What do your kids ride?

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Well the boy is approx 135cm in height, so I think he is not quite tall enough for a S which is what I would prefer for longevity's sake, so I think I will keep him on his old bike a modify it slightly, whilst keeping my eye out for a good second handy.

I have located a 400mm seat pole for $20, only looking for another 50mm compared to his existing and that will leave 100mm in the frame, at his weight I reckon he should be ok however frame damage from loading it up too much is a valid point, I will make sure we keep an eye on it when we wash the bike.

I like the idea of that megarange cassette, that low gear is what he needs for the steep uphills, happy to do the research on it to determine suitability however if there are any tips or pitfalls to look out for I would appreciate the assistance.

The bike has the twisty grip for the gear changes, this looks like a PIA to me to use, but I guess I am spoilt with my bike. I would like to hear some views on whether I should consider getting a more conventional shifter as I am finding that being able to grab the right gear in an instant can make all the dif.

Sorry for the barrage of questions, hopefully there are other dad's out there that are reading this and may benefit from the knowledge being shared. I think getting out there with your kids is the best way you can fight the advances of the electrickery that steathfully rob us of time and embiggen our waistlines.
The megarange certainly makes a difference but it's not panacea. If hill is too steep, my son still walks it. I actually found a used one for $20 on gumtree. The extra large gear does take up extra chain but I didn't need to add in any links so hopefully you should be fine. You will need a special tool to remove the cassette. Youtube how to remove a bike cassette or get LBS to do it.

There are some very high end twist grips around so don't knock them. My son has trigger shift and his left thumb isn't strong enough yet to operate them, weird. So in his case twist shift, as least for the front derailleur would be better.

If he has disc brakes how about upgrading his fork. That should keep him happy for quite a while. If the stem is 1 1/8", an old cheap 26" air sprung fork will only be around $50. Then just use his 24" wheels. If he's got v-brakes, you'll also need a 26" wheel so the v-brakes line up to the rim. Doable but getting messy.

I think my boy's bike may be on the way out, the cranks ( I guess more accurately the bottom bracket bearing spindle thing) have developed some play in them and it doesn't seem cost effective to swap it out.

Few months to chrissy to find the right thang

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
With the recent arrival of our first child, I've been spinning ideas around in my head about what will be the first bike I get her.

And then the concept of designing and getting a frame made and building the rest came to mind.

Would love to make a blinged out 12" titanium framed balance bike, with a possibility of switching up to 16" before moving onto pedals. Wonder if I could get Darren Baum to weld me up one, considering they did the Bandit BMX frame :)

Last edited:

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
With the recent arrival of our first child, I've been spinning ideas around in my head about what will be the first bike I get her.

And then the concept of designing and getting a frame made and building the rest came to mind.

Would love to make a blinged out 12" titanium framed balance bike, with a possibility of switching up to 16" before moving onto pedals. Wonder if I could get Darren Baum to weld me up one, considering they did the Bandit BMX frame :)
I reckon it'd be better if you tricked out a 12" pedal bike with an option to go to 16". There are plenty of good running bike around but good 12" pedals,,, pppffff, not unless you spend big $$$$. Anyhow, if you get the lil tike on the balance bike early, they'll be pedalling by 2 :)

Dirty Old

Squid
My 2 year old rides a few things
First one is a scuttlebug trike for inside use during the winter
Strider balance bike to get him used to a two wheeled bike
And a cheap 12" huffy from big w

So far they have all been really good for learning on

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
I reckon it'd be better if you tricked out a 12" pedal bike with an option to go to 16". There are plenty of good running bike around but good 12" pedals,,, pppffff, not unless you spend big $$$$. Anyhow, if you get the lil tike on the balance bike early, they'll be pedalling by 2 :)
Spose a 12" pedal bike can still be a balance bike, just remove the crank and chain.

But.

I managed to speak to a local brisbane frame builder on the weekend and he'd been thinking about the same sort of thing for friends of his who are currently pregnant. We discussed materials and wheel sizes and he gave me a couple of suggestions, including going with Stainless for the frame, 1/2 the price of titanium and stronger, also suggested XTR V-Brakes instead of hydros means cheaper hubs and plenty of stopping power. Also QR skewers for the wheels.

I just need to track down some 12" rims, not an easy task, struck out with Velocity, best I can get is a 16".

Big JD

Wheel size expert
my children are useless

I am ashamed of my 6 year as she cant ride a bike. I am ashamed of my parenting skills as I never really tried and now I have missed the boat. No go putting on training wheels- she is too big and they just tip over. She has a bike- should I take off the cranks and chain and make it a balance bike
she prefers scooters and fairies

SummitFever

Eats Squid
You haven't missed the boat at all. Kids can start riding at any time. They'll let you know when they want to ride a bike. Kids that are bit older learn so quick that training wheels are not needed. Take her some where big and flat, put the seat right down and she'll be riding in an arvo. My eldest daugther was about 6 before she wanted to ride. It took her exactly an hour in the local school quadrangle to ditch her training wheels and she's never looked back. The youngest learned to ride much earlier (about 4) and within a couple of days ditched the training wheels but then had months of crazy little crashes.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I am ashamed of my 6 year as she cant ride a bike. I am ashamed of my parenting skills as I never really tried and now I have missed the boat. No go putting on training wheels- she is too big and they just tip over. She has a bike- should I take off the cranks and chain and make it a balance bike
Yes, you've missed the boat, once they hit 5 they are not cute enough to adopt out easily.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Spose a 12" pedal bike can still be a balance bike, just remove the crank and chain.

But.

I managed to speak to a local brisbane frame builder on the weekend and he'd been thinking about the same sort of thing for friends of his who are currently pregnant. We discussed materials and wheel sizes and he gave me a couple of suggestions, including going with Stainless for the frame, 1/2 the price of titanium and stronger, also suggested XTR V-Brakes instead of hydros means cheaper hubs and plenty of stopping power. Also QR skewers for the wheels.

I just need to track down some 12" rims, not an easy task, struck out with Velocity, best I can get is a 16".
If you can lace your own rims then you could migrate the hubs as the kids grow cause the majority of kid's wheels are,,, shall we say crap :) the owner of our LBS has Chris Kings laced to 12" rims for his boy :)

Up until about 2yrs ago I thought that everybody could ride a bike. I have since met 3 people between 35 and 45 that couldn't(never ever learnt), I have taught one of them to ride as well as a couple of older neighbourhood kids and all I did was take the pedals off and lowered the seat. I thought that if the crank arms got in the way, then I'd remove them, but they didn't. Few weeks as a balance bike and then the pedals come back. So easy teaching someone older compared to a 1yr old cause they can follow instructions... Haha

With regards to preferring scooters and fairies,, nothing wrong with that :) they're gonna like what they're gonna like. Our kids can do alot of stuff, but they're not really interested in anything. They'll get on their bikes for about 10 mins, and they've had enough....

scblack

Leucocholic
I have to join your club.:sad:

Eldest, now 8 a demon on the bike from 4yo. Champion!

Youngest now 6 is terrified of getting on a bike for some reason. Loves scooters. Very co-ordinated. Loves Lego. Loves Barbie. She CAN ride without balance wheels, just does not want to.

Whats wrong with her?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I have to join your club.:sad:

Eldest, now 8 a demon on the bike from 4yo. Champion!

Youngest now 6 is terrified of getting on a bike for some reason. Loves scooters. Very co-ordinated. Loves Lego. Loves Barbie. She CAN ride without balance wheels, just does not want to.

Whats wrong with her?
Does she look anything like the milk man? May not be yours. Regardless, best bet is to give up on her and concentrate on the good one.

OIL

Likes Dirt
I HEAR YA - MY DAUGHTER was fine until she tried to take a 90 degree turn at speed with training wheels on 18mths ago - now she's scared shoitless.

maybe i'll just send her down aneurysm or something 'baptism by fire'...

weather is getting better - just got to get her riding somewhere big and flat so she can see that falling off is fine as long as you're 'not afraid to...'

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
JD I have a 12" balance & 16" bike hanging up in the shed she is welcome to until number 2 needs them.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Thanks JD for posting your pathetic tale of the failure to teach your girl to ride.
I thought I was alone in this futile effort.
God bless the fairies.

redbruce

Eats Squid

If you have the money, Darren can do it. But, really, why?