What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Found out late last night that I could infact make it to Harcourt so I went back out to the shed, got everything packed and headed off this morning after the kids went to school.

Rode pretty much every trail to test how the 100/100mm Turner does with a bit of everything. Highlight was probably clearing the really tight uphill switchbacks with rock armouring on track 7. I think it's the first time I've done that without a dab and the steep front end really helped there. Had a big case on 2 where I thought I'd busted a rim but it looks just fine. Oh and 8 was a little crazy on an XC bike. Not afraid to admit I B-lined pretty much everything that could be on that trail

Definitely have more fun on the Primer here but it was fun to do a fast run on a race bike.

Nice :) Similar ride to me! Cased on no 2, cleared the armoured switchbacks on 7 for the first time and B lined everything on 8 :)

And had some beer at shedshaker later on.

Haakon

Today I watched it bounce about on the bike rack for another 8 hours, just put it back in my shed in Canberra now...

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice :) Similar ride to me! Cased on no 2, cleared the armoured switchbacks on 7 for the first time and B lined everything on 8 :)

And had some beer at shedshaker later on.
I missed the beer unfortunately since I had to be home by tea so the wife could make it to the gym (2.5hr drive between home and Harcourt). But I am currently enjoying a Balter IPA from the comfort of my couch

Haakon

Also yesterday at Harcourt bumped into a nice guy in the process of doing a review for Singletrack. So keep an eye out for review photos from Harcourt :)

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode it under lights tonight for the first time in 3 years. A lot of fiddling to get beams etc correct but did a solid hour. Only company was a wombat. Forgot how surreal the bush is in the dark. Got a lot to relearn about riding at night to get my speeds up.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shedshaker brewery in Castlemaine is worth a visit too if you're staying around the area. Only a 10 min drive down the road. Last time I stayed they had a Rye IPA that was delicious.
I was up that way last week & probably should have made the effort to get to Harcourt but had fun getting loose around the Baco trails. Shedshaker is good but the Bridge pub is my go to in Castlemaine, good feed too.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I missed the beer unfortunately since I had to be home by tea so the wife could make it to the gym (2.5hr drive between home and Harcourt). But I am currently enjoying a Balter IPA from the comfort of my couch
You are the mainest of dudes... you rode 2.5 hrs of serious climbs and then drove for another 2.5 hrs... before you had a beer. Pharck, I would have been doing a traveller at 2.75 hrs for sure.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was up that way last week & probably should have made the effort to get to Harcourt but had fun getting loose around the Baco trails. Shedshaker is good but the Bridge pub is my go to in Castlemaine, good feed too.
Ooh yeah thats a good pub too. Tons of great atmosphere plus craft on tap

You are the mainest of dudes... you rode 2.5 hrs of serious climbs and then drove for another 2.5 hrs... before you had a beer. Pharck, I would have been doing a traveller at 2.75 hrs for sure.

Thought about it, grabbed a ham cheese toastie and a coffee for the road. But beer was well earned by the time I got tea cooked and kids into bed.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Waiting for a parcel from ze germans, with some Zee calipers in. I use the Parcel Collect service and order stuff when I'm away at work so it will be waiting for me when I get back. But tracking info stopped when it got to Oz over a week ago so yesty I went to the PO to see if it was there yet or if they could unearth some info. Bingo it's here !

Installed them last night, had a bit of a moment when I hadn't realised the OEM SLX brakes don't have BH90 hose, shortened the front one and it leaked at the lever. I'd bought 10 sets of olive and barb for BH90 hose in a previous order because I hadn't seen them in our local stores. Stole the hose from my hardtail's XT brakes, the rear one is still the "Shimano High Power" type but I didn't feel like rooting around with changing it by then. A quick bed in on the road at 11pm and they're feeling pretty good but need some more, using the stock resin pads first, but have some metallic and some Shimano H03, a supposedly more better resin pad which I'll try out.

I had intended to swap the XT levers on to the Trek but thought no I'll leave the original ones on in case I stack it in the WAGE round this weekend so instead of XTZ brakes it's got SLX-Zee. I like the tool less brake lever adjustment, which the Zee levers don't have. Didn't use the split pin pad retainer, but pinched the screw in one from the SLX calipers I took off the bike. The only other thing I want to change is the seat post, it's 125mm (18.5 frame size) and a 150mm One-Up would fit. At the moment I lower the whole post about 30mm for riding at Linga Longa, don't need full pedal height there.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Knocked out a mostly easy 35km this morning around the National park and back along the beach. Except I rode 5km on the beach as it was pretty much low tide. I know why I have the Muru! Perfect weather. Was nearly cleaned up by an errant skippy who sadly plunged past me intonthe side of a ute going the other way. Sickening sound from right beside it. RIP though therevare 67,987,310 others here.

And I was admonished by acouple of OAPs for not ringing my bell as I came up behind them. I was 10m back and giving them a wide berth on the grass because past experience is that the bell only works if you yell loudly at them too. Anyway I explained that I dropped the bike and the bell no longer works but only one of those was true.

Update: I fixed the bell, just needed a tweak on the crank arm!

Last edited:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Installed them last night, had a bit of a moment when I hadn't realised the OEM SLX brakes don't have BH90 hose, shortened the front one and it leaked at the lever. I'd bought 10 sets of olive and barb for BH90 hose in a previous order because I hadn't seen them in our local stores. Stole the hose from my hardtail's XT brakes, the rear one is still the "Shimano High Power" type but I didn't feel like rooting around with changing it by then. A quick bed in on the road at 11pm and they're feeling pretty good but need some more, using the stock resin pads first, but have some metallic and some Shimano H03, a supposedly more better resin pad which I'll try out.

I had intended to swap the XT levers on to the Trek but thought no I'll leave the original ones on in case I stack it in the WAGE round this weekend so instead of XTZ brakes it's got SLX-Zee. I like the tool less brake lever adjustment, which the Zee levers don't have. Didn't use the split pin pad retainer, but pinched the screw in one from the SLX calipers I took off the bike.
The M8640 as I call mine, are good! I've got everything set up with the Ispec II of the XT levers and it works well.

For brake pads, have a look at the Uberbike Race Matrix pads. Quiet, cool and long lasting and probably most importantly, great feel and power. They fairly regularly have 20ish % off sale as well, so might as well throw in some Radiator rotors while you're there too.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haha. Its a trap for new players for sure since it looks like the trail is about to descend, so you go up a few gears only to go around a sweeping right hander and point straight up. Gotta be ready for it!

Haakon

Haha. Its a trap for new players for sure since it looks like the trail is about to descend, so you go up a few gears only to go around a sweeping right hander and point straight up. Gotta be ready for it!
Or be willing to do nasty things to your cassette and shift up a bunch under load...