What does your day look like?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Did you read the article I posted? That's not always correct.
Yeah, read that at the time. It’s one of many, all with different variations. In short, the real answer is - “it depends...”.

Tricky subject. Best bet is buy efficient and get the full life cycle out of it. But there are exceptions - for example diesel cars were an error and it’s better to scrap them early. Yes the GHG hit will be large, but best to keep the air breathable.

EVs are a similar story. Then there is the safety aspect...

Anyway, it’s a complicated area...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yeah, read that at the time. It’s one of many, all with different variations. In short, the real answer is - “it depends...”.
Then why make sweeping generalising statements like in your initial comment?

The biggest issue I have with "buy a new car as it's more efficient that your old car" is that people don't scrap their old car - they sell it on & make the whole problem worse.

Oh, and moar #carsofloftus

Last edited:

Haakon

Because, as a general rule, newer is better. For the majority of cases and as an aggregate, newer is better. In the normal course of things for the average punter, newer is better.

Selling on and second third etc owners is accounted for. Average vehicle life is “fixed” regardless of how many owners. Turnover of any vehicle type in the fleet still occurs.

Most new car buyers don’t keep the car until it’s worn out, and won’t discard an asset still worth money when buying another new one (which is why VW should have been required to buy all of them back and get the fucking things off the road...).

And for those who buy used, retiring the end of life vehicle and buying a newer but still used still gets you a benefit.

Last edited:

Haakon

^^^ This.

The point seems to be lost on Haakon. "new better new better new better new better".
No, no no... You misunderstand me. Newer cars are overall better for the environment, especially electric ones. I'm just pointing out there are a few asterisks on that statement... But at the end of the day you have to view these things at a high level, and the basic advice that will work most of the time and generate high level gains is "when you need to buy a car, buy as new as you can".

...but all of that is irrelevant when less people is what is actually needed.
Fixed it for you.

But yes, totally agree - mass transit is an obvious and basic necessity. There was a push in canberra to not install trams because self driving cars would solve everything.. So annoying, so short sighted.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The only newer that will reduce these issues is newer thinking.

How does it compare to continue using an existing car (for example the Daihatsu Charade I mentioned earlier - I think it was a 1992 model and had driven from Sydney to Adelaide or something on fuck all fuel. Ummmm let's use a newer car anyway) say 15 years old versus a new car, which may in itself be more efficient but needs I out resources, manufacturing, shipping, and so on?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Hopefully the new car/old car debate goes away soon and we move on to better technologies to try and adapt to the consequences of our fuckups.

This article might be a bit fantastical, but I'm hopeful of the underlying disruption. The fact that nearly all cars spend most of their lives PARKED highlights a highly inefficient use of resources. All you petrol heads could get back to riding more bikes.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/no-one-will-own-a-car-in-the-future-2017-5?r=US&IR=T

• Private car ownership will drop 80% by 2030 in the US
  • The number of passenger vehicles on American roads will go from 247 million in 2020 to 44 million in 2030
  • Using electric ride-shares will be four to 10 times cheaper per mile than buying a new car by 2021 (And each family could save up to $US5,600 per year, compared to purchasing and maintaining a traditional vehicle)
  • Global oil demand will peak at 100 million barrels per day by 2020, and decrease to 70 million barrels per day by 2030
  • Savings on transportation costs will result in a boost in annual disposable income for US households totaling $US1 trillion by 2030

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
It's nuts. One of my neighbours has five (5) cars for two people. Another good mate has four cars for a four-person household & they live in the inner city.

We need to reduce, pool & consider other options.

Haakon

I miss living in Melbourne for a whole bunch of reasons, but living in Flemington and working in the CBD was awesome for not needing a car. I did keep one for those occasional errands or going to the country to visit the olds, but could have ditched it and signed up to a car share scheme for sure. Used to average about 5000kms a year.

But in the outer burbs this is less practical... Another reason Labour killed it on Saturday - they are talking about putting in more basic public transport infrastructure rather than just adding more (narrower...) lanes to Shittylink.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
But in the outer burbs this is less practical....
And in the (properly) regional areas it's crazy talk.

Riding is my life and having my own car would only make one day a week slightly more convenient. But if you ask anyone around I'm a superhero just for climbing on my bike after work, let alone riding a whole 15km

Binaural

Eats Squid
I miss living in Melbourne for a whole bunch of reasons, but living in Flemington and working in the CBD was awesome for not needing a car. I did keep one for those occasional errands or going to the country to visit the olds, but could have ditched it and signed up to a car share scheme for sure. Used to average about 5000kms a year.

But in the outer burbs this is less practical... Another reason Labour killed it on Saturday - they are talking about putting in more basic public transport infrastructure rather than just adding more (narrower...) lanes to Shittylink.
I ride to work everyday that I can. My commute is shorter than it's been but I made it work in the outer suburbs for years. There are certain axes of Sydney that are much more bike friendly than others though.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Getting calls every few days from India scammers from 'Telstra'. It is really amusing to string them along for a while and waste time. I usually tell them upfront to disconnect our internet straight away.

The lady did not know what to say today once she asked 'How many devices I have connected to our internet'.
I replied 'About 28 right now and 7 are just for pr0n since I'm am really, really into Hindu pr0n now'........ Errrrr..........

And in the (properly) regional areas it's crazy talk.

Riding is my life and having my own car would only make one day a week slightly more convenient. But if you ask anyone around I'm a superhero just for climbing on my bike after work, let alone riding a whole 15km
I could easily ride to and from work, alas there are no shower facilities at my work.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I work in an industry with minimal customer contact so it doesn't matter too much. The only place where it did is also the only place I've worked that had shower facilities with the bonus of only me using them :)

my landcruiser has been on LPG for the past 15 years or so, should have done the part time 4wd conversion, still might considering the car has to last me another 10 years

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Spent the afternoon trying on snow board boots. Australian retail...we just don't do customer service. 4 shops, chasing specific items from their range and not interested in anything else, well informed about the items I want to try and in each of the shops specifically for those items...1 shop assistant was on fire and has thus secured the sale when the correct size comes in.