little did I realise I probably should've called it because what I saw when I finished the race didn't look good
Good luck with the warranty process mate!
Nice effort as well, at least the equipment failure was offset with some solid bragging rights.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Raced at Harcourt this morning, smashed my front wheel over a blind A-line on the first lap. Didn't stop because it was holding air. Proceeded to full gas it for the remaining 5 laps (setting a Strava time 35/1000 riders), little did I realise I probably should've called it because what I saw when I finished the race didn't look good
Just curious, i’ve recently new got carbon rims, was the hit on one of the black trails? You didn’t go otbs?

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good luck with the warranty process mate!
Nice effort as well, at least the equipment failure was offset with some solid bragging rights.
The wife didn't share my enthusiasm regarding DH bragging rights

On a similar topic. Has anyone got any first hand experience with the Stan's Neo hubs? Thinking of picking up the Valour wheelset since I never go wider than 2.25" tyres for XC races. A search over on mtbr is mixed

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just curious, i’ve recently new got carbon rims, was the hit on one of the black trails? You didn’t go otbs?
It was a blue trail (trail 6 at Harcourt). Didn't OTB but that was out of sheer luck than skill I think. I just kept on pushing because I was racing. Don't fear breaking carbon, it's super strong and you can use my crash as evidence. I raced hard for another 50 mins after that (5 more loops) and it felt fine, didn't even know the extent of the damage until after the race.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New carbon rims? If you've not gone for some sort of insert then I recommend it. They're really strong but all it takes is the wrong rock, hit at a particular speed + tyre pressure and you'll curse your luck. The Cushcore / Huck Norris / Ghetto fix (choose your option) will make a difference. "An ounce of prevention...." as the saying goes.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New carbon rims? If you've not gone for some sort of insert then I recommend it. They're really strong but all it takes is the wrong rock, hit at a particular speed + tyre pressure and you'll curse your luck. The Cushcore / Huck Norris / Ghetto fix (choose your option) will make a difference. "An ounce of prevention...." as the saying goes.
Yeah been thinking about, only dinged an alloy rim once when I had too low psi.. Maybe it’s just been luck.. I tend to go for the smoothest line and don’t huck into messy stuff because I don’t want to wreck my gear..But I am more wreckless now than ever before..
Need new tyres so maybe huck norris will be the go. Spent a lot for light weight wheels and can’t bring myself to putting in a crush core..