What is your photo setup?

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey everyone,

I've been progressively upgrading my kit in the hope i'll get some worthwhile pics. And i'm keen to get some CnC on my kit and pics from the photogurus and suggestions as to how to improve it.

Here is my spec.

- Nikon D40X
- Sigma 10-20mm
- Nikon 35mm f1.8

Here are some albums with this setup.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wynterplace/sets/72157623038464150/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wynterplace/sets/72157623733478728/

I've just added to it these items, which are yet to be tested.

- Nikon SB-600
- Remote flash trigger (eBay special but seems to work well)

The new flash setup will be getting a good run at the Vic DH round at the You Yangs in a couple of weeks, so it will be interesting to see how it goes and i'll post up a link for more CnC from people when I get them uploaded.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Booost

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Canon 50d
Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 HSM
Canon 50mm 1.8
Speedlite 430exII
Cactus wireless triggers
:)

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How much was your Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 HSM? If you don't mind me asking.

I'd love a decent zoom lens, have you got a link to some pics so I can have a look?

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
24-70 is really good for a bit of a general kind of lense, i have a sigma aswell and find it really good, but i always seem to be wanting something a bit longer. might be a better option given you already have a few shorter lenses.

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We've got a couple of zoom lenses that never get used. They're the standard twin lens kit ones... 18-55 and 55-200, f3.5-5.6. They're pretty rubbish, so I just use the 50mm and the wide.

Booost

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got it for $800 off ebay, used but pretty much brand new. I think RRP is $1300 or so. It's working out really nice for me at the moment, was tossing up whether to buy a Canon 24-70mm 2.8L but this has turned out nice. Sigma make 2 different 24-70mm, one macro one without HSM (ultrasonic focus system) and the non-macro HSM model (mine) which is more expensive/much higher quality. 24-70mm is a pretty good zoom range for shooting riding. Might get a 70-200mm sometime, although I think the 24-70 would get the most use.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Canon 450d
Canon 18-55IS f3.5
Canon 55-200IS f4.5 (never use)
Canon 50 f1.8 (use almost all the time)

I need to get a flash though, i also like the look of the canon 18-55 f2.8...but i spend too much on my bike!

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So no one is using a wide angle? I use it the most for my riding pics, I love the effect of being so close the subject and yet getting so much of the background in.

From the sound of things, I think the 24-70mm will be my next purchase, or a D90 body.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
mine's a Nikon D90, i upgraded from a D40 last year. absolutely love it.

Tamron SP di AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro lens

stock Nikon DX 55-200

Sigma EX 10-20mm wide angle.

check out my photography page for some examples :)

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They're the same triggers I bought, from Protog in Mitcham VIC, I paid $50 though... They're awesome, easy to setup and use, my only gripe is there is no power switch on the transmitter, so you need to remove the battery to turn it off... At least as far as I cant tell.

I have a polariser of my wide and prime, and a UV stacked on top for protection.

Last edited:

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
Current kit:
Canon 400D
Canon 24-105L F4

Currently using my Dads camera body, the lense is mine though. :D
Will be buying a 550D body and 50mm 1.8 at the end of the year when I move to Canada. :)

anth69

Likes Dirt
trusty old Nikon D200 (my first slr )
17-55 2.8 DX
70-200 2.8 VR ( schweet lens )
polarized filter
SB 800 flash

the body is up around 18K shots and is still going fine ,it hasnt got much ISO range but ive learnt to get the best from it, id like to upgrade soon.. maybe a D700 or a D3s or x

Sam91

Likes Bikes
Canon 450D

Canon 18-55 IS - Barely use

Canon 75-300

Canon 50mm f1.8 ( my best atm haha)

Yongnuo speedlight and cactus triggers

Bits and pieces.

I'm currently saving up for a sigma 10-20

neil thompson

Likes Dirt
Hi mate your pics look nice to me.
Good to see you use a Nikon.
I have a GOOD wife she let me have some nice camera equipment and a bike.
I have a Nikon D700 body my faverate lense which I love to use most is a Nikon14-24 2.8 or I us to love most, just got a 16mm 2.8 fisheye I can get real close even used it at a wedding.
For medium I have a Nikon 24-70 2.8 dont use that much a bit boreing
For my longest shots a Nikon 70-200 2.8
I have a Nikon SB900 flash for my master a real strong flash but overheats and turns off and happen in 1min race runs on a hot day as my slave is a Nikon SB800 bullet proof left it out in a huge storm at Thredbo and it still is working
It is cheating useing nice equipment but im OLD and need as much help as I can.
A few pics showing wide angle & fish eye.

Fish eye

fisheye

Wide angle

Fisheye

Wide angle

Fisheye

Wide angle

Wide angle nice and close

Cheers Neil have fun taking DH pics

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice pics! I like the fish-eye effect, but I think it's very limited in where you can use it, as an occasional lens it would be cool, but not something i'm likely to add to the kit to take to DH races... Skate park pics though it would be awesome.

Where is that track with the massive tower at the top?