What do your kids ride?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
My boy has a 2018 one, I think the specs are the same - the 2019 colour scheme is awesome though!

It's an amazing little bike. Cannot fault it. He gets full travel from the fork. The only change I made was to put some Wellgo KC008 pedals on (these are the perfect kids pedals).
Brakes are also really good, the levers are nice and close to the bars, he can reach them easily.
What age/size was he when you got it? My daughters 115cm with a 47cm inseam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
When I showed my wife she loved the idea, price was no issue but she balked at the colour of the commencal, could always do a custom decal kit to girly it up (there’s another younger daughter who will end up with it later)

However there’s also this option for about $150 more

30x11-36t 10spd
Sram direct mount rings
Tubeless ready
Tektro hydro brakes
80mm travel
Internal routing for dropper to be added later

About 1kg lighter than the commencal

Last edited:

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What age/size was he when you got it? My daughters 115cm with a 47cm inseam

He's 6, probably around that size?? It's a touch too big for him and I cut off 0.5cm off the seatpost.

I like that the spawn is 10 spd, he has dropped the chain a couple of time despite the NW chainring and a clutch derailleur would help.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Super stoked dad moment - excuse the gushing! But I’m so glad we went down the balance bike no training wheels route.

It’s been a few weeks now since we removed the pedals off the 16” Spawn, my daughter has been doing about 1-2km on it every few days around the neighborhood as a balance bike getting used to the size and brakes.

She asked me yesterday to put the pedals back on with no input from me after we had a fun cruise around the block and down the bush track. So I whacked them back on last night for her.

A few turns up and down our yard this arvo, where she had enough room to fit in max 9 pedals and it was off to the street where she consistently went about 100m before pulling up turning around and starting again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Super stoked dad moment - excuse the gushing! But I’m so glad we went down the balance bike no training wheels route.

It’s been a few weeks now since we removed the pedals off the 16” Spawn, my daughter has been doing about 1-2km on it every few days around the neighborhood as a balance bike getting used to the size and brakes.

She asked me yesterday to put the pedals back on with no input from me after we had a fun cruise around the block and down the bush track. So I whacked them back on last night for her.

A few turns up and down our yard this arvo, where she had enough room to fit in max 9 pedals and it was off to the street where she consistently went about 100m before pulling up turning around and starting again.

Nice.

I made the mistake of giving my kids training wheels but neither of them had any interest in balance bikes (that sat completely unused), so it was either that or no riding at all.

Daughter was 8 before I convinced her to ride without them but pretty much got going straight away.

Son is 5 and just started riding without them after about 3 weeks with pedals off as a balance bike. He wasn't keen but made a game of timing him doing runs down the driveway to get him into it.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
XTC 24 JR1 Giant. But with a Suntour air fork over the crap coil, tekro hydraulic brakes with 160mm rotors, proper trigger shifters and a wider handle bar and DMR pedals. So pretty much just the XTC frame now.... She's just started racing in some of the kiddie races at events we go to. This was the Armidale 10hr..

Attachments

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I’m getting close to making the purchase but it’s such a tough choice between the spawn and the commencal & dropping this much on a kids bike, but at the end of the day I want to get her a rad bike that needs little mods that will last and end up passing on to little sister.

There’s $180 difference after shipping is added in.

Alternative is second hand again but limited market or something like a new specialized riprock 20” at around $600 - less travel, coil fork, 2.8” tyres (no tubeless option) mech disc, 7spd grip shift. Heavier.

Any thoughts?

BT180

Max Pfaff
So my son turns 8 next week and i think I've narrowed it down to two bikes. Don't want to spend a fortune as he's not 'into' it yet. Late starter who's current bike is too small and has training wheels still. :oops:

Thoughts on https://www.99bikes.com.au/norco-charger-24inch-black-green-2019

VS

https://www.specialized.com/au/en/riprock-24/p/154436?color=227564-154436

Love the 2.8s on the Specialized, although the Norco has more travel and hydraulic brakes. Riprock does have a coil spring and preload adjust though.

Have no idea on the weights of these either.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Couple of the kids at the kids dirt crits I run rock these bikes with the huuuuge tyres. Sure, if gives a tiny bit of suspension, and nominal extra grip...but weighs a ton. The young kids really notice all that weight and rolling mass.
My2c

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
My wee fella has just turned 8 and he's getting a Commencal Ramones 24+ for Xmas, No offence but if your son is still on training wheels either of those are over kill and buy the time he's truly mastered riding and ripping he'll have out grown the bike already, and pushing extra weight around in shite suspension for no reason could potentially hinder any further progress and enjoyment, but in saying that, when that switch clicks and they well and truly get after it...have a camera ready 'cause it's ace.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I was looking at those Commencals with the rigid forks and were wishing they had suspension. You reckon they would be a better buy if he's still getting into the swing of things? Just worried he can't sit on one first.

https://www.commencal-store.com.au/ramones-24-burgundy-2019-c2x26304590
That's the one.

I think suspension is overrated on most kids bikes unless the kid in question is an absolute pinner...mine isn't, his bike spends most the time on the Bay Run or the odd fire trail here and there, his little sister on the other hand is showing signs of zero fear and wants to follow me down Narra on her Pink 16" cruiser.

As for the not being able to sit on one prior, they grow that fast it'll fit sooner rather than later.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Cheers mate. I think that's the bike. They look great. Cheaper than the Norco and not too much more than the Riprock. He can get a bike with suspension once he dials his skills - he won't really be hitting up anything too rough anyway.

They say the Ramones is 10.5kgs. Not sure how that compares to other 24" bikes...