What Garmin watch features do I really need for fitness?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
What about a Forerunner? Essentially the same features as the Fenix but a lot lighter and a bit cheaper.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
What about a Forerunner? Essentially the same features as the Fenix but a lot lighter and a bit cheaper.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Honestly I don't like the styling. New 265 is the same price as the Instinct Solar, and the Forerunner 255 Music is still $700
Instinct 2 Solar and Fenix 6 have the same features and I prefer the aesthetic given its a daily wear

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Slight thread necro rather than starting a new one.
My Instinct Solar is getting a bit long in the tooth so I'm thinking about upgrading.

The Instinct 2 Solar is $780, but I can get that for 15% through Bupa, which makes it $663
JB have the Fenix 6 Pro for $650 or the Sapphire glass version for $800
Given pretty much everything in the Fenix 7 is on the 6 through software updates minus some upgraded tech this is still decent value, and still $1150 on the Garmin site

I'm leaning towards a Fenix as I want to start exercising in my lunch break more (have started a C25K app to get me moving), and on the Fenix I can download music, meaning I can go phone-free for an hour, but the screens on the Fenix's aren't great and I like the clarity of the Instinct. I'd love an Epix but its sooo exxy.
Anyone got both and can halp?
Yell out when you're ready to upgrade. I've been waiting for my OG instinct to die on me so I can buy a solar, but the thing won't quit
I've accumulated many broken bones and scars, as well as dunking and spraying it in all sorts of things watches shouldn't like, but I can't kill it to justify a fancy new one.

Does the solar live up to expectations? As in, if you spend a bit of time mucking around outside can you get away with bugger all charging?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Can confirm these are bullet proof. Handed mine down for a forerunner 245. Was mostly the customaisable interface that I wanted, but man that intinct battery lasts forever and cannot break.
Can confirm that they are not literally bullet proof though. Had a stone fly up from a whipper snipper and crack the screen. It kept going for months though and would probably be still going except I forgot that the screen was cracked and went swimming and water must have got in and the HR stopped working. Great watches and are very tough and I bought another one to replace the broken one. New one is the solar and while the battery definitely seems to last longer, it is more a case of prolonging the battery life rather than actually charging it up.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Yell out when you're ready to upgrade. I've been waiting for my OG instinct to die on me so I can buy a solar, but the thing won't quit
I've accumulated many broken bones and scars, as well as dunking and spraying it in all sorts of things watches shouldn't like, but I can't kill it to justify a fancy new one.

Does the solar live up to expectations? As in, if you spend a bit of time mucking around outside can you get away with bugger all charging?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I reliably get 28 days out of mine whatever I do, which is good. As said above, the solar keeps the battery topped up and the days I do spend outside it does seem to add a day or so. I think the new version is a bit more streamlined in that it can last ‘forever’ if you give it enough sunlight