What does your day look like?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Because fossil fuel interests own the politicians. This is no exaggeration.

And us citizens do almost nothing about it.
People that hold resistance against it here, get stomped on like a piece of dead grass. Instead of polluting above ground they do it beneath the ground. Is a pitiful amount of money worth more than future farm land and water tables.

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Oh I'm not saying that there are those that don't resist - the mainstream population doesn't back them up. Where are the huge marches, stating enough is enough?

We continue to purchase these fossil fuels because they make our lives moar awesome & the true cost to society & this planet is not factored into the pump price. Indeed - we actually subsidise the FFI heavily!

We are an insane bunch.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Is a pitiful about of money worth more than future farm land and water tables.
I've been pondering this whole fracking thing and wondering at the true economic value of it and have thought the same thing .... that it can't possibly be *that* worth it. But then if you consider the thought that (conspiracy hat on) there's a desire to own or control water resources world wide then polluting free water is indeed a worthwhile achievement.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've been pondering this whole fracking thing and wondering at the true economic value of it and have thought the same thing .... that it can't possibly be *that* worth it. But then if you consider the thought that (conspiracy hat on) there's a desire to own or control water resources world wide then polluting free water is indeed a worthwhile achievement.
You should have a look at how privatised water supply worked out for Bolivia.

Oh I'm not saying that there are those that don't resist - the mainstream population doesn't back them up. Where are the huge marches, stating enough is enough?

We continue to purchase these fossil fuels because they make our lives moar awesome & the true cost to society & this planet is not factored into the pump price. Indeed - we actually subsidise the FFI heavily!

We are an insane bunch.
We don't really do that well. Do you remember the pitiful efforts at protesting Howard's war?

Flow-Rider

Burner
DontFrackTheTerritory and there's a lot on Jeremy Buckingham's sites about it.

We are an insane bunch.
It drives me nuts how some people travel an extra 30kms in their car a day, for a few dollars extra a week of pay that most likely gets consumed in running costs of their car.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I have a few mates that are Electricians that worked on the gas port in QLD and not even the bolts and washers for cable trays were sort from local businesses. Then I see things in the media like how we buy our own gas back from overseas suppliers at a cheaper cost.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
DontFrackTheTerritory and there's a lot on Jeremy Buckingham's sites about it.

It drives me nuts how some people travel an extra 30kms in their car a day, for a few dollars extra a week of pay that most likely gets consumed in running costs of their car.
But those few extra dollars each day add up and may be thousands by the end of the year. And when you're having a pissing contest with your "mates" about who is makes the best dollars, that's where it counts. Nobody asks about the cost of running your car in a pissing contest.

Z

Zaf

Why don't we stop fracking ? It was no good in the US and it's no good here.
Have a read of the inquiry report, or even just the summary.

https://frackinginquiry.nt.gov.au/inquiry-reports/final-report

The first listed member of the inquiry panel has more years in teaching and research alone than I have been alive, acting as Director/Dept.head or Deputy for Water Science, Water Studies Center, Dept. of Chemistry & Biology (Monash University), CRC of Freshwater Ecology, etc. That's just one member of the panel, and all of their resumes read in a very similar way.

And "It is the Panel’s opinion that, provided that all of the recommendations made in this Report are adopted and implemented in their entirety, not only should the risks associated with an onshore shale gas industry be minimised to an acceptable level, in some instances, they can be avoided altogether."

I consider myself a pretty smart person, on a range of subjects, but I find myself without much leg to stand on in order to object to the findings of that panel. It's also nice to see the process of Gov't work in which they defer to the judgement of experts and then follow through, rather than ignore, the recommendations put forward by them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Binaural

Eats Squid
I opened the report to see what the basic findings were for myself, and was confronted with 60+ pages of hugely detailed discussion. The actual meat of the recommendations are buried in an anonymous table on page 58 in size 6 font. Ah, government, never change.

Z

Zaf

I opened the report to see what the basic findings were for myself, and was confronted with 60+ pages of hugely detailed discussion. The actual meat of the recommendations are buried in an anonymous table on page 58 in size 6 font. Ah, government, never change.
That's just the summary report. Full report is XBAWKS HEUGE!!!
The recommendations and risk factors are all fairly comprehensively explored within the different chapters. For me, it doesn't matter how small they write them, if the body says "follow these recommendations" and then they're being followed, I think it's commendable behavior.

Binaural

Eats Squid
IMO putting the good stuff on the last page is still summary report malpractice, hiss.

It is interesting that the expert panel concluded that the risks of fracking are manageable in principle, but it seems far from a solved problem in practice. But we'll never know if the problems can be resolved unless are willing to let companies try, provided we set clear guidelines for them to operate within.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
View whilst making toast arguing with Moorey:

There is an uncanny similarity here...different water and cityscape rather than bush, but...toast, scrambled eggs, verandah, Sunshine and once I brush my teeth I'm going to ride along the cycleway and get some coffee.

Up early with the sun. Figured I'd sweep, mop, wipe down all the benches, clean the stove, clean the bathroom, load the dishwasher, wash the shit that didn't fit, make some coffee, spill coffee grinds across bench and floor, spill scambled eggs across stove top, wipe and sweep again, clean stove again. I've gotta work this order out better.

I've had to do some shit commutes for work like northern extreme of the Sydney metro area to the southern extreme (3 hrs a day on a good day), Campbeltown (3hrs and $18 a day in tolls), northern beaches to auburn via public transport ( including the famed red rattler at 5:30am in winter).

The $$$s ain't nothing to the way it grinds you down, how people manage it in more congested cities is beyond me.

Now I'm 10 mins away, gonna make this one last as long as I can.