What do you guys use to protect New Cranks from Shoe Rub

Golf Pro

Likes Dirt
Hi All
My nephew has a new set of cranks and wants to protect them from getting scuffed up from shoe rub. Is it fine to use clear contact or do you guys have any ideas of what products from bunning to buy that will do the job.
Thanks again guys for all your help
Golfpro

Golf Pro

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys
Man that was quick, I am sitting at work with my laptop on and thinking I will check back in a few hours LOL
You guys are fast.
Thanks

T-Rex

Template denier
In addition to the above, the other thing that works well is adhesive headlight protector. You can use this to protect the frame as well, and it's barely visible. You get it from auto parts shops, and the motorbike kit has more than enough in it to do a bike.

indica

Serial flasher
I have dunlop tennis grip for my chainstay protector on my Fury - dare say that would work well...
But, I suggest he not ride his bike, it may get dirty or even scratched.

Magura

Likes Dirt
Clear heatshrink, or even some fancy color if that suits your taste better.

Having said that, I'm with the rest of the "who cares for scratches" crowd.

My Raceface cranks were black at some point, and I think they also had a Raceface logo.
Now they are mostly silver colored, and you'd have to know what brand they are to tell.
They still work well, and looks fine to my eyes.

Magura :)

I care, but only on my new bike as it has carbon cranks and its not going to be long till I wear through the clear coat then start wearing down the carbon. I've invested in some crankskins this morning. Now I just hope I don't wear them down to much before they arrive.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
I use this stuff

http://www.oneindustries.com/Detail.aspx?&pl=bikecosmetics&ft=ffffff&sh=900,900&catid=4&id=9170

Expect to pay around $30 in Aus shops. Can get it from most Motorcycle shops. Its really thick and when applied with a Heatgun/Hairdryer moulds great to all the curves of a crank arm and also Frames and sticks like hell. The frame Skin stuff is about 1/3 as thick.

I have it on my Cranks, Fork lowers, Frame, swing arm. the works.

I have it on Carbon Noir crank arms and after a season of racing I just removed it and renewed it for 2011 season. Crank arms look like new. It will even stop most stone chipping on frame down tubes.

I tend to do whatever it takes to keep my gear looking good. It costs Heaps and to abuse it would be to disrespect the effort and sacrifice my family has for my "hobby".

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I leave them in the original packaging, securely placed in the cupboard.
if you want to be really classy, you could use the tyre tube on both cranks, chainstays(on both sides), and on the seatstays.. Hell, while you at it, do the downtube and top tube also !! Maybe cover the tyres too, wouldnt want them to get dirty !

Said in jest ! :rolleyes:

The first scratch is always the hardest to take, It gets easier after that ! :)

mr.dh.guy

Ignore my useless dribble
bro i hav seen a clear plastic people use to protect there stickers from shuttles i havnt got any but can look into it

hennez

Likes Bikes
I use this stuff

http://www.oneindustries.com/Detail.aspx?&pl=bikecosmetics&ft=ffffff&sh=900,900&catid=4&id=9170

Expect to pay around $30 in Aus shops. Can get it from most Motorcycle shops. Its really thick and when applied with a Heatgun/Hairdryer moulds great to all the curves of a crank arm and also Frames and sticks like hell. The frame Skin stuff is about 1/3 as thick.

I have it on my Cranks, Fork lowers, Frame, swing arm. the works.

I have it on Carbon Noir crank arms and after a season of racing I just removed it and renewed it for 2011 season. Crank arms look like new. It will even stop most stone chipping on frame down tubes.

I tend to do whatever it takes to keep my gear looking good. It costs Heaps and to abuse it would be to disrespect the effort and sacrifice my family has for my "hobby".
How many kg's does that add to your bike???

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
How many kg's does that add to your bike???
In all seriousness. I weighed the 2 full sheets I applied to my bike and it comes in a 164Grams.

I will just have to make sure I take a dump before riding to make up for the weight.... ;)