What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I went for a muddy forest ride yesterday morning followed by a family friendly green trails ride in the afternoon.
The afternoon ride was so good that Mr 5 insisted on another ride today.
He had a crack at some of the blue trails at Black Hill with Mr Canary and had a blast.

When we got home everybody pitched in to clean the muddy bikes. Even Mr 5's bike polished up well, despite having months of mud on there from the Mini Muddies race earlier in the year.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Yesterdays ride... and a new tree down at the local, only in the last few days... no big deal, but looking at it, I just don't know how it failed. It's deep in a valley, so can't be ridgeline type winds and it didn't pull its waterlogged roots out of the ground, like the rest of our local carnage. Bizarre, just decided to break off, way up there. I'm no arborist, but the top of the tree looked normal to me.

Bike partially on broken tree...

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Rode the other bike (lightly powered wonderful piece of engineering that cannot be spoken of in a non ebike thread) with another model out of Kenda's range.
The Pinner makes a great rear tyre and rolls well too. So much grip on steep and loose terrain compared to the Helldiver. It's what the Dissector wants to be.
PXL_20210906_231716915.jpg

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Rode the other bike (lightly powered wonderful piece of engineering that cannot be spoken of in a non ebike thread) with another model out of Kenda's range.
The Pinner makes a great rear tyre and rolls well too. So much grip on steep and loose terrain compared to the Helldiver. It's what the Dissector wants to be.
View attachment 379903
Looks a lot like a DHF with unsiped centre knobs. I can see that working well in a range of conditions.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
That sucks big time, good on the kids for having a crack at it tho. A few kids helped yesterday but the majority helped by constantly sending it even whilst we were trying to compact it.
Have you made contact with any of the councillors in the area, I wasn't the main organiser of ours but another dad made contact with the councillors in our ward and got them on side first.
Unfortunately all councils are different, a friend in another suburb had a similar experience to yours. Her kids and others started building some jumps in some bushland next to a park and the council kept shutting it down. In the end the council fenced the area off and put up signs saying there was an asbestos hazard. So she contacted the council as a resident asking what and where the hazard is and they won't give her a straight answer.....
We have way to many Karen's that complain about something that they feel is inappropriate when in reality it has absolutely zero affect on them, we have spoken to the local Mayor and he does have appear to have a sympathetic ear to the kids plight but we feel his hands are tied as the concerned locals are using safety as their main argument tool.

One of the local dads who's a very keen cyclist ( well up in the cycling food chain and also placed pretty well in the Cape Epic) has a place overlooking the park/jumps and he had a chat to the bobcat operator and he said he hated doing it every morning but was only doing his job, but it was his idea to soften all the top soil to give something back to the kids.

The thing that irks is the local dad was complaining for 8 months about a branch of a huge gum in the park hanging over his -and neighbours- yards that he had concerns about...absolutely nothing was done, and sure enough one night the branch comes down and takes out three boundary fences and a few sheds. What's happening now is someone having a whinge and the next morning there's a bloody truck and bobcat making a nuisance of themselves.

BTW, jumps are looking good now and still about the same number of kids involved, no sign of council Mon/Tues:)

Last edited:

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Night ride last night with the boys, really fun with the 11yo gaining more speed. Even pinging a spoke and getting a slow flat couldn't dampen our spirits!

LTIH - I can do most repairs but have never gotten around to spokes/wheel. LBS can't see me until next week. More fool me I guess. Better service the pub bike for light MTB duties.

Decided that I'd better check the eldest's wheel as well, 3 really loose spokes so I did them up (hopefully I did OK). Plus checked the chain and it is due a change.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Some retro bike improvements today

Shinier wheelset thanks to @Labcanary (perfect front, just have to hunt up a matching Araya rear with an 8sp hub)

Lovely xt shifter and cranks thanks to @safreek (the 8sp stuff works well enough with my 7sp cassette, but it'll be nice to get my extra gear)

And got around to matching the brakes with a v brake I think I got from @kip01 (I think them there forks were his too)

Doesn't feel too bad around the backyard so far, I'll have to get it out on the trails to see how frightening the old geo and fork technology is

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

EZZA 84

Likes Bikes
Yesterdays ride... and a new tree down at the local, only in the last few days... no big deal, but looking at it, I just don't know how it failed. It's deep in a valley, so can't be ridgeline type winds and it didn't pull its waterlogged roots out of the ground, like the rest of our local carnage. Bizarre, just decided to break off, way up there. I'm no arborist, but the top of the tree looked normal to me.

Bike partially on broken tree...

View attachment 379877
Have been around that tree a couple of times, looks like a transformer smashed it's way through the area :oops:

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Got out on my roadie again at lunch today for another 25km. Bit quicker than Monday, which I'm happy about although the wind makes a massive difference when you're heading round the river in Perth!
50km for the week already and likely another ~16km on the Prime at the weekend makes this my biggest week in a while.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Went for an impromptu afterwork blat with the Waltly up to @Mattyp's KOM grounds (along our local creek). Rode the "rockiest" section up and back a couple of times, then proceeded to pedal-strike a rock hidden in the grass on the (smooth bit of) trail back out. Controlled the inevitable fairly well and styled it out into my best break-dance pose with my elbow perched on a large trailside rock. Nothing but minor scuffs, and once I realised I wasn't going face-first into previously mentioned rock it was kind of fun in a "Ah, this takes me back..." childhood nostalgia type of way.

And @Jpez - yeah the Waltly definitely doesn't have quite the same snappy acceleration as the Highball. But sooooo comfy by comparison. :p

Last edited: