What is your photo setup?

Matt Mead

Likes Bikes
Dont know how i missed this. Im with boost longer focal length is much nicer.

I dont really shoot mountain bikes much anymore but im currently using the following for weddings:

2 x 5d mk2
24-70 f2.8L
35mm f1.4L
45mm ts-e
50mm f1.2L
135mm f2L
1.4x tele convertor

2x 580exii
1x 540ez
2x battery packs
Cyber sync triggers
LED Video light

check out my site

www.matthewmead.com.au

cooken

Likes Dirt
longer focal length is generally nicer but I think its good to throw in some wide angle shots now and then for a different perspective.

I don't get to shoot many mtb events because I'm too busy riding in them. i've seen some great set ups at some events (like the Scott 24hr last year) and some very crap set ups with very crap results.
my setup:

5d mkII
70-200 f2.8 IS II
24-105 f4 IS
15 f2.8 fisheye
50 f1.8
400 f5.6 (hand-me-down from old man for free)

580 exII
430 exII
yongnuo rf-602 triggers (agree Wizards are great but can't justify the cost when you're not a pro)

about to get a 17-40 f4 and would love a TS 90mm but I think its due to be replaced soon.

Booost

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dont know how i missed this. Im with boost longer focal length is much nicer.

I dont really shoot mountain bikes much anymore but im currently using the following for weddings:

2 x 5d mk2
24-70 f2.8L
35mm f1.4L
45mm ts-e
50mm f1.2L
135mm f2L
1.4x tele convertor

2x 580exii
1x 540ez
2x battery packs
Cyber sync triggers
LED Video light

check out my site

www.matthewmead.com.au
Your site is verrrry impressive! Blown away!

Tough with on board flash huge area to cover its great fun using it .
Cheers Neil
Yeah that's true, especially with this particular track as the trees block out most of the sunlight. Might try using a higher ISO setting next time. Would also be nice if there was an option to zoom in as you have to get very close to the object in order to get a decent shot since it's only 8mm.

Last edited:

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Yeah that's true, especially with this particular track as the trees block out most of the sunlight. Might try using a higher ISO setting next time. Would also be nice if there was an option to zoom in as you have to get very close to the object in order to get a decent shot since it's only 8mm.
... Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a fisheye?

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You could get a teleconverter ring perhaps? That would modify the focal length without changing the effect I think.

cooken

Likes Dirt
No, the Focal length is the reason for the fish eye distortion...
I don't agree. Wide angel rectilinear lenses tend to suffer from some barrel distortion ("stretching" at the edges of the frame) but the focal length doesn't make the lens a fisheye. e.g. canon makes a 14mm rectilinear lens which is a shorter focal length than their 15mm fisheye.

If you're really keen there's an explanation here

Canon recently introduced a fisheye zoom, I think it's 8-15mm. At 8mm you will have a circular image in the middle of a frame with dark edges.

song

Likes Dirt
a bit late but anyway...

Nikon D7000
Vivitar 19mm f2.8?
Nikkor 28-105 macro f3.5
Nikkor 18-105 f3.8

this thing video's crazy!

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone still on this thread? That I could bother for thoughts on comparing the 3100 to the 1100D or 550D?