What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I just priced a set of 5Dev cranks to replace my carbon jobbies on the ebike but the exchange is so fucked the cranks are $750AUS!! Guess I'll be paranoid for a while yet!
Is it bad to say I thought they'd be more? That's comparable to most carbon stuff and not terrible for something made in the USA.

What about the Hope Evo cranks?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Bet you're running 170 or even 175 cranks to really tease the russian roulette gods!

I just priced a set of 5Dev cranks to replace my carbon jobbies on the ebike but the exchange is so fucked the cranks are $750AUS!! Guess I'll be paranoid for a while yet!
$15k for an e-bike, what's another $750. What about Mirandas?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Bet you're running 170 or even 175 cranks to really tease the russian roulette gods!

Which motor on the e?

Shimano 5Dev in stock at MTB Direct

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
$15k for an e-bike, what's another $750. What about Mirandas?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Money train for parts has entered a dry period….something to do with spending $15k on an ebike!
Too many bent Miranda cranks on line to believe they aren’t made of cheese.

Which motor on the e?

Shimano 5Dev in stock at MTB Direct

Brose (Levo). My Kenevo is no more and Spec replaced it with the full fat.

Is it bad to say I thought they'd be more? That's comparable to most carbon stuff and not terrible for something made in the USA.

What about the Hope Evo cranks?
Yep just looking at those now.

link1896

Mr Greenfield

There has to be plenty of praxis ally crank arms kicking about from those who have upgraded to full carbon. Sworks didn’t get carbon on the gen1 Levo.

Ask on the eMTB forum for ally praxis crank arms I reckon.

5Dev are an awesome bunch, aerospace dudes, main business is “5th axis” with over 100 machines in a San Diego factory, 5Dev is a side gig, clearly $399 USD cranks are competing in a high margin shop for machine time. My mate James with decades of 5 axis machine programming experience puts a 5Dev crank arm at less then 10 mins machine time on a 5 axis machine, 18usd a kg for plate 7075-T651.

It’s not the materials you’re paying for here.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered

kten

There has to be plenty of praxis ally crank arms kicking about from those who have upgraded to full carbon. Sworks didn’t get carbon on the gen1 Levo.

Ask on the eMTB forum for ally praxis crank arms I reckon.

5Dev are an awesome bunch, aerospace dudes, main business is “5th axis” with over 100 machines in a San Diego factory, 5Dev is a side gig, clearly $399 USD cranks are competing in a high margin shop for machine time. My mate James with decades of 5 axis machine programming experience puts a 5Dev crank arm at less then 10 mins machine time on a 5 axis machine, 18usd a kg for plate 7075-T651.

It’s not the materials you’re paying for here.
Praxis alloy is definitely made of cheese ime. I bent two sets of the alloy versions before going to carbon on my Kenevo.

The 5Dev cranks are fantastic but the exchange rate makes them unobtainable right now. I have a set on my Madonna bought some time ago for under $500 delivered so that memory is the price I want to pay :) (5Dev are sensational for after sales support/warranty response too btw)

kten

Anyone mess around with their Q-factor? I can get Hope standard offset cranks which increase the Q-factor from 182 to 200....will it feel weird and/or will it even be noticeable?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
182 to 200....will it feel weird and/or will it even be noticeable?
You won't really notice it at that width.

Years ago when I was nearly full time fatbike, the q factor was 220-230, I came off that bike after the 2015 Simpson race and hung the bike up.
Next thing I'm riding roadies at <150mm and a XC race bike around 166mm.
After 3 years on a fatbike I was having issues with my foot and knee as I was 'clawing' at the left pedal and crushing metatarsal bones, my pedalling style looking for 230mm width but only getting 150mm. That 40mm per side was a massive jump.

I still get that on a narrow q bike but with modern MTB's getting wider, I've found anything over 175mm works well. If I could pick an ideal q factor for myself on every bike, it would be around 185mm.

TIME pedals also help as they have some 'sideways slide' so I reckon they can vary depending in where you clip in or slide your foot by up to 10mm per side. If I'm out for a long pedal, I'll purposely wiggle my feet out to maximise the Q.