What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Crashed it... ha ha, laugh. Well Sue did anyway, a lot. Doing some new to us local stuff up the hill. Thought I could muscle through some shrubbery, but no, a vine grabbed the right side of the bar, and a super slow mo fall to the left low side ensued. Luckily lots of sprongy soft planty goodness saved the day. But I was still clipped in, pretty much upside down and being laughed at a lot, so extricating myself without doing major knee damage was tricky. Unclipping and getting vertical were mutually exclusive. Anyway, I got the last laugh. Back in the car on the way home, I was driving, and thought I had a spider on my leg, so swiped it, I thought all good. Later, I realise its a leech and is now chumping on one of my fingers. Pull over to get rid of it and Sue is freaking out, she hates them. It was funny.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Front hub feels rough as guts so trying to service for the first time. Do i need to tap out the axle or can i degrease, re-grease the bearings whilst still in the hub?

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Got out for a pre-rain ride, at a remarkably quiet O'halloran Hill. Came across about half a dozen walkers, none of whom were on trails they shouldn't be on, all of whom exchanged happy pleasantries as I passed. Saw two other riders, one on an old Spesh with adjustable travel Pikes and tiny little Moorey sized wheels. Took him for a tour out the back trails, where he'd never been. Finished just as the rain came down.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@BT180

Are the bearings on a race or each loose?

Of the grease isn't filthy you could probably just force a fresh top up into the space and work it in.

BT180

Max Pfaff
@BT180

Are the bearings on a race or each loose?

Of the grease isn't filthy you could probably just force a fresh top up into the space and work it in.
They’re on a race. I left the axle in, cleaned as best I could with WD40 (all I had) and re-packed with grease. It’s heaps better now but still sounds bad and feels a bit grindy. Might just get some new bearings. They’re shitty Formula hubs so an upgrade will be on the cards at some point.

Last edited:

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Recently purchased a well used Giant hardtail in XS 26” wheels for my 8yo son. Over the last few weeks I’ve been slowly amassing parts to upgrade the forks, wheels, brakes and drivetrain and today was build day.

Previous parts:
V-brakes
Non disc wheels shod in a semi
3x7 drivetrain
Hybrid brake/shifter levers
Coil forks with no damping

New parts:
Shimano m445 brakes with 160mm rotors
Disc wheels with Minion DHR
Shimano m780 XT shifter and derailleur with 11-36
Rockshox SID XX dual air 100mm (modded to remove the Xloc hydraulic lockout so they are open damper)

The bike has been completely transformed and the young man loves it. Particularly the new forks which actually have damping. He’s going to love it when we take it to the trails.
Big thanks to my brother Stretch, Moorey and Warwick for the parts.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They’re on a race. I left the axle in, cleaned as best I could with WD40 (all I had) and re-packed with grease. It’s heaps better now but still sounds bad and feels a bit grindy. Might just get some new bearings. They’re shitty Formula hubs so an upgrade will be on the cards at some point.
Those bearings look to be cartridge. Should be able to knock them out and replace them.