What happened to good advice and service?

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Is it my imagination or quiet a few bicycle stores taking advantage of people?

Back in my day (this is how this fits in the VET section), I use to go to the bicycle store and get good advice for free, but it seems now day’s advice is directly connected to making money.

Just recently a friend went to a large and 'reputable' store to purchase a bike, with his heart set on a specific bike, but was talked into buying a different model because the bike he wanted was not in stock. As part of the sale they said they would set it up for his specific needs and body… though I really question if they did as he ended up with a shock with springs designed for someone half his weight.

I did advise him that the spring was way too soft (thus why his forks were bottoming out on a straight track) and that he should take it back and ask for a heavier duty spring. Anyhow, when he took it back for the spring they advised him that a heavier duty spring would be too stiff (mind you they wanted $200 just for the spring), and what he needed was a new set of forks - which coincidently, they had in stock. I don't understand how they could justify trying to sell him new forks to replace the new forks already on the new bike at an additional new cost. Does anyone else see something wrong with this?

It’s pretty disgusting how things are going in the bike store world. The guy who bought the bike is a really nice guy with a great heart who always is nice to everyone - he doesn't deserve crap like this. What happened to good quality advice and service without all the bullshit? Has anyone else come across bad practices like this, or am I just a naïve old fart who is not up with the times?

Last edited:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
That's a shame.
Good service still exists though.
I have had bad service in the past from shops who will remain nameless, but I must say, 'bike ride' in Hobart CBD is win for info and service.
All the staff are happy to talk tech, offer suggestions or even just av'a'laff. There is enough combined knowledge in that shop to troubleshoot most any querie.
The manager is also hands on with sponsoring and coaching a team and is a real grass roots campaigner for cycling.

So many times I have been in there and have asked a question and come out with a solution to a problem without having to open my wallet.

The flip side is that because I get such good service, I buy all my big ticket items and a majority of my smalls from them.

The guys all go for regular shop rides and are open invitation to all, and are very welcoming as a bunch.

The only thing I would wish for is that they stocked Schwalbe tyres and tubes. But that's not a service issue.
I couldn't recommend a better shop.

Also try Berry Mountain Cycles if you really want one on one care and service that is tailor made to each customer.
They are good listeners and really try their best to help you meet your cycling needs and goals. Kudos to BMC.

One common thread to these two stores is that they are bike fit nuts. The bike has to fit you before they'll let you roll out the door.

Last edited:

BKMad

Likes Dirt
I'd be looking to see if he could take it back for a refund or at minimum an exchange for a bike that fits him. The way I see it, the bike needs to be fit for purpose. It currently isn't. I'm not sure on the consumer law on this sort of thing, but I thought the consumer could return goods for a refund if they've been sold to them under false pretenses or the goods are not fit for purpose.

Cypher

Likes Dirt
In Sydney quite a few bike stores have shut shop. Why go to all the bother of going to a shop when you have the equivalent chance of getting something not exactly what you wanted - as compared to an online shop?

I used to think that owning a bike shop was a pretty risk free business - some places it seems like the shops can sell the bikes quick enough. So it was pretty shocking (in a way) that these stores are shutting down.

nathanm

Eats Squid
I actually think this has always happened in retail/sales, depending on how cut throat that particular industry is/was at the time.

Bike Shops are struggling, people are struggling to keep food on their table. The salesperson in your particular case was (unlikely) just uneducated and truly believed in what he was selling. Or (most likely) saw an opportunity to make a healthy profit for both the business and themselves from a person who doesn't (yet) know better. With the exception of the fitment I would do exactly the same thing without regret.

On face value this person got a $400 saving which is a good deal. yes he may have got a better spec bike from a different manufacturer but regardless they still gave him an excellent discount. Yes you can put a heavier spring in a set of Dart 1 forks to make them work but a set of Reba's will be far superior regardless of what frame you put them on.

At the end of the day this new rider has a bike that he's probably well stoked with and had the money to purchase (until he works out it's too small perhaps) he's kept a business open and food on someones table, perhaps not a lot of negatives here?

In the automotive industry this happens every hour, why buy a $30k ford when you can buy a $20k Hyundai?

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My mate and I discuss this all the time.
In a time when local retailers are getting slammed by OS offerings such as CRC, Wiggle and Jenson, service is the one area where the Local Bike Shop has the chance to set itself apart. I buy both locally and overseas - if my lbs can come close to the OS price, I'd rather go there. But like I say, it needs to be based on service.

Here in melbourne I find Ross at iRide Bikes absolutely awesome. He knows his stuff and is genuinely passionate about bikes. He's never made me feel guilty for the odd OS purchase I've made, even when I've taken it to him to fit or fix. There are still good operators out there - just not enough of them...

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
The good old days didn't have the internet. Many people are taking advantage of physical stores with no intention to buy there, just to touch, feel, ask advice before buying cheaper online. The shops are wasting time on serving these people so I can understand why some retailers are getting jadded.

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
I understand and agree with many of the comments here, but I think there is no excuse for ripping people off. I too would prefer to purchase at a store, and if I need specific info that only a shop can offer, I would prefer to go to them instead of purchasing online, even for a few more dollars. But service like the one mentioned is just crap, and I personally wont ever go to that store, as will others who realise what has happened.

Then stores wonder why they can't sell items.

He did finally go back to ask for the spring to be replaced, and they asked him for $200. Seriously, the spring costs between $25 - $50. How can they justify asking $150 to turn a bolt and replace a drop in part?

Anyhow... rant over.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I'd be really disappointed with that as well, in that case I'd be looking for a new LBS really. There is nothing wrong with a shop suggesting a different bike that they have in stock etc, but I have a problem with the fact they sold him the wrong size and what not.

In comparison to your situation I was moving form NSW to WA, looking to buy a bike I found a LBS in a town near the one I was moving to (where I moved didn't have any). We arranged to buy a certain bike, paid a deposit, picked it up on our way through, they changed the stock forks out for me for the ones I had for free on the spot.
Ever since my first bike purchase whenever I rang them they knew me by name even over the phone! Living a fair drive away they didn't get that much business from me over the last 4yrs but service has always remained the same. I've since moved to that bigger town nearby where that LBS is, there are 2 others I could go to, but I regard their service so highly that I would give them my business over going elsewhere, most particularly for any new complete bikes I want to buy (for us or the kids) even if it meant sticking with the brands they stock rather than other brands.
Admittedly I don't live in a big city and the store is a small family owned business . There is great service out there and when you find it it's those places that are worth supporting where possible.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I understand and agree with many of the comments here, but I think there is no excuse for ripping people off. I too would prefer to purchase at a store, and if I need specific info that only a shop can offer, I would prefer to go to them instead of purchasing online, even for a few more dollars. But service like the one mentioned is just crap, and I personally wont ever go to that store, as will others who realise what has happened.

Then stores wonder why they can't sell items.

He did finally go back to ask for the spring to be replaced, and they asked him for $200. Seriously, the spring costs between $25 - $50. How can they justify asking $150 to turn a bolt and replace a drop in part?

Anyhow... rant over.
seriously that is criminal and good on you for raising this. You need to go back in there with your friend and his bike and tell them they have made a mistake - take charge Rhino. You friend is new to this and being taken for a ride. Write down your concerns with the purchase and the service and go straight to the owner - be honest and respectful but knowledgeable (do your research on RRP from other stores) as well.
" there seems to have been a mistake here, my friend purchased this bike from you which obviously does not suit him............................"

Howie66

Likes Dirt
seriously that is criminal and good on you for raising this. You need to go back in there with your friend and his bike and tell them they have made a mistake - take charge Rhino. You friend is new to this and being taken for a ride. Write down your concerns with the purchase and the service and go straight to the owner - be honest and respectful but knowledgeable (do your research on RRP from other stores) as well.
" there seems to have been a mistake here, my friend purchased this bike from you which obviously does not suit him............................"

Name and shame I say, they will stop doing it if they run the risk of their name being made mud if theres a chance their name will come up on Australias Biggest MTB website..

New thread? lol

My 2c

On another note Im lucky that my local bike shop are so good.. Such friendly, if I say I want to spend 1000 they will do thier best to get me a 1500 bike down to that price..

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Name and shame I say, they will stop doing it if they run the risk of their name being made mud if theres a chance their name will come up on Australias Biggest MTB website..

New thread? lol

My 2c

On another note Im lucky that my local bike shop are so good.. Such friendly, if I say I want to spend 1000 they will do thier best to get me a 1500 bike down to that price..
Most bike shops in Melbourne are friendly and I get great service where I put in the effort - it is a two way street.

toofar22

Likes Dirt
I am trying to find a shop in Melbourne for my business. I want the relationship and I want them to care for my bike.

I thought I found one. But after my first experience with them for the first service on my tracer 275 they changed the rear derailleur from an x9 to an x0 without telling me. Hardly professional. They then also neglected to order a bash guard for me despite 3 reminders, i ended up buying online and fitting myself.

What's wrong with these people? Don't they want my money??

driftking

Wheel size expert
100% agree go back and ask for a refund.
I am lucky to have great stores locally, they were happy to change springs for nothing because it takes no time, I didn't even buy the spring through them but they were happy to switch it out for nothing. I have fallen victim to the sales pitchers too. unfortunately its the way the world goes sometimes, its about profit. They have brands and bikes that they get for good wholesale prices so they push those for sales. If they don't have the bike you want, do you think they are going to let a sale walk out the door? Nope. They try to sell you what they can.

p.s. I hope he was given the old spring too?

Last edited:

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am trying to find a shop in Melbourne for my business. I want the relationship and I want them to care for my bike.

I thought I found one. But after my first experience with them for the first service on my tracer 275 they changed the rear derailleur from an x9 to an x0 without telling me. Hardly professional. They then also neglected to order a bash guard for me despite 3 reminders, i ended up buying online and fitting myself.

iRide Bikes. King street. Nuff said.

imago

Likes Bikes
I have really only gotten into bikes recently, but my experience has generally left me with little sympathy for the LBS vs CRC. I have tried to learn about fixing my own bike as much as possible, but in the past year got charged $149 to replace a non-series threaded BB, which took three weeks to get done (probably ordered the part from CRC) and lasted 3 months. A XT purchased later was $40. Bought a brake bleed kit from a different shop and asked for some tips on brake bleeds, they said they don't offer tips on fixing bikes, just bring it in. Purchased some degreaser from another shop and a question about grease...and was told I shouldn't fix my own bike-it's like a car, leave it to the pros.

It's not the space shuttle, the beauty in any bike is their simplicity, and I have found my enjoyment of the bike increase so much more from working on it. Also, i don't think universities are offering PHDs in bike service yet. I think bike shops should capitalise on service, and good advice, as this sets them apart from a website. Until then...why would I bankrupt myself at an LBS if all they offer is an elitist attitude?

driftking

Wheel size expert
I have really only gotten into bikes recently, but my experience has generally left me with little sympathy for the LBS vs CRC. I have tried to learn about fixing my own bike as much as possible, but in the past year got charged $149 to replace a non-series threaded BB, which took three weeks to get done (probably ordered the part from CRC) and lasted 3 months. A XT purchased later was $40. Bought a brake bleed kit from a different shop and asked for some tips on brake bleeds, they said they don't offer tips on fixing bikes, just bring it in. Purchased some degreaser from another shop and a question about grease...and was told I shouldn't fix my own bike-it's like a car, leave it to the pros.

It's not the space shuttle, the beauty in any bike is their simplicity, and I have found my enjoyment of the bike increase so much more from working on it. Also, i don't think universities are offering PHDs in bike service yet. I think bike shops should capitalise on service, and good advice, as this sets them apart from a website. Until then...why would I bankrupt myself at an LBS if all they offer is an elitist attitude?
Ironically most store hire young school riders because they are cheap to hire, they also have limited knowledge on bikes and they are completing the work.
The "pros" working on your bike may just be less knowledgeable than you think.

Bikes are a matter of right tools and instructions.
The most important thing id say with bikes are a matter of tensions. Few torque wrenches and the instructions your pretty solid.

Key is to read and watch instructions until you know what your doing before doing it and start on a old banger that wont matter if you screw it up.

Tazzy

Likes Bikes
Iride is good but love my mountain doug on tools is awesome

Might want to try my mountain in Brunswick doug on the tools and Tim never fail