What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Jpez

Down on the left!
Thought I spotted the GG there, hope you and bike are well. Briefly saw @wkkie too (sorry for not having a bit more of a chat - I was pondering drivetrain issues!*)

Ripmo was otherwise awesome, definitely figured out the few details that didn't work for me last time round and am a very happy chap right now. Bike loves to charge and just feels confident everywhere.

*Only minor issue I need to look at is derailleur adjustment as it was hopping out of gears a fair bit (was okay on the stand, but evidentally not under load) and got unlucky with a getting a rear brake line chopped on the shuttle trailer which put an end to the day for me. I would've only done another couple of runs so called it a day and will fix it during the week.

@hifiandmtb - no new bike for you mate! :D
Hey mate next time you see the GG come on up and say hi. Always good to meet fellow Burners.
Yeah I’m alright. A few scrapes but all good.
Shame about the brake line on the shuttle trailer! Did the driver fumble and snag it?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
The only time I saw you, you just started hauling ass down Cressy and I wasn't going to catch you! :D

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Hey mate next time you see the GG come on up and say hi. Always good to meet fellow Burners.
Yeah I’m alright. A few scrapes but all good.
Shame about the brake line on the shuttle trailer! Did the driver fumble and snag it?
Think they might have dropped a pedal from another bike on it, couple of tiny scratches on the brake caliper and the rubber boot over the hose fitting got cut too. Just unlucky, and I have a spare line so easy fixed. On the positive side, I was lucky I felt it go soft before I really needed it, so had a chance to do bring speed down with the front brake and just roll down the lower section of Cressy. Will say G'day next time!

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
pedalled 1010m of elevation at Macedon, tracks were damp but after a couple runs got into it and it made for some good fun. Probly not the best day to be dialling in new forks but they are in the ballpark.
Rode Macedon for the first time today... it was super wet and slippery but damn it’s good fun. Keen to get out after a drier week when there’s a bit more grip around - some of the steep stuff is proper hairy in the wet aha!

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
-1 degree Works angle headset, 50mm stem (instead of previous 40mm), Aggressor in an Exo casing (instead of DD), and updated 2019 shock in new frame. Easier to weight the front, spins up easier, less nervous in rocks. Feels more lively and us easier to ride basically.

My back is also more flexible now than when I had the previous version, after lots of stretches and a little physio, which has made me comfortable on the longer reach.
Interested on your thoughts about the exo vs DD. My DD is nearing the end of it's life, and I was thinking of making the very same change as you. I'm a lightweight, but I do force quite a bit of oomph through my rear tyre. I don't hit any extreme trails, but still rumble through plenty of pointy rock gardens.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

beeb

Interested on your thoughts about the exo vs DD. My DD is nearing the end of it's life, and I was thinking of making the very same change as you. I'm a lightweight, but I do force quite a bit of oomph through my rear tyre. I don't hit any extreme trails, but still rumble through plenty of pointy rock gardens.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Love the DD Aggressor in 27.5 (good bottom out resistance from the thicker sidewalls), but it just felt so heavy and hard to spin up on the 29er last go round. Exo version in the 29er feels pretty much exactly like the 27.5 DD version oddly enough. I think (hope?) the slightly bigger wheel doesn't hit sharp edges as hard (I certainly sent it full-tilt through some of the better groomed rock-gardens today and it felt fine), and the lighter casing spins up about the same as the 27.5 DD too. Lateral stiffness felt similar between casings, no extra squirm or pingy bouncing like from some of the lighter Exo casings (ie: Rekon) if trying to take them past their element. Initial impressions are good, as long as no side-wall cuts occur it'll stay on for sure.

slowmick

38-39"
Managed to do three quarters of my first run down Cresssy at the Youies Shuttle day this morning before the air can in the rear shock exploded. Went off like a gun, thought i'd popped the rear tyre. Sadly no. Shock has 7 hours work on it after a rebuild. First trip to the youies in three years. Recognised Wkkie's bike (the greeen rotors) and the Gorilla Gravity while walking around taking photos

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Valve cores have been giving grief, tried cleaning them a while ago to no avail. Bought some new ones and have been waiting for an opportunity to swap them out and change a tyre.
Removed a 29x2.5 DHF (exo 3c) and replaced with a 29x2.5 assegai (exo 3c) after waiting for what seems like an age for them to come out. 6 month old stans was looking fine.

New valves went in too.... then remembered my track pump is cactus and had to borrow one to get air before a ride tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wkkie

Managed to do three quarters of my first run down Cresssy at the Youies Shuttle day this morning before the air can in the rear shock exploded. Went off like a gun, thought i'd popped the rear tyre. Sadly no. Shock has 7 hours work on it after a rebuild. First trip to the youies in three years. Recognised Wkkie's bike (the greeen rotors) and the Gorilla Gravity while walking around taking photos
.View attachment 355000View attachment 355001View attachment 355002
That sucks @slowmick, hopefully at least you enjoyed the 3/4 of Cressy, it's a great track.

7 years is a long time between drinks for a Youies trip. At least now you'll have to make another trip back to finish off Cressy. There's a lot of other good trails there too. Make sure you don't leave it another 7 years before your next trip!

slowmick

38-39"
Thanks @wkkie - have been away from the the Youies for 3 years (since my daughter arrived). I didn't even recognise the start of Cressy. Looking forward to getting back out there. I love the place - i just don't have a lot of luck out there. Was really obvious on the first run that most of Lysterfield is not technical riding. :D

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Why'd you decide to get it repainted?

It was a baby blue colour from memory?
Yeah it was (excellent memory!).

The decision to repaint was made because the original powdercoat was so thin that surface rust was becoming an issue on the down tube and on some of the top tube welds. Plus I was never a fan of the colour or the Siren white vinyl adhesives.

It turned that the adhesive on those vinyls had actually etched the steel frame. Quite deeply too. In the right light it is still possible to just see where one of the stickers was despite his efforts to hide the damage.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Yeah it was (excellent memory!).
I remember cause I did consider buying it when you did ! Gorgeous frame lines.

The guy who was selling it had bought it from Siren but (from memory) he had an issue with the split top tube being too wide for his liking so he had it redone by Gripsport. It would have been re-powder coated then with the decals applied I guess.

It's so unique that you'd have to hold onto it forever if it fits you well, then hang it on the shed wall !

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very tidy @silentbutdeadly As a dragstar tragic I’m still waiting for the right Siren or Retrotec to come up. My KHS Fleetwood commuter has served me well since the 90s but if I’m ever going to ride a bike anywhere other than bitumen it’s not going to be alloy and rigid.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Rode Macedon for the first time today... it was super wet and slippery but damn it’s good fun. Keen to get out after a drier week when there’s a bit more grip around - some of the steep stuff is proper hairy in the wet aha!
not sure if it rained saturday night, but it was about as dry as it gets this time of year...hopefully the log trucks keep away and its still there for a while, i heard it was supposed to get logged last season so not sure how much longer it'll be around.

Jpez

Down on the left!
The only time I saw you, you just started hauling ass down Cressy and I wasn't going to catch you! :D
Haha! I actually saw you too. Noticed the green rotors first actually. Saw you come into the village but I was stuffing my face with a sausage and when I turned around again you were back on the bus.

wkkie

Haha! I actually saw you too. Noticed the green rotors first actually. Saw you come into the village but I was stuffing my face with a sausage and when I turned around again you were back on the bus.
Yep, the sausages went down a treat!

Maybe I should have ordered more green rotors instead of the silver. They seem to be eye catching... :)

beeb

Yep, the sausages went down a treat!

Maybe I should have ordered more green rotors instead of the silver. They seem to be eye catching... :)
The new frame will probably be distinct enough. ;)

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I remember cause I did consider buying it when you did ! Gorgeous frame lines.

The guy who was selling it had bought it from Siren but (from memory) he had an issue with the split top tube being too wide for his liking so he had it redone by Gripsport. It would have been re-powder coated then with the decals applied I guess.

It's so unique that you'd have to hold onto it forever if it fits you well, then hang it on the shed wall !
That's interesting. I actually found a pre-delivery photo of the frame from Siren a few years ago and it was exactly the same as the way I bought it. I was told that due to a hand injury he needed to choose between his two marathon XC bikes and he prefered the Lynskey.

Modified or not... it's not too wide for me. And fits me perfectly. Otherwise, I wouldn't have spent more than the frame is probably worth getting it refinished!!

It's not like it can be replaced these days now that Siren has finished up.