What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Simpson Desert Challenge in 2014 and 2015, 5 days with 2 stages a day.

Mutterings of doing it in 2022, just need to get fit and shed 12kg.
Did you do any hot drinking water conditioning too? I heard of one person that didn't do this and quit after the first stage!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Did you do any hot drinking water conditioning too? I heard of one person that didn't do this and quit after the first stage!
You just deal with it.

The drinking water carried in each vehicle for 1 rider and 1 support for 1 week is up to 150L or more.

Morning stage is 80km, you need to have your camelbaks with the water stop convoy for 5am, so you drop 3 x 3L camelbacks in the Red/Yellow/Blue tubs.
You will start at 6am with the minimum 2L in a camelbak, this gets dropped at the 20km mark and the new one lifted.

Red goes to 20km mark
Yellow goes to 40km mark
Blue goes to 60km mark

So the morning stage alone needs 10L of drinking water.... the 50km afternoon stage which can be touching 50° on occasion and always over 40°, you camelbaks are sitting out in plastic tubs baking in the sun, picked up at 15km, 30km and 40km.

We reuse the water not drank in the morning as afternoon water, then what's left over in the afternoon to have a shower tent wash that night.

Your vehicle has to be pretty beefed up too, water at 150L and fuel at 120-150L, there is 300kg alone of liquid. Then all you shit, food, spares, camping gear, 2nd spare wheel/tyre for the vehicle and the rest.

They say actually getting yourself to Purni-Bore for the start is 50% of the race.

mtb1611

Seymour
Do you like the stumpy?
Absolutely. Must admit when I first bought it I thought I'd made a MAJOR mistake; having been on a Trance for 7 years, the ride was so vastly different in terms of position, geometry, attributes etc that I really questioned whether or not I'd bought the right bike for me. After a few tweaks and a few rides however its benefits certainly came to the fore. There was certainly an element of having to adjust the way I rode, but now I love it.

I actually posted a thread about it when I first bought the bike, will try and find it.

He hasn't ridden it for two months. Probably not.
He had a dislocated toe......amazing how something as seemingly insignificant as a little toe can impact, well....mobility in every sense!

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Absolutely. Must admit when I first bought it I thought I'd made a MAJOR mistake; having been on a Trance for 7 years, the ride was so vastly different in terms of position, geometry, attributes etc that I really questioned whether or not I'd bought the right bike for me. After a few tweaks and a few rides however its benefits certainly came to the fore. There was certainly an element of having to adjust the way I rode, but now I love it.
Am at this stage (boom boom tish...) with the Orange at present - the Trance was like a second skin, just love it. The whole modern geo thing on the Orange still feels very weird. Bloody fast though!

mtb1611

Seymour
Am at this stage (boom boom tish...) with the Orange at present - the Trance was like a second skin, just love it. The whole modern geo thing on the Orange still feels very weird. Bloody fast though!
Persevere! Despite the Stumpy being full carbon (inc rims) and the Trance all aluminium, the Trance is still a tad lighter. But the Stumpy is a hell of a lot more bike, and once the going gets rough there's no comparison, the Stumpy leaves it for dead. Still got the Trance though; I converted it to 1x 10 a few years back and it's still a great bike so it'll be remaining in the stable.

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Persevere! Despite the Stumpy being full carbon (inc rims) and the Trance all aluminium, the TRance is still a tad ligther. But the Atumpy is a heel of a lot more bike, and once the going gets rough there's no comparison, the Stumpy leaves it for dead. Still got the Trance though; I converted it to 1x 10 a few years back and it's still a great bike so it'll be remaining in the stable.
Mines the other way, carbon Trance with carbon rims and alloy everything on the Orange. About a 1.5-2 kg extra heft in the Orange, feels like more. And lower end suspension (and a less, shall we say "sophisticated" suspension design :p).

But it sure does have some appealing characteristics, feeling unbreakable and unstoppable on silly descents being one!

Minlak

custom titis
Bought an XT cassette.. facepalm

Told myself when I bought this bike I wouldn't upgrade.... (yes, this line should be in the fwits thread)
Unless looking at weight stuff SLX cassette is good value and lasts a bit longer - The upgrade is in the shifter :)

Petero

Likes Dirt
Unless looking at weight stuff SLX cassette is good value and lasts a bit longer - The upgrade is in the shifter :)
I know... I won't spend too much time in the largest two (weaker AL) cogs though unless I decide to upsize chainring. From my understanding that's the only difference.

I went Deore everything with XT shifter - works pretty damn well.
It worked great...

Last edited: