What does your day look like?

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Today has been a cracker,got a solid ride in this morning and felt good on the bike, trees still down everywhere though.

Got home and the kids had pulled out the advent calendar and discovered the Elf on the Shelf that magically appeared over night, so made a good start on the Xmas decorations, then washed a few weeks of dust and crap off the car that was filthy even though it's been garaged for pretty much the entire time.

Then got a call from one of the school dads saying he was having impromptu B'day beers around Marrickville of all places, so jumped on a pushy and made my way over to play tour director, good beers and tacos...now about to head out for dinner with the BiLs family before they shoot over to Ireland for 6 weeks.

Tomorrow maybe a slow day

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Had to finish off camping set up today. I was a bit doughy yesterday. Almost qualified for a public service pension. Didnt help I had a badly bruised heel. Anyway betterer today. Park has been closed over a month and there has been an impact on wildlife. Fewer little birds and now that there is water sitting in buckets hundreds if not thousands of native bees. Plenty of European bees too near the beach shower. Might have turned that on a little.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Is there much of a fire risk there dale?
No more than usual this time of year. I dont feel that we are camping in a tinderbox. The bush is typical coastal heath for the sub tropics which is a mix of eucalypt, paperbark and sheoak with grasses beneath. If it catches it will go. When we head out I will take some shots of what has already gone up. Light showers last night ans a good few mm this morning all help.

Track was chewed up really badly from the number of rural fire vehicles bashing through and the lack of rain to settle the sand down. And the fuckwits. Cannot forget the fuckwits. Yesterday some Triton owner struggled up the beach and parked on the walking track from the camping ground to the beach. Why? I asked him to please move, very politely for me. Oh? I can't park here? Where can I park? Anywhere on the the 20km of beach? FFS. Later on he stripped out of his boardies into normal shorts. Standing starkers in the middle of a group of 5 or 6 families. I would post a pic but I didnt have my macro lens on.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Aspiring Triton owner takes out his frustrations on the general public with unsolicited displays of his arse.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yikes, I've seen some sketchy mishaps before but that's not one you'd typically expect.

One that's similar that does catch a lot of folk out is using gloves with bench grinders/angle grinders. Most folk assume it's safer but if the gloves catch and drag your hand in you're in for a much worse time than just buzzing off a little skin with no gloves.

Another one that catches a lot of people out is using a welder or grinder while wearing those polyester fabric flouro "safety" jumpers. It takes a bit, but once they light they turn very flammable really fast and tend to be pretty adhesive while burning. Quality full cotton work clothes are definitely best for hotwork.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Yikes, I've seen some sketchy mishaps before but that's not one you'd typically expect.

One that's similar that does catch a lot of folk out is using gloves with bench grinders/angle grinders. Most folk assume it's safer but if the gloves catch and drag your hand in you're in for a much worse time than just buzzing off a little skin with no gloves.

Another one that catches a lot of people out is using a welder or grinder while wearing those polyester fabric flouro "safety" jumpers. It takes a bit, but once they light they turn very flammable really fast and tend to be pretty adhesive while burning. Quality full cotton work clothes are definitely best for hotwork.
Mishaps like this?

yeah I’ve been a chippie and a steel worker all my working life. You’re spot on.
I’ve learned a few of those lessons the hard way and seen a few others I wish hadn’t.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Had a few like that myself, though luckily not enough to leave any long lasting indentations. Buff pads are a bastard on bare skin though, they cut a divot and burn like hell. #lessonslearnedinlife lol. I have been lucky and only have a handful of nasty near-misses and (like yourself) witnessed events to base a now reasonably-cautious approach on.