What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Poor snakey - You rode past so fast it practically jumped out of its skin!
There was a green tree snake on the trail before the snake skin, I was daydreaming along and the brain decided to go into panic mode and I grabbed a heap of front brake then done an endo for about 2 meters and just stopped short of the snake.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, I have been off the bikes for 3 weeks with one to go. My wife had the day off and went to Bruny Island to go walking. So as she was off her bike for at least a day, and I couldn't stand seeing how dirty is was, I thought a bit of maintenance would be good. Especially after riding home in a downpour yesterday.
So I took a few pics along the way.

Cranks

Cassette. The chain was shot and too disgusting to photo. Straight in the bin.

Pulled the rotors off, cleaned wheel and reassemble.

Even pulled rear derailleur apart to clean, checked thickness of rotors.

Washed frame.

Good as new! No rain forecast for weekend, either.

The whole process was quite therapeutic.

It was a slow day at work so the laptop and Pink Floyd kept me company.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Have to be on your toes to ride in QLD. Snakes and toasty weather seems to be volumes there.
If you dared to jump in the water then I'd bet something would try to eat you too.
A lot of people swim in there on the weekends, it hasn't rained enough, and the water has turned green but I think it's from the minerals in the rock. I've seen some fish swimming around in the past but no big angry lizards this far south, luckily.

Flow-Rider

Burner
No where near the density of snakes as Vic (luckily)!
There are heaps of them here, I think you'll find they keep well away from the main traffic trails. I watched a guy from parks pull out about 6 whip snakes from around the base of the water tank on Boundary rd that's halfway from Gap creek and Mt Nebo.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I went for a hike (stop right there) two nights ago with friends and stayed on the trail for about 1/2 an hour too long, dark when I got back to the road. Followed a black slithery thing for about 25m before it went off the trail. Only 1500mm or so long, could have been a brown or a red belly black or a green tree snake or bright pink, it was very dark by then. Will carry a torch in future. Guess it was a red belly because they are very common out here and it was really laid back about me following a few metres back.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Went out to Silvan this morning for a pedal, was pretty tired after the week but was too good a morning not to get out. Did a quick tyre swap before I left - trying out the Scorpion Trail S and R (29x2.4 F/R)

First impressions are good, bit of a weight saving over the Dissector (with insert)/Assegai combo. The S up front is a lot like a DHF but a rounder profile and the side knobs are have a slight zigzag arrangement so a bit less of the vague DHF no-mans-land. The R is closer to a semi slick than I expected, the tread blocks are pretty small.

Still, they roll fast, the casing is pretty stiff so they stand up well, they’ll do a good job as a general duties trail tyre with less drag than pushing the 1200g 2.5” Assegai everywhere.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Cows go boing
So I've been up in the Vic High Country this week as I had a mates long overdue wedding to attend to yesterday and decided to take a week off either side of it. Probably the biggest week of riding for me since an NZ trip 3 years ago.
Legs still feel surprisingly good apart from the usual aches and groans for the first 5mins of climbing. Have ridden at Beechworth, Yack, 3 days in Bright and just pulled into Mount Beauty and did an easy arvo lap for a bit of recovery.
(Edit: the dumb Strava graph is misleading as it only plots against KM not elevation)