What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Switch

huskier headed gent
With work and kids my what did I do is over weeks not days.
Built up a new family wagon using a Brand X frame. Swapped over a heap of random parts and it does the job nicely as I needed a bit of extra reach to fit the little guy up the front. For the $150 delivered I paid for the frame I am really happy with it. Really noticeable when the little one on the back stops peddling up the hills though now I am carrying both of them but they love getting out and about.
IMG_0124.JPG
For my fun getting out and about I installed a new (second hand) Cane Creek DB air CS on the Nomad and took it for a spin in Bright, loving the shock just need to get it dialed in. A Shock Wiz could be very handy right about now.

IMG_0101.JPG

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was that bloke.

Seems an olive green rune stands out....

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
It’s killing me. I want that Rune.

If it was a large I would have been attempting to initiate a swap for the Nomad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
It’s killing me. I want that Rune.

If it was a large I would have been attempting to initiate a swap for the Nomad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Lol.

Rune stays. Although that nomad is pretty.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Bought the gf a 2019 Talon 2.

Should provide a decent introduction into basic riding and light trails for the time being. She hasn't really ridden much since she was a kid (35 now), but definitely keen to get stuck into it!

Not a bad little bike for $999...

Comes with Ardent front and rear set up tubeless which is awesome for a bike at this price point. Internal cable routing, hydro disc brakes, shadow+ derailleur.

Just had to hacksaw a few inches off the seat post so the bottle cage bolts didn't interfere with getting the seat at her preferred height.

Moved the brakes and shifters inward a little, tilted the seat nose down a touch so she doesn't get a clit-callous (her words, haha) and will replace the shitty cage pedals this week with some vibrant green BBB Coolride flats (get 'em cheap at work) to match the paintwork.

She's pretty pumped!

Wouldn't mind swapping the fork out for a nice-ish air fork, but can't tell if the head tube can accommodate a tapered fork by changing the headset or not. It looks bigger than 1-1/8 but not quite up to 1.5?

Fuck knows. At any rate, suggested replacements for an alright air fork with appropriate steerer, anyone?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Bike24 seem to have the best range and prices on spokes and nipples.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Thanks, do they still put them in the big thin boxes and hope for the best ?

I wish our dollar would just go up so that the conversion rate wasn't so low against buying overseas.

Last edited:

PJO

in me vL comy
Bought the gf a 2019 Talon 2.

Should provide a decent introduction into basic riding and light trails for the time being. She hasn't really ridden much since she was a kid (35 now), but definitely keen to get stuck into it!

Wouldn't mind swapping the fork out for a nice-ish air fork, but can't tell if the head tube can accommodate a tapered fork by changing the headset or not. It looks bigger than 1-1/8 but not quite up to 1.5?

Fuck knows. At any rate, suggested replacements for an alright air fork with appropriate steerer, anyone?
Next upgrade needs to be a dropper post!
Looks like a straight steerer fork on that model (1 1/8"). Reckon the bottom headset is a press in cup, it will be a 44mm ID head tube so ZS44 / 30 cup so you would just need to get an external (EC44 /40) cup to run a tapered fork.

EDIT: might also be ZS49 but older Giants used to use 44mm head tubes in the past so don't see why this would change...

Last edited:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Next upgrade needs to be a dropper post!
Looks like a straight steerer fork on that model (1 1/8"). Reckon the bottom headset is a press in cup, it will be a 44mm ID head tube so ZS44 / 30 cup so you would just need to get an external (EC44 /40) cup to run a tapered fork.

EDIT: might also be ZS49 but older Giants used to use 44mm head tubes in the past so don't see why this would change...
Yeah I read of people using external Cane Creek bottom cups on older models but was unsure if they'd changed anything for the newer frames.

I'd be happy with a straight steerer as long as it's a decent 120mm air fork w/32mm stanchions. Anything has to be better than that heavy ass Suntour coil shit box.

Dropper is on the list!

PJO

in me vL comy
I'd be happy with a straight steerer as long as it's a decent 120mm air fork w/32mm stanchions. Anything has to be better than that heavy ass Suntour coil shit box.
Harder to find a straight steerer 27.5 fork these days. Reckon something like this and an external bottom cup could be a reasonable next step:
https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/x-fusion-rc32-mountain-bike-cross-country-trail-fo/FK-RC32-275

Anything better will come with 15 thru axle so a new front wheel or at least hub would be required as well, and then it all begins to snowball...

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Thanks, do they still put them in the big thin boxes and hope for the best ?

I wish our dollar would just go up so that the conversion rate wasn't so low against buying overseas.
If you need some spokes I'm about to put a big Bike24 order in, so PM me.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Woke up this morning and it was teeming down, figures my normal Sunday ride would be off the cards so went indoor climbing with the fam. 5pm and the sun was shining so geared up and went bush. There was so much water out there though so I embraced it, got muddy and tried my best to blend in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very close to my Sunday also. Family duties, followed by a fun slop-fest. Although my bike hides the dirt better, especially in silhouette!
IMG_3487.jpg

Flow-Rider

Burner
If you need some spokes I'm about to put a big Bike24 order in, so PM me.

Thanks for the offer oddjob, I've already ordered sapims from Bikehub, just curious for future reference as I like using DT Swiss were I can.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Thanks for the offer oddjob, I've already ordered sapims from Bikehub, just curious for future reference as I like using DT Swiss were I can.
I usually order spokes and nipples as part of a larger order so the packing tends to be better.

Funnily enough I like DT spokes but find the nipples are not as good as Sapim. The tolerances can be a bit loose and the brass can be a bit soft.

Also pro-lock is the work of the devil. I've been experimenting with Lanotec and really dig it as a spoke lube. It goes on wet but dries out to a nice viscous grease.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I usually order spokes and nipples as part of a larger order so the packing tends to be better.

Funnily enough I like DT spokes but find the nipples are not as good as Sapim. The tolerances can be a bit loose and the brass can be a bit soft.

Also pro-lock is the work of the devil. I've been experimenting with Lanotec and really dig it as a spoke lube. It goes on wet but dries out to a nice viscous grease.

I normally buy the 14mm brass nipples, a lot easier than to deal with 12mm. The Unior Spoke Key 3.3mm (wing nut type) works well on the dt swiss nipples I've found and you can always throw a tyre & tube on for the last bit of tension and deflate it to check the tension.