What happened to good advice and service?

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I took my almost 8yr old daughter out to some shops looking for a new bike, 18yr old in the 3rd shop asked her for her name and talked to her. WOW.
After looking at some bikes, she wants a ride (other shops said no, no space in here), yep of course, we have a spot out the back for you.....

How hard is it?????

I may not buy a $600 kids bike but I will be back, she even says it is her favourite bike shop.

The 1st shop we went to got a cheque for almost $13000 (insurance) to build my dream bike a few years ago and have never been nice with my kids.....

Last edited:

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^

As a Dad it makes a big difference how your kids are treated at the LBS.

I now drive over an hour to go to my "LBS" passing 3 others on the way because the last shop remembers what they ride, where we ride and gives them the time of day whilst Dad is doing other stuff. Suffice to say we bought 4 bikes there in the last 12 months and get our major servicing done there as well.

And guess what - I know for a fact they are not the cheapest and they sure as hell aint the most convienent for me but I am willing to sacrifice both of those things for the great service they provide.

People need to understand there is a difference in Sales between actually making a sale and taking an order - most LBS can take orders all day long but so can the dreaded internet. If they can actually "make a sale" which involves a full experience and above average service - people will come back and the business will be around for the long haul. Once you start taking orders, you become just another supplier like eveyone else and if your prices arent the best you will eventually stop taking orders....

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Seriously, Bike Shops are synonymous with second hand car dealers and real estate agents.

It's really quite amazing to me that this particular industry is so renowned for such horrible service and dodgy behaviour.

Silverstreak

Likes Bikes
When I bought my dually about a year ago I shopped around the many bike shops we have in wollongong (and down to Nowra when work took me down there) and 3 of them were good, 7 were varying degrees of mediocre to crap. 1 of the 3 was a Bike Hub. Great service but they didn't have any bikes for me. Same deal with the one in Nowra. The one I bought my Remedy from was great. The guy knows my name and is always on for a chat. So he is first choice for everything. If he doesn't have it, then Bike Hub is next. And they have helped me heaps.

What was amazing was the number of shops telling me what to buy instead of listening to what I wanted. The amount of people pushing 29ers despite my stated lack of interest in them was incredible. At the time I was looking at a Stumpjumper but not one Specialized dealer had a 26er built and either kept trying to push me into a 29er or another bike entirely that they just happened to have on the floor in my size. A Giant dealer, after me saying what I was after said, "You want an Anthem, maybe a Trance. At your age you don't need more than 4 inches of travel." I was 29 at the time. :twitch:

So yeah, customer service is a dying art.

Jettn

Squid
My Local sports store is a classic if they don't have it instock they say it isn't made and you can't get it since when have cassettes smaller than 36 tooth for mtb not been made???? everybody runs cable disc brakes hydro brakes are crap!!! lol, you have to shake your head sometimes and just walk out not to go there again.

treble

Likes Dirt
I buy almost all my stuff online. and I personally couldn't give a shit if its bad for my local stores.

I'm so tired of hearing "No we don't have those, but we can order them in for you," for even the most basic items.
Please explain to me why i would bother ordering minor parts through your store when its going to take longer than online, cost more, and be less convenient than it showing up at my house? because ill have some warm fuzzy feeling because I'm 'supporting a local'? Blow it out your ass. I've had some shitty jobs over the years, so I'm never rude to or look down on people in shops (well, except one certain car audio shop owner i gave a serve once, but he was a dead set asshole.) But I'm sorry, It's not a 'two way street,' I'm the customer, give me great service regardless if I'm spending $10 or $1000 or ill take the thousands of dollars i spend annually on bike paraphernalia elsewhere, your choice. Want to compete with online stores? Be better, don't put it on us.

I get better service online than in most stores anyway, the other day wiggle sent me the wrong size seat post clamp. I't wasn't even their fault, I ordered a 35mm, the box said 35mm, but chromag had put a 36mm in the box. When i emailed them, i got a polite, quick response asking for a photo. The next day i got another email apologising and telling me that the new one was on the way already.

Rang a local store the other day to ask about possible suspension upgrades, tried to make it as clear as possible that i was willing to drop big dollars and would order the suspension through their store should they be able to advise me. I got "we will have to ring the manufacturer and get back to you." Still haven't heard anything.

Rang another 'local' store recently to see if they had replacement pads for my avid codes in stock (was racing the next day and my rears were shot), was assured they had them, so I took the 30 min drive out to the shop, only to spend as further 20 minutes trying to convince one of these "expert" mechanics that avid elixir pads wouldn't work in my Codes because they are 4 pot. and then get "Oh, Ok, we can order those for you"

Most 'local stores' are shit. And i couldn't care less if they go out of business.

/End Rant

- Please note the above comments do not apply to My Mountain in Melb, The Bike Vault in Castlemane or Pushys in Canberra, who are all, in my eyes, excellent stores. but sadly are too far to qualify as local.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Bike mechanics and store workers get paid squat too sometimes I wonder where the money goes. I really would love to see a stores cash flow statement. I still wonder how many of them are "not turning a profit" and which ones are saying that but in reality are "not turning the profit goal"

indica

Serial flasher
I still wonder how many of them are "not turning a profit" and which ones are saying that but in reality are "not turning the profit goal"
I'd say the majority don't actually sell big ticket items alot. Must be hard living off tyre sales and the skimmings from the mechanics charge.

Slowman

Likes Dirt

Rang a local store the other day to ask about possible suspension upgrades, tried to make it as clear as possible that i was willing to drop big dollars and would order the suspension through their store should they be able to advise me. I got "we will have to ring the manufacturer and get back to you." Still haven't heard anything.
In 1993 some time in June I did actually get a call back from my LBS Durban at Sutherland (back then it was run by 2 French guys, Pierre and Bernard) "'allo your new bike is 'ere! It is ready to ride!" So don't say it never happens :laugh:

Those guys had character, Pierre was uglier than Gerard Depardue but a nice guy and a good mechanic, the wheels on the bike stayed true forever. Not until about 8 years later when I wore through the braking surface and the rim needed replacing did they require any maintenance. The rebuilt one was just as true and rock solid. Bernard would do his best for you, I recall I ordered a wetsuit and hoped to get in time for Christmas, I'd been ringing him every day "is it here yet?" Finally on Christmas Eve I ring and in exasperation he swears to me "ar ring the guy, I scream at him and ever 'thing! But it will be 'ere after Boxing Day" - now that's service :laugh:

Last edited:
Just bought a bike from my lbs. been four months in the works. Sold out till august. Massive strings pulled. Bike arrived two months early. Best service ever. Small shop big service. Two Monkeys Penshurst. Thanks a million Les

No, it's not your imagination. It's just part of getting older - and some of the few rewards that ageing brings - meaning wiser, and inevitably, shrewder.

Part of the above means that older, more experienced cyclists usually know what they want, do their homework, and while most have the maturity to seek and listen to advice from others with an open mind, usually also know how to sort the good from the bad. Life experience has shown time and again that a good salesman will always try and sell what he has in stock first, and second, offer to place an order for a non-stock item in exchange for a deposit. That is after all, what his boss pays him/her to do, and in turn, pays his/her wages. Unfortunately, there are those who are unscrupulous and always try to take advantage of the unsuspecting who aimlessly wander through their doorway.

Good advice should never be considered to be free - most of it comes from experience, both good and bad, and has usually cost someone something in terms of dollars or lost time to earn that experience. Simply put, the person at your LBS is there to earn a living, so if you feel that you have been given sound advice, reward them somehow for their time spent talking with you. This face to face contact is something you can not find on the internet.

Make no mistake - times are tough in retail in Australia right now - and coupled with the rapid growth of internet based discounters, the game has changed forever for our LBS's. Heck, even the guys who work in my LBS's buy from online discounters - the prices can't be matched by their employers even at cost price from Australian Distributors! Some have put strategies in place to survive, (such as increasing the size of their service departments) while others have'nt found an answer.

By comparison, what is happening in the bike industry today started in the computer industry around 10 years ago and changed the retail scene there forever - most computer shops now derive their income from servicing and repairs, routine stuff like virus removal etc. and the supply of higher end equipment to a niche market, leaving the sales of discount components to the online retailers or discount chains. Our LBS's will need to go the same route to survive - and some will evolve survival strategies, some won't. Their problem is compounded by our homegrown Australian Distributors, whose response has been to reduce stock levels and the lines they carry (but maintain their substantial profit margins) to try and survive as part of their defensive postion to combat online discounting. I have had this discussion with many of the LBS's and it is one thing we all agree on - as evidenced by my (frustrated) attempts to order parts through them from their local Distributors only to find that said Distributor has either no stock; or can not advise when the item will re-stocked; or has deleted that product line from what they import from the manufacturer; or has a RRP of double the price that the identical item can be purchased on-line.

The simple fact is that some of our LBS's are switched on and some aren't. It's all a matter of shopping around and finding a LBS who you can deal with and those you can't and should avoid. Definitely speak with your LBS staff to get to know them, and give them a chance to know you - once they find out you have owned more than one bike or have more than one in your stable, many cycling k's under your belt and are looking at mid-range or up-market for your next purchase, their attitude toward you will change significantly. It's also worth asking about warranties on frames and component parts for various brands, spare parts backup and product recalls by manufacturers for any reason. This is where local expertise comes in. Also, it's worth talking to fellow enthusiasts or club members to find out where they go for their needs and why they go there. For example, I took my rear wheel to a LBS, the largest retailer in Adelaide for my bike (one of the big brand names) and asked about having some broken spokes replaced and the rim re-trued. I was told that they were booked out for two weeks solid and that it would mean a three-week turnaround - take it or leave it. As a temporary measure, I bought the spare spokes and replaced same myself and re-trued the wheel to reasonable accuracy to get the bike back on the road. This led me to visit other LBS's and eventually discovered the 'go-to' shop where most of the other LBS's send their wheels for lacing and truing. I've since built a spare wheelset for my bike and have sent eight wheels to that LBS over two months for myself and friends... all with fast turn-around.

Online forums such as this one are also worth looking at for advice or suggestions - but always be aware that due to human nature, those who have had a bad experience with a product or service will be quite vocal about it, whereas those who have had no issues with same product or service will be part of a silent majority. Temper your judgement accordingly. During a recent conversation in a local LBS the sales guy told me he didn't take online forums seriously, as he questioned the mechanical aptitude and abilities of those making complaints. Oh well - each to their own.

For me personally, I'm happy to buy most of my parts online, and would likely buy my next new complete bike from one of my favourite LBS, provided that their pricing is fair. Servicing work I do myself when I have the time, yet still go to my LBS to get stuff done like wheel truing or anything special - meaning if I don't have the special tools or equipment or spare time to do myself. Most likely scenario for me however, is that I will be building my next bike from scratch. I know the pros and cons of my current and previous bikes and know where I need to go next.

Each to their own - diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Caveat Emptor

quin66

Likes Dirt
My bike has been in a new lbs for 3 weeks now for what was initially a fork service and set up for 1x10.
I dropped off the bike on a Saturday and heard from them on Thursday saying its all done but my shock is in a bad way and they will send it up to Brisbane for a service and they should have it back early next week. Yup sure go ahead thanks for letting me know.
I brought second hand forks off here while I was waiting for the shock service and wanted lbs to fit as well. By Thursday I had not heard from them so dropped the fork into the shop. No worries.
I asked about the shock and they said there was a backlog of work. I asked was that with ns dynamics and was told no they had to send it to fox. The mechanic then said he could fit another shock on bike so I could be riding for the weekend. Cool I said, give me a call when its ready.......
Over a week later and still not heard from the shop.
Just want to know if 2 weeks is a long time to wait for a shock service and wouldn't you think if they are walking past my bike in the work room everyday for the past 2 weeks they could at least give me a fucking call let me know what is going on. Now I have to feel like a dick when it looks like I will be calling them this arvo.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
My bike has been in a new lbs for 3 weeks now for what was initially a fork service and set up for 1x10.
I dropped off the bike on a Saturday and heard from them on Thursday saying its all done but my shock is in a bad way and they will send it up to Brisbane for a service and they should have it back early next week. Yup sure go ahead thanks for letting me know.
I brought second hand forks off here while I was waiting for the shock service and wanted lbs to fit as well. By Thursday I had not heard from them so dropped the fork into the shop. No worries.
I asked about the shock and they said there was a backlog of work. I asked was that with ns dynamics and was told no they had to send it to fox. The mechanic then said he could fit another shock on bike so I could be riding for the weekend. Cool I said, give me a call when its ready.......
Over a week later and still not heard from the shop.
Just want to know if 2 weeks is a long time to wait for a shock service and wouldn't you think if they are walking past my bike in the work room everyday for the past 2 weeks they could at least give me a fucking call let me know what is going on. Now I have to feel like a dick when it looks like I will be calling them this arvo.
That's shit. Refitting a shock should take about 5 minutes, maybe 10 more to re-cable a remote if there was one. Remove a fork and fit a new one, half an hour max. They are dicking you around. Someone there should give a shit, and even if they're busy, put in an hour, finish the bike and get it back to you. Hammer them, they've got nothing left to stand on.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
My shock was sent from Vic to qld and back, rebuilt by NDS, and returned within 4 days. I was close to giving up fully on local shops until rediscovering customer support at my new local.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
My shock was sent from Vic to qld and back, rebuilt by NDS, and returned within 4 days. I was close to giving up fully on local shops until rediscovering customer support at my new local.
NDS are way faster than NSD. Whats with the small italics? Tripping again?

quin66

Likes Dirt
Steve Jobs definitely didn't listen to good advice.
Went in to shop today and asked if my shock has been lost in transit. No apologies or anything just told Fox are like that and would I like a loan shock.
Its a shame coz they sseem to be an awesome shop for mountain bike sales with very top end bikes. I bought my daughter a bike from there at xmas and some clothes and stuff since. Really put off by this service and not holding out they will call me like I have asked next week. I couldn't of been fucked to ask if the new forks looked any good on my bike they probably aren't even fitted yet. No feedback.

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
Being very green to bicycles i shopped around my local town and found 4 of the 5 shops, asked questions, looked at their stock, got an idea from each of the 4 i visited on what my options were. I had no preconceived ideas on who was good or bad, no technical knowledge at all!!! i know this because i am learning more daily, and not much more than a firm budget and an idea of where i wanted to ride.

I have to say the response i got from all 4 shops was encouraging, they were all helpful and enthusiastic but 2 didn't have bikes i really liked and of the other two only one involved my wife in the conversation, considering we were buying two bikes, one each, that was enough for us and since then we have made regular small purchases, had them both serviced and i've spoken to the sales staff and workshop about tyre choices, upgrades etc.

My LBS joke that they need to charge me rent! i'm in there once a week for something and i'm currently buying 1x11 components piece by piece and waiting for some tyres to arrive so i can convert to tubeless, as a noob i have no hope of getting schooled about what's best what's a waste of time etc by an online retailer, they are the domain of experienced knowledgeable cyclists who know what they want and are looking for the best deal, i need a workshop with a competent mechanic and worthwhile advice and thankfully i found a place that is willing to hold my hand while still offering fair pricing.

I'll add i scour the net looking for reviews and what not on what i _think_ i want and usually ask the shop to clarify questions and fitment etc before i purchase from them.
And the fifth shop i didn't know existed, couldn't find it, it's never open and their phone doesn't work, definitely a future statistic of the "economic downturn".

From my perspective it's not all doom and gloom, but it pays to shop around and do some homework, they're all out to earn a living and stay open, and they all usually have something to offer to customers that gravitate to their shop for whatever reason, but at the end of the day "buyer beware" is still a very valid thing to remember.

Lukaas

Squid
It's a bit sad that someone is so easily taken advantage of , good on you for helping him out, give that shop some stick.