What does your day look like?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I've had to do some shit commutes for work like northern extreme of the Sydney metro area to the southern extreme (3 hrs a day on a good day), Campbeltown (3hrs and $18 a day in tolls), northern beaches to auburn via public transport ( including the famed red rattler at 5:30am in winter).

The $$$s ain't nothing to the way it grinds you down, how people manage it in more congested cities is beyond me.

Now I'm 10 mins away, gonna make this one last as long as I can.
My commute is rather epic - south to north,3hrs a day, but I absolutely love my job & have trained them to expect me to walk out the door at 4pm. That way I’m still home by 5:30pm & can squeeze in a ride.

The small concessions really do make a difference. Oh, and trains. God I love a fast train service above driving a fucking car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
My commute is rather epic - south to north,3hrs a day, but I absolutely love my job & have trained them to expect me to walk out the door at 4pm. That way I’m still home by 5:30pm & can squeeze in a ride.

The small concessions really do make a difference. Oh, and trains. God I love a fast train service above driving a fucking car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NFI how you do it. I'm 18 mins from my office, and loath when I go to site and have a 90 minute drive home. Granted sitting on a train is easier then driving.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm working 2 jobs, so have 2 very different commutes. The good commute is a 10 minute ride along the harbour. It is quite picturesque, the only problems being arsehole cyclists who think a shared path is a race track and morons that can't walk in a straight line. The bad commute is a 15 minute walk to the bus stop followed by a 30 minute bus ride. Fuck I hate buses! Nothing about this commute is good. I could replace it with a 30-40 minute ride...along the high way and all up hill. This will probably happen when the days are cooler as customer service and stink man don't mix. But it's also teetering on "fuck this shit" and second the good commute offers more hours it's a done deal.

Like @hifiandmtb I don't mind train commuting. For me it is usually an extension of kicking back in the lounge room, except I usually wear clothes on the train.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
When I commuted I had a 22 or 24km run to the inner west. Good days it was 33 minutes, bad days maybe 45. Worst ever with a couple of accidents was 55 minutes. A mate lived the opposite side of the city and had the benefit (?) Of the SE freeway. His best time was 18 minutes (deep dark night). Average was 65 minutes. Worst never happened because after 4 hours he just drove home.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Worst commute was 52k’s one way, on a first year apprentice wages. I paid half my wage in fuel and running costs for the six months I stuck it out. Cue a few other job changes bouncing around sydney.

When I found my current job in alexandria I was able to get public transport, ride from grays point to sutherland through loftus trails at 4:30am, train into redfern that landed at 6, grab a coffee and chill for half hr then stroll into work once the sweats had subsided. It was a good life.

Finished my time and they threw me in a ute, so commuting is now free however it takes me 50mins to an hr in the morning, and atleast an hr in the afternoon. I honestly miss the morning/afternoon rides and being able to zone out on the train, like poodle said I just treated it as couch time. However after dropping $130 into my car a week the fuel card/rego/maintenance paid for is a blessing! Those savings have allowed me to own my old 75 series landcruiser, and spend up on my fleet of trannies whilst still being able to save (homeloans are a bitch and I hate sydney property just quietly).

I’ve looked locally but theres no work for me, unless I want to go back to driving 100k’s a day into wollongong. Not too keen on that, even though it is a nicer drive.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
save (homeloans are a bitch and I hate sydney property just quietly).
Buy where you can. Live where you work. Worry about the family dream home in a few years when you have build up better buying power.

Yes, Mr Money Moustache would not be pleased but I'm stinging to ride somewhere new without driving for hours.
While I strongly discourage the promotion of businesses not sponsoring the site (all you tight arse Tasmanian fuckers getting a lot of free arse kissing listen up! And full props to the Kelly gang @KellysBikeaus in advance) I am very interested to hear how this place rides, given proximity etc. I'm sure you'll work out a way to walk the fine line...

Perhaps there is a way to get some of these mega parks to jump on board?

We have no shower facilities at work, so I drive, whilst only a 10 min drive there are some decent hills that would be a lung buster on the bike, with, amazingly (for the CC), a bus lane for part of it !!

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The $$$s ain't nothing to the way it grinds you down, how people manage it in more congested cities is beyond me.
Very true. For a lot of people their commute is like working - with no pay!

(Rhetorical question) how many hrs are we working each week/month/yr with no pay! And, don't we work to earn money to do the things that bring us happiness. So, what is the point of working for nothing and gain no happiness from it - argh!

Unless of course, you find happiness from working!?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Very true. For a lot of people their commute is like working - with no pay!

(Rhetorical question) how many hrs are we working each week/month/yr with no pay! And, don't we work to earn money to do the things that bring us happiness. So, what is the point of working for nothing and gain no happiness from it - argh!

Unless of course, you find happiness from working!?
Don't over think that too much...you'll end up throwing it all in and living in a cave. We must consume to have meaning! For a little irony I am looking online for sneakers right now to replace my pinged favourites. Needing 1 pair is suddenly "do I get 3 or 4 pairs?"

The research shows that satisfying work does indeed bring much fulfilment. The trick is finding satisfying work.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Is the work meaningful? Do you feel empowered and valued for your input? Is your work environment safe, inspiring, and comfortable? Do you enjoy the team/s you work with? And on and on and on...to make you work harder.